LCVG

Suda51, Miziguchi, Yamaoka and......EA?! (and Epic too!) - Shadows of the Damned (PS3/360)

Romier S

Yep and it looks like its an original horror title that EA is developing for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Legendary Producer Shinji Mikami and Innovative Designer Suda51

Working with EA Partners on an All-New Action Horror Title

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 14, 2008--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced a publishing agreement with iconic Japanese development studio Grasshopper Manufacture. Under the terms of the deal, EA Partners will publish an all-new action horror game produced by Shinji Mikami and directed by innovative game designer Suda51.

The title is being developed for the PC, Xbox 360® video game system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Wii™.

"Grasshopper Manufacture is excited to work with EA Partners to bring our new title to gamers around the world," said Goichi Suda, CEO of Grasshopper Manufacture. "They are a great partner who shares our commitment to quality and innovation while respecting our independence as a studio, which is very empowering."

"It is an honor for EA to sign Grasshopper Manufacture and help bring their new franchise to gamers worldwide," said Frank Gibeau, President of the EA Games Label. "The roster of partners at EA is growing and the caliber of talent is outstanding. Grasshopper Manufacture is a world-class studio and, within the EA partner program, they stand alongside some of the world's most revered independent studios."

"Grasshopper Manufacture is one of the most daring and innovative independent studios in the world, and EA Partners is honored to be working with Mikami-san and Suda-san on this new project," said David DeMartini, senior vice president and general manager, EA Partners. "EA Partners is a truly global resource for the world's best independent developers, whether they're in North America, Europe or Asia."

The deal was brokered by CAA, in conjunction with Q Entertainment who will be working with Grasshopper Manufacture and EAP on the project.

EA and Epic are also in a publishing deal to release an all new action title...

EA Partners Team up With the Creators of the Award-Winning Gears of War and Unreal Series to Publish an All-New IP

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 14, 2008--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) and Epic Games, Inc. today announced that they have signed a publishing agreement for an all-new action title for the PC, Xbox 360® video game system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. The new intellectual property is currently in development by Epic's People Can Fly studio in Poland.

"Epic is excited to work with EA Partners to launch our next big IP on the global stage," said Mark Rein, vice president, Epic Games. "EA Partners gives independent developers like Epic the muscle of a global publisher like EA, along with the focus and flexibility of a smaller team committed to working with our individual needs."

"In the last year, EAP has become a powerhouse player in the publishing world with the best of breed developers signing on to leverage EA's studio-focused philosophy, global scale and publishing leadership," said Frank Gibeau, President of the EA Games Label. "Epic brings first class talent and technology to the development of this new title. We are very proud to have Epic join the growing roster of EA Partners."

"Epic is a legendary studio that is synonymous with quality and EA Partners jumped at the chance to team up with them on the launch of their next blockbuster IP," said David DeMartini, senior vice president and general manager, EA Partners. "EA Partners is committed to giving the world's best independent developers access to EA's global publishing resources, letting them focus on what they do best - making great games."

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Joystiq gave it 4/5 & loved it for its oddness & weirdness.

Of course, the review /spoils/ a bunch of that oddness & surprise from the game, so I'm not linking to it.

In short, Shadows of the Damned is insensitive, puerile, gross, incredibly profane and ... kind of wonderful.

Discussing the actual gameplay of Shadows of the Damned almost feels like a disservice to the world that was lovingly crafted around it. Compared to the bizarre world that the demons inhabit, killing them is comfortably familiar. Shooting is handled in the now tried-and-true third person format, aiming with the left trigger and firing with the right. Upgrades can be found or purchased for all weapons, giving them more firepower, faster reloads or a higher capacity. Again, it's a system that has become standard.

None of this is to say that the combat isn't enjoyable. It is. Coming from Shinji Mikami, the man that gave us Resident Evil 4, it's perfectly satisfying. My point is that, while this sort of third-person combat turned the Resident Evil series on its ear in 2005, it's become de rigueur in 2011. Also, for all their fantastic aesthetics, a good majority of the boss battles focus on mechanics we've all seen a thousand times. While some might require a few extra tricks, all boss encounters boil down to the same thing: Shoot the red parts.

For the most part, however, Shadows of the Damned remains a campy, silly and over-the-top adventure. It's certainly pleasing to annihilate demon hordes, but the real drive of Garcia's "road movie" is to see what weird and wonderful thing pops up next

If I quote any more, it'll spoil chunks of the game.

I picked up my copy this morning. Alice Madness Returns has truthfully done little for me so I'm putting that aside and heading straight into Shadows.

Not so fun note: My Gamestop had two copies of the game. Not one preorder for it. The guy didn't even know what the hell I was talking about when I asked for it. That's completely anecdotal but it doesn't bode well for the game.

Oh man. Now this is good shit. A game where save checkpoints are denoted by steaming piles of shit from a demon called one eyed william? Yes sir, I'll play. Add in gameplay lifted almost exclusively from Resident Evil 4 with nips and tucks (shooting while moving backwards, insane weapons, more insane enemies), Suda 51 wierdness that gives Shadows of the Damned probably the most fun interpretation of hell out there. Oh and add a soundtrack by Yamaoka that's his best work since Silent Hill 3 (listening to it you can just tell he absolutely needed to step away from Silent Hill and do something new).

Absolutely hitting every "fun" bone in my body. When your main protagonist laments having to solve puzzles and tells his companion to warn him if he has to fuck a horse to open a door - well folks you know we got a winner.:)

well, I am near completion of the game(just based on the achievements I have left which are kind of spoilers lol).

The music to the game is fantastic, not a huge fan of the story I think it's a bit corny but the game is pretty funny at times, the jokes are Duke Nukem-esque except not incredibly cheesy like Duke Nukem and not as outdated. At first I was not a fan of the gameplay it's a mix of Resident Evil(yuck) and Dead Space(yay!) but it isn't so bad once you learn every game type and killing moves you can use.

The game is ridiculously easy though, I am playing on Normal and could have probably played on Hard. I have died maybe twice all game, once because I wasn't even paying attention and backed myself into a corner where the camera angles were awful and before I knew it I had like 10 guys on me another was in a section of the game where if you are touched once it's an instant death other then that the bosses are a bit of a joke and take no skill at all. Unless the difficulty level from Normal to Hard is an insane difference, I'd recommend starting on Hard for an experienced player.

Also, there are certain sections within the game where you are playing "a game with-in a game" which I found to be pretty cool don't want to spoil anything but you will be scratching your head wondering what the fuck is this doing in the game, but in some strange way just like all the ridiculous over the top jokes, it somehow works.

I bought this for $56 off of Amazon with Amazon credit but my recommended buy price for this is at $39.99 as the game has no multi-player, seems short(if the Achievements are true, I can't recall how many hours I've put in but there are roughly 5 Acts with 4-6 chapters in each act. Each chapter is probably 30-60 mins tops, as there is little exploring and hardly any puzzle-solving to do) and seems to have little replability unless you just want to get all the achievements 90% of which you can grab on the first playthrough. With that being said, I do suggest everyone give this game a shot especially if you're into Dead Space and Resident Evil 5 you will enjoy this game alot.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just hit Act 3-4. I am enjoying this game so much, even with its few frustrating moments. The Resident Evil aiming can be so much of a pain, especially with the Ninja demons (the ones that materialize out of the purple like smoke). I'm playing on Normal, and the game is actually pretty easy so far. The only time I died multiple times was when

the 2nd chase with Paula. Trying to kill the demons to get the eyeball with her crazy ass trying to one-hit kill you was pissing me off.

I also loved, loved the homage to

The Evil Dead, cabin and all.

The low-brow humor has been pretty decent as well. I am digging the little story books you run across. Garcia and the Boner gun reading them has been quite classic. Its a blast hearing Garcia "fucking" Hotspur struggle with easy words. :)

Easily one of my favorites of the year so far. People really need to pick this up. Has the soundtrack been released yet?

-Dean-

Finished up the game today on Normal Difficulty. Total playtime, according to my save file, was right under 9 hours. The ending was damn good, all of it. :)

Kind of bummed there is no New Game+ and that the Difficulty Trophies/Achievements don't stack. :(

I don't think I will keep the game for another playthrough. I'm assuming we won't see another game in the series due to its sales. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Good article on Giant Bomb about Shadow of the Damned's development and thoughts from the creators on the poor sales etc. Well worth a read.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/your-friend-and-mine-garcia-effin-hotspur/3606/

It should have been a home run.

Shadows of the Damned sold just 24,000 copies in North America when it was released in June. It doesn't matter how many copies it has or hasn't sold since; it's a tragedy when a trio of gaming's most creative minds out of Japan produce something terrific and the game fails to bring anyone out.

As the story often tragically goes, the collaboration between No More Heroes designer Suda 51, Resident Evil 4 mastermind Shinji Mikami and Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka was widely praised by critics. Electronic Arts did little to market the game, dooming it to word of mouth.

"I'm not satisfied with the sales," said Yamaoka in a recent email. "I'm proud of the project, so I'd like for a lot more people to play it."

You and me both, Yamaoka-san.

The project that eventually become Shadows of the Damned was announced in August 2008 at EA's annual summer event. Suda 51 and Mikami were both in attendance (Yamaoka was still working at Konami) to announce a collaboration with EA Partners for a horror game both of them would be working on. At the time, the game was even intended to be released on Wii. Obviously, that never happened.

EA, Epic Games and People Can Fly announced its partnership at the same event. Bulletstorm was released this past February.

Shadows of the Damned changed shape from when Suda 51 and Mikami conceived it while making Killer 7 at Capcom, and again over the course of development. Mikami and Suda 51 were aiming at Western audiences from the start, and signing with EA was seen as a way to reach that goal.