LCVG

Wanted: Horror movie suggestions...

Carlucci

The Mist - Must see IMO. One of my favorites in a very long time.

The Orphanage - I'll second Shane's recommendation though it is more drama than horror IMO.

Session 9 - Well, if you haven't seen it then shame on you. Fantastic and really underestimated film.

The Devil's Backbone - This one is by Del Toro and it's got some fantastic scares though like The Orphanage, there's a great deal of drama intermixed.

The Grudge - The Japanese original is a stronger film but the American remake has some really freaky shit in it. Yeah, I know most people will shit on it in this thread for having a paper thin story but the Grudge is really about the moment to moment scares to me and on that level it succeeds.

1408 - Recent film with John Cusack and Sam Jackson. It's got a REALLY strong start and it hangs in there until a little after a third of the film is over with. Then it loses steam and just hobbles along to its ending. Still, that first half/third is good shit. Well worth a rental.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose - Part court room drama, part horror film ala the Excorcist. It's a suprisingly good film thanks to a really strong cast. The demonic aspects of it will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up straight which is definitely a good thing.

The Descent- Fantastic film from Neil Marshall. The atmosphere and claustrophobic nature of its environment will make you more tense than the monsters. Another recent must view if you're a horror fan IMHO. A bit gory but not bad.

Dog Soldiers - Neil Marshall's previous films before giving us The Descent. An underappreciated gem of a werewolf movie. Very gory though.

Haute Tension - (French film with subtitles) This one may be WAY too much on the gory side for you and the story is a big mind f**k but it's a great slasher with some genuinely tense/scary moments. Very gory but very good.

I'm sure I can think of a ton of others but that will give you a start Carlos.

The Japanese version of The Eye scared the shit out of me. Havent seen it in a while though.

Not to bash Romier recommendations, but I was disappointed in (the American) The Grudge and the more recent The Mist. I think I had my hopes set too high for Darabont and I virtually got nothing from the movie.

One critically unfavored movie I enjoyed was The Darkenss with Anna Paquin. I'll try to think of some others.

Another vote for Session 9. It can creep the hell out of you way more than Silence of the Lambs.

I'd also recommend Below. It seems like moer of a cliche horror movie in that they try to get you to jump by using low music, followed by a loud sound, only the actually "jumps" occur either before or after that point.

Masters of Horror was released on Blu a few months back. Overall, they contain B - C level short stories, but they have some of the alltime greatest directing. Worth a look at least.

And I might be in the minority, but I really dug Dead Silence. It's a movie that doesn't need to have loud volume or music to make you jump out of your seat (they actually use complete silence). I wish I saw this in the theater so I can actually hear people gasp during those scenes.

hmmm.....just looking at my over 300 plus horror collection....I think the following might be what your looking for.

Scarecrows (1988) Five men heist the Camp Pendleton payroll and kidnap a pilot and his daughter, who are forced to fly them to Mexico. Enroute a double cross has one of the thieves parachute with the loot into an abandoned graveyard surrounded by strange scarecrows. The rest of the team jump after their loot and their former partner. Everything happens during the course of one very dark night.

(trailer)

Salem's Lot (2004): Writer Ben Mears returns to his childhood home of Jerusalem's Lot and discovers that it is being terrorized by vampires. (liked it better then the original!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MEC-TYORoo

Bubba Ho-tep: Elvis and JFK, both alive and in nursing homes, fight for the souls of their fellow residents as they battle an ancient Egyptian Mummy (yeah sounds stupid but trust me....it's a dark comedy and Bruce Campbell rules!!)

The Changeling (1980) (this one is Canadian made and still gives me goose bumps. No gore. No blood. Total atomosphere! You and your wife will be glued until the credits role!)

John Russell, a composer and music professor, loses his wife and daughter in a tragic accident. Seeking solace, he moves into an old mansion unoccupied for twelve years. But a child-like presence seems to be sharing the house, and trying to share its secrets, with him. Through research into the house's past and a seance held within, Russell discovers the horrific secret of the house's past, a secret that the presence will no longer allow to be kept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jZDq8sK6a8

The Howling (1981): After a bizarre and near fatal encounter with a serial killer, a newswoman is sent to a rehabilitation center whose inhabitants may not be what they seem.

John Carpenter's The Thing: Members of an American scientific research outpost in Antarctica find themselves battling a parasitic alien organism capable of perfectly imitating its victims. They soon discover that this task will be harder than they thought, as they don't know which members of the team have already been assimilated and their paranoia threatens to tear them apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQbD9t870NQ

The Birds (1963) A wealthy San Francisco playgirl pursues a potential boyfriend to a small Northern California town that slowly takes a turn for the bizarre when birds of all kinds suddenly begin to attack people there in increasing numbers and with increasing viciousness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPzho9gg8VM

The Haunting (1963 version, avoid the remake!) Dr. Markway, doing research to prove the existence of ghosts, investigates Hill House, a large, eerie mansion with a lurid history of violent death and insanity. With him are the skeptical young Luke, who stands to inherit the house, the mysterious and clairvoyant Theodora and the insecure Eleanor, whose psychic abilities make her feel somehow attuned to whatever spirits inhabit the old mansion. As time goes by it becomes obvious that they have gotten more than they bargained for as the ghostly presence in the house manifests itself in horrific and deadly ways. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq74oz6mf3w

The Excorist: Based on the 1971 novel by William Peter Blatty, The Exorcist marries three different scenarios into one extraordinary plot. A visiting actress in Washington, D.C., notices dramatic and dangerous changes in the behavior and physical make-up of her 12-year-old daughter. Meanwhile, a young priest at nearby Georgetown University begins to doubt his faith while dealing with his mother's terminal sickness. And, book-ending the story, a frail, elderly priest recognizes the necessity for a show-down with an old demonic enemy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGdbbVcKJlc

that's just to name a few.

BIG seconds on the Changeling. My favorite ghost movie of all time.

Also on The Orphanage. Great, great, great.

Amityville Horror is a good classic as well.

I also recommend the Japanese version of the Grudge (Ju-on I think it's called) as well as the Ring (Ringu). Keep in mind Japanese "ghosts" have a somewhat different folklore than western ones, and I think the Japanese versions just work better.

From the same director, early in his career, is a movie called "Ghost Actress on the Set". Really chilling and low-tech, but a great story.

I will second The Descent. If you have a single ounce of clausterphobia in you, it will turn your stomach.

I would also say that virtually any horror flick by David Cronenburg is a severe mind-fuck. Videodrome or Scanners are classics. Just don't ask me what any of it means ;)

John Carpenter movies are a favorite in our house. They Live, Prince of Darkness, the campy Big Trouble in Little China (horror? maybe not), and of course The Thing. Good horror picks with some generous humor mixed in.

Romero's zombie movies are tops, and the Evil Dead movies (Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness) are a ton of fun.

You've probably seen most of these, and many have already been mentioned, but for good scares I recommend:

The Mist

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

The Descent

The Others

Dawn of the Dead (remake)

John Carpenter's The Thing

The Exorcist

Alien

Aliens

Event Horizon

Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight

Pitch Black

28 Days Later

28 Weeks Later

Session 9

Also ok:

The Ruins

Thirteen Ghosts (remake)

The House on Haunted Hill (remake)

Pet Sematary

The Final Destination flicks are good for a few scares.

And, more gory than scary, but I enjoyed both Saw and Hostel.

On the topic of horror films, has anyone watched House on Haunted Hill 2? (It's a choose your own adventure for those unfamiliar) I've had it queued for months now and still haven't had it shipped.

Oh, and Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight is great fun (might be high on gore, though). What otehr movie can you hear Thomas Hayden Church screaming, "My nipples are smoking!"

Excellent suggestions all. I have seen many of these, but I will bump Session 9 and The Orphanage to the top of my queue based on the favorable ratings.

The one movie I have vowed never to see again is The Exorcist. I was way too immature when I first saw that it and it messed me up but good. Never, ever again.

Anyone see any of the films featured in the "8 films to die for" festival? I have "Dark Ride" and a few others lingering in my queue but I wonder if they are worth bumping.

Carlos.

If you want to see a great recent horror film queue up Teeth in your Netflix. Some will say it's a comedy but GOD DAMN it made me more squeemish than lots of other recent horror. LOL.

Definitely The Mist is among my favorite modern horror films as well...w

First off...

Night of the Living Dead

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Day of the Dead

... and skip Land and Diary of the Dead ;)

Susperia

Deep Red

Dead & Breakfast

Bad Taste

Dead Alive

Phantasm 1/2

Hellraiser 1/2 (blah... past that)

Nightmare on Elm Street 1/3/7 :)

Halloween 1 & 4

The Eye (Pang Bros. Taiwanese version)

and I'd like to say Battle Royale... but that's more action with gore involved. :)

If you want something CAMPTASTIC pick up the Sleepaway Camp boxset from Anchor Bay. These are amazingly fun to watch with a group as they pass from bad to AMAZING. LOL.

On the topic of horror films, has anyone watched House on Haunted Hill 2? (It's a choose your own adventure for those unfamiliar) I've had it queued for months now and still haven't had it shipped.

Only the HD versions give you that chose-your-own-adventure option. :)

I watched it on DVD, it was pretty meh. In my opinion, they forgot to put the scary in.

I guess the branching choices for the HD releases would be kind of interesting, from a novelty standpoint.

If you want something CAMPTASTIC pick up the Sleepaway Camp boxset from Anchor Bay. These are amazingly fun to watch with a group as they pass from bad to AMAZING. LOL.

Ha! I remember getting a kick out of Sleepaway Camp 2. Totally campy and over the top.

The trailer itself for Teeth looked great. I forgot about it and will now have to queue it up!

The trailer itself for Teeth looked great. I forgot about it and will now have to queue it up!

Forget about Teeth. Yes it good. Yes it's a dark comedy. Yes I liked it. But I made the mistake of watching this movie with a few friends. We finished the movie, but we almost had to stop it halfway. There's certain scenes that some men just shouldn't tempt faith with watching. Watch at your own risk! Oh..if your not married or in a committed relationship, I don't know if you look at sex the same way again! All I know is I'm grateful that, well....that would be spoiling it now.... :D

Audition is a movie I hate to recommend just because the first 3/4 are almost PAINFUL to watch for most of the people I've seen it with.

The last 1/4 makes it up for me though, lol!

Another one that I forgot was Re-Animator and to a lesser extent Bride of Re-Animator. Probably the goriest movie of all time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCM7oG9UGKc

Oh and a (relatively) contemporary German horror film: Anatomy...

Gotta love autopsies performed on unwilling living people. :)