LCVG

PixelJunk Eden (PS3)

EnemaEms

Picked up PixelJunk Eden today off of the PS Store. Obviously it comes from the same folks that brought us PixelJunk Racers and PixelJunk Monsters. Eden is far from the past two games. You play a small creature that has the ability to jump or swing. No normal movements are presesnt. You essentially go from flower to flower gathering pollen to open new seeds to open other flowers to get to your objective which are these glowing things called Spectra. There are 50 total. % each in 10 gardens. The game is just an absolute joy to play. Great controls and phenomenal physics with the way the flows move and the way your momentum carries while swinging and landing. The game supports trophies and the ability to record video in-game and upload to YouTube. There is a demo on the store and it is $10. I cannot reccomend this game enough.

-Dean-

The following is an exaggeration, but is how I feel right now. I apologize in advance for the vulgarity and immaturity:

PS3 is the worst fucking console in history SUCKs sucks SUCKS.. I just want to play Pixel Junk Eden with the 15-20 minutes that I have, BUT WHEN I GO TO the Playsation Store, it asked me for the THOUSANDTH time to download an update... I WAIT WAIT WAIT for it to download.... then I WAIT WAIT WAIT for it to install. Hopefully I'll actually have time to play the demo before I have to leave.

I'll post impressions of the game if I ever get to play it.

Ok, I played it and it is pretty cool. Kinda difficult to not play it like spiderman. I kept thinking the button would shoot the web, but instead it does the opposite. It is a very unique game. Question though, if I want to buy it, do I need to redownload the whole thing and reinstall the whole thing again? Or is it like on the 360 where the demo IS the actual game and you just have to unlock it.

Kinda difficult to not play it like spiderman. I kept thinking the button would shoot the web, but instead it does the opposite.

Well, it does both. From the ground it works like spiderman shooting. From a plant one tap will 'do the opposite' as you mentioned, but a quick double tap from a plant will allow you to do the spiderman shooting action.

I think you can just unlock it since it is the same exact size as the full game.

That is what I thought but it does not work that way (at least for this game). I loaded up the demo, clicked the link for the Full Game and it took me to a screen that said to visit the PSN store and buy it. Then it has to be re-downloaded, and then you have to tell it to install (why is this not automatic!?). Don't forget to delete the demo as it is not going anywhere. Frustrating.

It is a great game though. I hold down the X button every time and only release when I am flying through the air. That way I can pretend my Grimp is Spider-Man.

I have to question what they were thinking with the co-op game play. When a person's Grimp falls down, everyone elses Grimp warps down to the bottom also. Makes a person not want to play the game with their children (my 3-year old and 8-year old). And people wonder why so many families are buying a Wii!

Ok, I really like this game. I think I bought it but I'm not sure. A really confusing transaction made it unclear while I was trying to purchase it. How do I know if I have the full version or not? What's the tell-tale difference? It said that I had downloaded and installed a 100k unlock file but I swear I never added any funds to my wallet to pay for the thing.

Anyway, really addicting game. Though you have to admit that this game has absolutely perfected the most frustrating aspect of all videogames in history. The dreaded "missed jump that makes you start all over from the bottom" mechanic has plagued videogames for centuries (well, not really), and now we have a game based soley on that mechanic. SOOOO frustrating but very very fun.

I swear that when I miss a jump, all the plants below all spread out of the way to make way for my freefall.

It said that I had downloaded and installed a 100k unlock file but I swear I never added any funds to my wallet to pay for the thing.

I was surprised by the lack of the "adding funds" process too. It appears the Sony store simply charges your card instantly now instead of adding funds. I got a receipt in email after making the purchase.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd been waiting for the patch, but it isn't out in the US or Europe yet, so I fired up the game regardless this week. The controls finally clicked with me & I've been really enjoying the game. It's so easy to get in the flow, zone out & just relax while making progress. I can see this becoming one of my favourite small games in the past few years.

I really like this game. Don't you find it frustrating that you can't just continue on in a level and collect all the (What do you call them) without it reseting? I hate that you get one and it resets. You get two and it resets. You get three and it resets. It's like how when you fail in a game you die and start over and it sucks. In this game, you succeed and you have to start over.

It is a shame too because I think this game is fantastic and if they fixed this one thing, I'd have nothing negative to say about this game. Well besides all the times I somehow find the perfect channel between every plant so that I fall from the very top to the very bottom without hitting anything. But I'm sure everyone shares that experience. I swear so loud when that happens.

I really like this game. Don't you find it frustrating that you can't just continue on in a level and collect all the (What do you call them) without it reseting? I hate that you get one and it resets. You get two and it resets. You get three and it resets. It's like how when you fail in a game you die and start over and it sucks. In this game, you succeed and you have to start over.

That bugs me too. Fix that and this is a perfect little game.

My #1 reason for not going back to a game I enjoy is having to backtrack. PixelJunk Eden forces me to replay the entry level junk when all I want to do is explore new sections.