LCVG

Connectivity Problem

Bruce B

Have been experiencing a problem with connecting to the internet with different devices in the house.

Here is my setup:

Cable modem

Linksys wireless router

2 Pc's- one hardwired, one wireless

2 Laptops-both wireless

2 360's-both hardwired

1 PS3- Hardwired

Almost once a day I have a problem with one or two of the devices not connecting while the other devices are fine.

The fix every time is rebooting modem and router.

I have upgraded router firmware to latest & greatest.

It would make more sense to me if none of the devices in the house would connect. IP conflict maybe?

I had the same problem twice with the wireless devices. The first time something in the router died, and linksys said I needed a new one. The second time I couldn't figure it out. Wanted to get a new D-link gaming router, so I bought one and the problem went away. If anyone would have an IP conflict it would be me as we have a ton of stuff going, but I give everything a static IP.

I had an old Linksys WRT54G flashed with DD-WRT and it was rock-f'ing solid. I needed it here at work, so for the past year I've been using run-of-the-mill consumer routers and had no end of problems. Stuff like you're describing. Constant reboots.

A month ago I got the WRT54G-L, flashed it with Tomato and I once again have a rock solid network. Highly recommended.

I have a similar problem. The problem usually starts when another device tries to jump on. What I've noticed is that my laptop would temporarily disconnect while the other device connects. Most of the time it reconnects within a second (so I barely notice it). But sometimes, it'll show I'm connected to the network, but I can't do a thing. I can ping myself, but can't search google, check mail, etc.

Mm, sounds to me like the cable modem is having random resets / falling out of sync which will take down your entire network when it goes and looks for a new IP from the HDCP server. Try replacing the cable modem via your cable provider first, as that should be free.

Mm, sounds to me like the cable modem is having random resets / falling out of sync which will take down your entire network when it goes and looks for a new IP from the HDCP server. Try replacing the cable modem via your cable provider first, as that should be free.

Right now the modem I have I purchased because of the rental charge from the cable company.

Guys, really -- buy a router compatible with DD-WRT or Tomato and see your problems wither away like a Christmas tree on December 31st.

This router worked fine for a few years until it copped an attitude.

I don't like tomatoes anyway!

Ketchup yes.

Spaghetti sauce yes.

v-8 no.

I also don't like that tomato is in the fruit family. Just rubs me the wrong way.:furious

But I digress.......

It's also possible this is a provider issue. There's been some weirdness in my area for some time lately. I would lose connection for a minute to 30 minutes...and sometimes an hour or more around midnight.

Was also getting a lot of dropouts on the Tivo. A guy came out and verified my connections were fine, but he said he'd had a lot of calls on my road lately and he had recommended they go out with a truck and check the main line for problems.

Lately, the problems have vanished entirely. For a while I was losing internet for 10-40 minutes every night plus a few dropouts in the day. Now, it's just fine.

Still, it's weird that some stuff connects and others don't. I agree the router is the first place to start.

The problem has nothing to do with the software on it. Has to do with the router going faulty. In Linksys case this happens a lot

My point is that a lot of problems go away using DD-WRT or Tomato. If you're buying a new router, give some consideration to one buying one that will run one of the open-source firmwares.

Like right now the 3 devices in the addition of my house(2 wired, one wireless) cannot connect while the 3 downstairs can. I cant reboot cuz my damn wife is taking an online test for her online degree. Dagnabbit. I think router will be in tomorrow.

Did I mention that I hate tomatoes?:furious

Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

tomato

1753, earlier tomate (1604), from Sp. tomate (1554) from Nahuatl tomatl "a tomato," lit. "the swelling fruit," from tomana "to swell." Spelling probably influenced by potato (1565). A member of the nightshade family, which all contain poisonous alkaloids. Introduced in Europe from the New World, by 1550 they were regularly consumed in Italy but only grown as ornamental plants in England and not eaten there or in the U.S. at first. An encyclopedia of 1753 describes it as "a fruit eaten either stewed or raw by the Spaniards and Italians and by the Jew families of England." Introduced in U.S. as part of a program by Sec. of State Thomas Jefferson (1789), but not commonly eaten until after c.1830. Alternate name love apple and alleged aphrodisiac qualities have not been satisfactorily explained; perhaps from It. name pomodoro, taken as from adorare "to adore," but probably actually from d'or "of gold" (in reference to color) or de Moro "of the Moors." Slang meaning "an attractive girl" is recorded from 1929.

:tu