LCVG

iTunes Crashing Like Crazy: Data Execution Prevention

Dimness

How do I turn off DEP? This bitch of a program keeps shutting down iTunes whenever I do something. If I'm ripping a CD, INSERTING A FUCKING CD, adding artwork, editing music tags, etc etc iTunes would crash followed by DEP closing down the program.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Data Execution Prevention would be a great name for a novel about a secret government agency staffed by former SF-types.

Maybe The Data Execution Prevention Perogative, by Tom Clancy. I'm thinking an embossed cover featuring an eagle, an M1A2 tank, an M4 rifle and maybe a tasteful fireball behind everything. Oh, and a swastika and a red rose. Can't go wrong with that combo.

Step 3 is Profit!

PC. I googled DEP and found a nice solution: turn off the damn thing. :) I already did a repair of iTunes (if that's the same thing as reinstall).

Edit: I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but this iTunes crashing deal happened around the time iPhone 3G and iTunes 7.7 came out. Funny thing is is I don't have an iPhone.

Usually, there's no distinction between "program" (runnable code) and "data" in memory. If there's a security flaw in the program, this can be exploited by writing code into the "data" area and getting the processor to run it. DEP allows programs to have regions of memory marked as "data", and it won't execute anything in those regions. Unfortunately if DEP gets enabled for all processes it can incorrectly flag data regions on programs that aren't designed for it.

DEP stands for Data Execution Prevention. It supposed to prevent "malicious" software from "executing". I think it works along the same lines as what Ryan says. It's been known to cause problems with a lot of things, like iTunes and Firefox 3.0 of all things.

My iTunes has been running smooth ever since I turned off DEP.