LCVG

Verizon FIOS vs Comcast cable

Cyberwoo

Anyone have any good information regarding the truth behind all the hyperbole these companies like to put in their tv ads? Things like Comcast's "speedboost" really skew your data transfer rate #'s when using programs like Speekeasy that only download small file. The bottom line is this: Which service is better for online gaming and HD tv content/quality? I'm looking for unbiased professional resources for this type of information and/or hopefully someone who has had first hand experience with both services. The internet is full of morons who says "this service is better because..." comments with little evidence to support their claims. At first glance Verizon seems like the better choice (faster internet, better looking HD content, etc) but then I hear things like the 1yr contract, their speed claims aren't legit, Verizon likes to spy on its users, Comcast rulez!!!1!! because Verizon is gay, etc. I don't want a gay service!! ;) Sooo anyone tried Verizons FIOS yet and if so are there any downsides to it? Any good reports out there that compare the 2 services? I seek the truth and not teh bias!

I create this thread because Verizon is currently outside making noise installing FIOS in my neighborhood.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked one of the installers here in town, and Fios is supposed to be finished in our area next summer. Hopefully it's on time, as my commitment to Cox expires at the same time. I can't complain about Cox service, but I hate being nickel and dimed by the cable companies.

I'll be interested in hearing how your experiences are with Verizon.

I'm just happy to finally have some competition for Comcast. I have gotten so sick of their constant price hikes and holding back on features. As soon as Verizon FIOS started becoming the hot topic Comcast announced a new faster internet package that they claim will get you 16mbps. Their powerboost really irritates me because your first 1-2megs downloads at or close to their quoted speeds and then it slows way down. That these companies can get away with quoting speeds that only apply to the first few megs of your download is just irritating.

I don't know, we've been using Comcast for high speed access last few years and it's been great. No problems gaming, fast downloads, very little downtime. Never used FIOS though, so maybe it makes Comcast eat its cocksandwich and pee sitting down. But Comcast has been good to us.

Let us know your experiences if anyone trys FIOS. Would like to hear the results.

Comcast has different offerings based on the competition in each particular market. Areas that don't compete with fiber have Powerboost which is a quick and temporary bump in speeds. Areas that compete with fiber have Blast. Blast comes in either 16/2 or 16/1 flavors. Comcast also has invisible bandwidth caps but you have to do several hundred GB per month to be warned or terminated for that. There are rumors of Comcast implementing a 250GB cap and charging $15 for every 10GB you go per per month. I don't think Verizon enforces any kind of cap on their Fios service at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Today the AT&T rep came to my door telling me they just ran FIOS through our whole subdivision and tried to sell me the UVerse TV package. I declined that, citing my happiness with DirecTV. She was about to walk off when I asked if they had an internet-only package. She said, yeah, but it would be $55/month for that. Since BigOil is kind enough to pay for my home internet, I said give it to me. they are promising 10.0 down and 1.5 up. I figure it's worth a shot.

So I'm getting it installed on 16th. Anyone have any info on ATT FioS internet? I have to admit I don't know the first thing about it. Will my router still work? Does it come through phone jacks or will they need to run a new cable? Will I see greezed lightnin' speed compared to my 3.6 down(average) speed right now?

Carlos.

Anyone have any info on ATT FioS internet? I have to admit I don't know the first thing about it. Will my router still work? Does it come through phone jacks or will they need to run a new cable? Will I see greezed lightnin' speed compared to my 3.6 up (average) speed right now?

To answer your questions in order (and these are general answers about FioS and no necessarily AT&T):

1. Your router should work fine unless AT&T requires the use of thier own router (which some FIOS providers do). Though even then you can probably turn your router into a switch to provide more ports if you are need of more connection points.

2. FIOS service will usually entail (and this is very simplified) a FIOS servicing device be installed in the residence. A CAT5 run will usually be pulled to a location in your home where you will connect your/thier router to get service. It's should be a direct CAT5 line. You can get much more info right here:

http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

Lots of images showing what a typical installation looks like.

3. Depends on the server your downloading from afterall. If you've got a server that has a pipeline big enough to give you that much bandwidth - sure.

You are getting 3.6meg up now and going to 1.5up? Please tell me you mistyped that. :) My sole reason for getting FIOS at this point is for faster upload. Can never have enough IMO.

Yes, I meant DOWN. fixed it. thanks.

Thanks, Romier, for the info. and I suppose if I am using wireless for all connections to this device/router setup, I can locate it anywhere in the house (within range)? I'm guessing they will want to drill a hole through my house like most standard cable installers. I just hate it when they want to charge more for wall drops and what they consider "custom" installs.

Carlos.

Will I see greezed lightnin' speed compared to my 3.6 down(average) speed right now?

Yeah you will see a big increase. Should have asked if they have one step up. The verizon fios base level here is the same speed as you mentioned 10/2. For $10 more it doubles to 20mb down and 5mb up.

At the moment my Road Runner speed is 20mb down (and its constant as I check often), but only 1mb up

Carlos,

I have AT&T U-verse, we test drove the TV part and its quality sucked compared to DirecTV. But back to the topic at hand. U-verse is not like FIOS, FIOS is fiber to the house, U-verse is fiber to the neighborhood. They run fiber to a device called a V-RAD, from there they use vDSL technology over one copper pair to get the service to you. Currently they have it hard locked to 25mb down for TV and Internet, 2mb up. From the box on the side of your house they should run a new "home run" using Cat 5e cable, but they don't have to do this as it will currently work on your single pair Cat 3 cable. Eventually they plan to go to dual copper runs to increase the bandwidth at which point you'll need the Cat 5e home run. The home run then connects inside to the Residential Gateway device, which has a built in wireless-G access point, firewall, and 4 port ethernet switch. So to answer that question unless your in love with your current router then you can remove it. I still use my router because its a Wireless-N Apple Time Capsule. if you still want to use your current router let me know and I'll walk you through the changes you need to make in the RG to make it work. I pay $35 for the 6mb/1mb package, its not only cheaper then my previous Cox service but faster.

Ok now just a bit about the TV. Its using the Microsoft IPTV platform running on Cisco IPTV boxes. There is one DVR in the house and soon they plan to enable all the other receivers in your house to use the one DVR. The HD picture is too compressed as they are trying to shove 2 HD streams down the 15mb pipe(10mb Internet + 15mb TV=25mb current cap). You can only currently get 2 HD streams at a time in your house and 4 SD. The SD is actually really good quality, which makes their HD quality even more disappointing. One cool thing is it changes channels instantly.

Hmm I ran a speedtest on speakeasy.net yesterday after seeing some recent Comcast speed quotes in a local add in the paper and am now getting the following results:

Download Speed: 13071 kbps (1633.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 5761 kbps (720.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

So like umm my upload is crazy fast all the sudden? Funny what competition will do. :rolleyes: Guess I now have no need to switch to Verizon especially since they lock you into a year contract.

Ya I thought the same thing at first but then I thought powerboost was only for download speed. Is it confirmed that they use this wonky boost thing for upload as well? Regardless I've never seen upload speeds like that even on those speedtest sites. I did a comparison to see how my upload compared with others on a couple of those sites and it said it is 300% faster than the average. I'm interested to test my upload with a friend or two today to see if I see any realworld difference. Typically my fastest upload speeds used to be around 75-90 Kb/sec obviously depending on where I'm uploading to.

The inability to record more than 1 HD stream was a deal killer for me and Uverse. I pay $100 a month for HD, DVR, Digital Cable, Digital Phone, Cox Internet with no premiums. If Uverse gets their HD together which I'm doubting, I might switch but it would take a bunch of convincing. I had their DSL service since it was launched here up until 2 years ago and it was complete garbage.

• 1 month later...

My initial install of uverse was postponed due to the Hurricane Ike recovery effort, but I finally got it installed Friday.

So far seems about as fast as Earthlink was for surfing, but much faster for downloading. I'm getting consistent results like this from speedtest.net (close=Springfield, Far = Montreal):

341485321.png"]341485321.png[/url]341487227.png"]341487227.png[/url]

The box they gave me seems to have wicked wireless range, too. Previously in my son's room upstairs, my D-link router was spotty. With this box it's been spot on.

Rather than run cat5 for the install, the guy just used my existing rg6 run, since I was only using that for data anyway. So the install was very quick and easy.

Carlos.

Comcast will be launching new tiers and speed increases in the next few months.

Employees familiar with the upgrade plan say "Performance" 6Mbps/1Mbps subscribers will be upgraded to 12Mbps/2Mbps ($42.95). "Performance Plus" 8Mbps/2Mbps subscribers will be increased to Blast 16Mbps/2Mbps ($52.95). Both upgrades are at no cost. Comcast will continue to offer an "Economy" 768kbps/384kbps tier for $24.95, aimed primarily at light users and used as a retention tool.

For hungrier users, the company plans to offer a new "Ultra" 22Mbps/5Mbps tier for $62.95. Ultra should hit speeds of about 30Mbps when Comcast's Powerboost technology kicks in. The grand daddy of all Comcast tiers will be the "Extreme 50" 50Mbps/10Mbps tier, which some markets will see as low as $139.95. Both new tiers will obviously require new DOCSIS 3.0 modems that won't be available initially at retail, but can be rented for $3 a month.

For the time being, you can assume that all tiers will come with Comcast's new 250GB monthly cap. All tiers will also be subject the company's new "bandwidth management" system, which temporarily puts heavy users on a special, lower quality of service (QOS) "bus" only if their local node is seeing congestion, and if they're using more than 70% of their allotted throughput.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Weve-Got-Exclusive-Details-On-New-Comcast-Speeds-Prices-98539

$24.95 768k/384k

$42.95 6M/1M -> 12M/2M

$52.95 8M/1M -> 16M/2M

$62.95 22M/5M requires DOCSIS 3.0 modem

$139.95 50M/10M requires DOCSIS 3.0 modem (No Powerboost)

Comcast will be launching new tiers and speed increases in the next few months.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Weve-Got-Exclusive-Details-On-New-Comcast-Speeds-Prices-98539

$24.95 768k/384k

$42.95 6M/1M -> 12M/2M

$52.95 8M/1M -> 16M/2M

$62.95 22M/5M requires DOCSIS 3.0 modem

$139.95 50M/10M requires DOCSIS 3.0 modem (No Powerboost)

How about giving an option between $25.95 and $42.95? I'm plenty happy with my current speed - but would be thrilled to pay LESS for it... :furious

What's it like to have more than one choice for high-speed internet?

• 5 weeks later...

I called AT&T today to ask about the max18 service. I had heard it was only available if you bundled it with the TV package, but I called anyway just to be sure. The rep told me I was eligible, so I went ahead and snapped it up. Apparently, they'll just flip a switch somewhere and it will be activated by 19:00 today.

While I was on the line, the rep asked to take a few minutes to discuss my home phone and wireless, which are all through AT&T also. She was able to save me $6 on my home phone bill, so that means upping to the Max18 is only going to cost me a net +$4 monthly.

Carlos.