LCVG

Networking help

exile

I need some help with my network at home. My equipment closet has 3 connections that I would like to hardwire to my new router (D-link Extreme N router). My cable modem can be moved into the closet where the new router will go however I can't get my bedroom PC to talk to the router because I don't have any wiring strung to the closet. My current bedroom pc is a direct hardwire connection to my old router (Netgear wireless G) in the den. I can't get any wireless signal even with the new router from the back half of my house.

I want to accomplish my bedroom PC being able to communicate to my new router which I will install in the equipment closet.

I want to accomplish this without doing the following:

1. Running new wires in the attic.

2. Spending additional money to make this work.

Questions:

Could I turn my old router into a wireless access point? Meaning it maintains the hardwired connection to the router but uses the access point to wirelessly connect to the new router?

Could I plug the router directly into my gaming adapter that my 360 uses to connect and connect to my new router?

So hardwire to either device and use it to wirelessly connect to my new router.

Is either scenario a workable solution? If so how?

I looked at DDwrt but my router is not supported.

Shane, great question! When it comes to networking, stay in touch with people you like and respect even if they can't help you immediately. You don't want to go to someone only when you are desperate.

Also, talk to people you don't know everywhere you go. Cocktail parties and weddings are just the tip of the iceberg; don't forget about airplane rides, supermarket lines, sporting events, festivals, bookstores and so on. Learn to ask "What do you do?" with comfort, sincerity and interest!

Try to become a better listener. Ask a question and then be quiet until you hear the answer -- and practice your own presentaton of your skills. Learn more than one approach, whether frank or subtle.

Finally, keep a great updated brochure, business card or other form of information about yourself on you at all times. Get comfortable handing out your card.

PS: Take classes to improve your public speaking, body language and writing skills!

Questions:

Could I turn my old router into a wireless access point? Meaning it maintains the hardwired connection to the router but uses the access point to wirelessly connect to the new router?

Could I plug the router directly into my gaming adapter that my 360 uses to connect and connect to my new router?

So hardwire to either device and use it to wirelessly connect to my new router.

Is either scenario a workable solution? If so how?

I looked at DDwrt but my router is not supported.

I have a setup a lot like this.

Cable modem in audio rack along with primary router...consoles and Tivo via ethernet into router.

Secondary router is on the other side of the house/downstairs as a wireless access point. It is bridged to the primary and provides internet via ethernet for my main PC & whatever other computers I'm playing with.

What is the model of your wireless G router and your N router? If the G router supports bridging already (possible), then yes, you could use it as a wireless access point to connect to the N router if it also supports bridging (I'm pretty sure most N routers will support this nowadays). I'm using DD-WRT now, but all of my routers supported bridging with stock firmware and I used it that way for a while.

Your 360's gaming adapter can't be used to bridge more router traffic to another router....I don't think. I'd bet that it would work to get your PC wireless but you'd still need a wireless network booster or something since you're out of range.

Good help page on setting up WDS bridging:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24308/98/

What is the model of your wireless G router and your N router? If the G router supports bridging already (possible), then yes, you could use it as a wireless access point to connect to the N router if it also supports bridging (I'm pretty sure most N routers will support this nowadays)

Netgear 614 is the G router.

The N is a D Link DIR655 Extreme N.

Since I have a hardwired drop from my PC room to the den which is about 20 feet away from the closet, I could connect my drop to the 360 gaming adapter and use that to wireless connect to my N router. That would work right?

Netgear 614 is the G router.

The N is a D Link DIR655 Extreme N.

Since I have a hardwired drop from my PC room to the den which is about 20 feet away from the closet, I could connect my drop to the 360 gaming adapter and use that to wireless connect to my N router. That would work right?

The 614 doesn't do WDS so you're SOL there. But you've got a good idea if I'm understanding correctly.

I gather from this you're using an ethernet bridge - 3rd party adapter...rather than the 1st party one? An ethernet bridge is an ethernet-to-wireless adapter rather than a USB one.

If it is indeed an ethernet to wireless adapter those generally also work with a PC (what model is it?) as well as they do with the 360. It doesn't matter how far the ethernet is to the wireless adapter. A 2-ft cable or a 200-ft cable, doesn't matter.

That sounds like a good plan.

If it is indeed an ethernet to wireless adapter those generally also work with a PC (what model is it?)

It is an ethernet to wireless. I linked it above. It's a Linksys gaming adapter. I'm going to try it this weekend and see what I get.