LCVG

Anyone have experience with the M3/R4 DS carts?

ChrisBardon

I was reading about the recent Nintendo crackdown on people who sold these DS carts, and it reminded me that I wanted to see if getting one would be worthwhile. It looks like there's some interesting homebrew stuff out there, but the main reason would be to be able to run multiple DS games off of the same cart (rather than have to carry around/not lose a bunch of individual ones). The R4 seems to be the "standard" for these adapters, but this site (along with others) doesn't seem to have R4s, but does carry the M3, which they claim is functionally identical. So, the questions are, do these cards work as advertised? Are there any shortcomings to running DS games off of an SD card? What are some of the best homebrew apps out there?

I had a Supercard when it was one of the first memory carts to use normal flash memory. It was the compactflash version, boy did that stick out of the fat DS.

I pretty much used it for homebrew (NES emulator which worked great) and to demo a few GBA games. There were some minor issues with some GBA games getting some minor slowdown (something about a mapper the cart used that GBA games needed).

I don't remember if I ever used it for DS games though. I think they were still working on that when I had mine. Mine got damaged somehow and I ended up getting doing the modded PSP thing for my homebrew instead.

I asked my buddy about it, he still has an original supercard but he's generally in the scene so to say...he said to make sure the model you're getting supports GBA games (If you're interested) as the slot cards don't necessarily support that.

I ported PicoDrive (Genesis emulator) to the DS a while back to get a Genesis emulator that was actually faster than 1fps, no time to work on it now though. JEnesisDS is probably a better bet than PicoDriveDS now, but I haven't actually tried it yet.

The main drawback of carts is the battery life is greatly reduced (seemingly even in suspend mode). I need to find a USB DS charger for international travel as I found out the hard way that the US power adapter doesn't work internationally.

For GBA (i.e. Slot-2) launch support from a Slot-1 cart, you can apparently use the EZF 3-in-1 with any Slot-1 cart (though I've not tried this yet either). Edit: Oh hey, apparently one of the tools works with the EZF IV I already have, so I'll have to try that out.

Edit 2: The other thing you might want to consider is microSDHC support (which the R4/M3 don't have, but the CycloDS and some other newer ones do) so you can use >2GB microSD cards.

I've got a CycloDS. Great little thing. I just use it for the convenience of having all my DS games on one cart. I never noticed increased battery drain while playing, but I put the thing in suspend mode once and it lost a full charge in a day :( I try not to forget when I leave it in suspend now. I think some of the older carts (R4 and such) have problems with download play not working with lots of games, but the CycloDS has always been problem-free.

R4 is super easy to use. No extra part, just a regular cart that the micro SD card uses.

Besides DS games, you can run old school SNES/NES games as well as watch movies. Movies aren't that great quality (kinda like watching a video off Youtube.

I didn't know Nintendo was cracking down on the sales of modchips, but I know that they are tracking torrents and will advise your ISP if they find you

• 1 month later...

So I found out last week that there's an electronics store around the corner from my office that was selling R4 cards for 30 bucks, so I picked one up just to give it a try. Yeah, having more than 2Gb would have been nice, but based on a little more research, it sounds like some of the other cards have problems with bricking cards and DSes (mostly due to people trying to load the wrong firmware though). Still, 2GB is enough to get a bunch of DS games on one card, which means not having to carry most of the stuff that I want to play occasionally around with me.

Any good recommendations for homebrew stuff on there? I noticed that you need a separate device to load GBA games on there (through slot2), but is there a straightforward way to run a GBA rom off the slot 1 card?

• 2 years later...