LCVG

House of the Dead Overkill (Wii) - Suffer like G did!

Romier S

Here is the announcement:

THEY’VE COME FOR BRAINS, YOU’LL GIVE THEM BULLETS

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL Brings Pulp Horror Action to Wii

LEIPZIG (August 19th, 2008) – SEGA? Europe Ltd. and SEGA? of America, Inc. today announced The House of the Dead: OVERKILL, an all-new pulp-horror reinvention of the classic SEGA light-gun shooter franchise. Created by London-based studio Headstrong Games, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will take you right back to the beginning of this classic horror series. Available exclusively on the Nintendo Wii early in 2009 and announced to coincide with Games Convention at Leipzig, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will be presented live by developer Headstrong Games for specially invited members of the press in SEGA’s business centre suite.

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL uncovers the ugly, terrifying, red hot secrets behind the House of the Dead; the daddy of all over-the-top shooters. While staying true to the classic gameplay this hugely successful SEGA series is getting a new retro look, with distinctive graphics, sound and attitude that will add to its horror cool status. Plus, thanks to the Wii Remote™, players will fight off zombies when they get too close; pistol-whipping jaws off and smashing in skulls with their shotgun butt.

“We wanted to do something really different with The House of the Dead: OVERKILL,” commented Bradley Crooks, Studio Head at Headstrong Games. “With SEGA we’ve been able to create a fresh look for the franchise. I think you’ll agree it’s like nothing you’ve seen before on Wii.”

“Paying homage to the pulp horror comics and films that inspired generations of gore fans, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will expose gamers to a brand-new fleshy rollercoaster ride of revolting dismemberment,” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director at SEGA Europe. “This is the hardcore Wii title you’ve been waiting for.”

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL takes you back to when Special Agent G was fresh out of the academy. Teamed up with hard-boiled bad-ass Detective Washington, they are sent to investigate stories of mysterious disappearances in small-town Louisiana. Little do they know what blood-soaked mutant depravity awaits them in the streets and swamps of Bayou City…

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will be released in early 2009, exclusively for Nintendo Wii. For more information about the game, please visit http://www.houseofthedeadoverkill.com.

There's an uncut trailer here (and god its awesome!):

Cover art is up too:

[ATTACH]3646[/ATTACH]

Also a nice interview over at IGN:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/899/899925p1.html

God stuff like this will eventually make me a Wii owner again. I'd kill to have a game like this with online play though.

The trailer looks good. However, I really hope that aiming will be improved with this version. I have 2 guns just for the HOTD2/3 and could never get them to calibrate properly. Totally ruined the experience. Using the wiimote to smack the zombies is a cool twist though.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone else pick this up? I was playing it for a bit this morning during maint on WoW - they Really Really go a long way to capture the grindhouse feel

The "like nothing you've seen before on the wii" mostly applies to the grindhouse aspect as the gameplay is reminscent of Umbrella chronicles (especially a few things like shaking off the zombies). The grindhouse feel of the entire game is Exceptionally well done.

It's not quite as punishing as Umbrella Chronicles, but if you want to unlock the cool stuff you need to play fairly well, and it can get frantic in parts. I've only sat down with it for a couple hours and i've maxed out my basic weapon and am on the second to last mission. There is a "directors cut" mode which unlocks after you complete the basic story.

Cash for upgrades seems to only come from completing levels in story mode.

Game has some good lines and I really like a few of the SFX they use on levels in the game. It's one of the better looking Wii titles too. It also has the most profanity I've *ever* heard in a game, especially on a Nintendo console.

Edited by OzzelsCousinFred

Word of warning after clearing the game though:

The ending is.. *extremely* twisted. (And I wouldnt say in a good way)

edit: Avoid this game if you have any family issues. Keep it away from the kids for sure - lock and key if possible. This game will be Highly offensive to some folks. Ending is Nasty/twisted/sick way beyond over the top grindhouse gross.

Gameplay is solid storyline is ok for what it is (except the end which is Nasty nasty nasty and ironic - but sheesh)

Edited by OzzelsCousinFred

Hopefully you got one of Nyko's perfect shots, which seems to be the single best controller lightgun-adapter for the Wii.

Argh. I got the Icon gun... which is cool and all, even has a laser sight! But, it has you using the nunchuk's trigger as your...trigger. This is a pretty big problem, as it turns out that there are no options for customizing your controller in House of the Dead: Overkill. :(

So now I have to bring that back and try to find a Nyko Perfect Shot, which seems to be no small task in Canada. The only in-stock source I've found so far has been eBay, and I'm not prepared to spend that much on a plastic shell just yet.

Update: Just found a solitary Perfect Shot at The Source! In your face, eBay!

Edited by Ron

• 1 month later...

I finished up the story mode for this tonight. I've got the Director's Cut to play through here over the next few days but I ended up liking it quite a bit with some caveats (one major one in fact)

I love the whole "Grindhouse" feel of the game. It definitely adds a modicum of intentional hilarity that the other "House of the Dead" games lack. Despite that, the constant F-bombs from Washington started to grate after awhile. Sure it was funny the first ten times but by the end of the game I just wanted to turn around and pop a bullet in the guys mouth. Also, the story is ridiculously over the top and at times hilarious (as is the music). Sometimes in a good way and other times in an uncomfortable, squirm in your seat kind of way.:lol

Once the shooting starts though, the weapons featured all have good weight and recoil to them. I like the cash/upgrade system as well. It's nice to be able to switch weapons during the level to suit your needs and it adds variety thanks to the fact that each one has its own distinct feel. The remote calibration in the game is solid and I never felt as though the Wii Remote/Nyko Gunshot combination I was using was causing me any major issues.

The levels have a ton of hidden little things to shoot at including collectible brains, slow motion power-ups, healing items and grenades. Also, the combo system which increases your score according to how many enemies you kill without missing or taking a hit adds to the replay value.

Visually the game is a bit of a mixed bag. The in-game stuff looks great. The filters used to enhance that grindhouse feel help to hide some of the aliasing problems and the character/enemy animations are solid and detailed. There's some good texture work throughout and considering the system the game resides on, I was pleasantly suprised with what I saw once the shooting started. That being said, the cutscenes range from decent to outright garbage. Some of the characters (like Varla Gunns for instance) look atrocious.:td Also, the game streams in data off the disc regularly which can cause a sort of hitch effect as the camera is panning and you're proceeding through the leves. It can be bothersome as you could be mid-shot or mid-aim and it can totally screw up a high kill combo. The framerate can also take a dip during some of the more effects laden sequences which is unfortunate.

So what's my major beef? The game is just too damned easy. I've played some of the levels with the extra mutants option on and I still breezed through with little to no issue. I wouldn't have too much of an issue with that if iit wasn't for the rest of the HotD games offering some good challenge (including some great boss battles). The boss battles in Overkill are visually impressive but they have "made for dummies" stamped all over them. The developers even go so far as to circle the weak points during the fight so you know exactly where to shoot. Big no-no to me.:furious

Overkill is a solid effort though. A good entry into the House of the Dead series with some glaring flaws. There are some things I'd like to see improved, but I wouldn't say not to House of the Dead Overkill 2.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

...and it's hitting the PS3 with Move and 3D support:

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/05/27/the-house-of-the-dead-overkill-extended-cut-announced/

When we released The House of the Dead: OVERKILL for Wii, one of the most common things we heard is the wish that it be on a next gen console. Your wishes have been heard and answered! That mutant massacring B-Movie blood fest, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL, is coming to the Playstation 3 with some great extras! The House of the Dead: OVERKILL Extended Cut is presented for the first time in spectacular high definition with 3D support and Playstation Move compatibility on the Playstation3. This gruesome shooter puts you in the middle of a mutant outbreak in Bayou County. The extended cut has all seven stages of the original re-mastered, and two brand new scenarios added, so the baddest just got bigger!

This was a fun game on the Wii. Trashy as hell but entertaining.