LCVG

PSP Concept Model

heavy liquid

Wow, that looks scratch-tastic! No, seriously, I like that design, but I hope it's built a little more ruggedly than that. that's one of the great things about teh GBA-SP is that clamshell style keeps the screen protected.

gigapower,

When they say based on Dual Shock, what does that mean? It could mean that the control layout will be the same, but maybe not shaped exactly the same. Did they specify?

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this. I want hi-res handheld gaming!

I don't know what to make of the D-Pad simply based on that picture.

As it appears, I agree that it doesn't seem very functional. Stylish and fresh looking, yes.

A possibility is that the center of the D-pad lies a button, which does a sort of quick-release. The entire ring with the arrows would pop up during play-time, and will act as a giant analog ring. That could work.

Or I'm thinking too much into it.

As it is, it would be very hard to accomplish diagonal sliding actions, like in fighting games.

I'm sure the final design will be nothing like this concept. I wonder how they will base it off of the Duel Shock? While it would be comfortable to play, the design wouldn't lend itself to easy portablility and fit in the pocket easily. It is called Playstation Pocket, after all. ;) The talk of it based on the Duel Shock is giving me nightmares of this:

230722.jpg

I'm hoping they go with a clamshell design like the SP. As Ed mentioned, this concept could scratch easily, like my old GBA. And while the SP is shaped nothing like a controller, it's surprisingly comfortable to play. I do like the style of their concept, and hope the final design is as sleek and sophisticated looking.

When they say based on Dual Shock, what does that mean? It could mean that the control layout will be the same, but maybe not shaped exactly the same. Did they specify?

From gamesindustry.biz

Sony's promise of analogue control isn't immediately evident from this mock-up; many people have assumed that the analogue controller on the PSP will take the form of a thumb-stick, but of course, it's entirely possible that the company will simply provide an analogue D-Pad, similar to the analogue buttons on the Dual Shock 2.