LCVG

Apple Discussion Thread V: WWDC 08 and Beyond

JFo

Since the old thread was getting a bit big, and since we're almost ready for the 2008 Worldwide Developers Conference, I figured it was hight time for new Apple thread.

To get things rolling, rumors are suggesting that we may get the first glimpse of the successor to Leopard next week. The code name for this release is apparently Snow Leopard. Take a look:

Rumor: Mac OS X 10.6 to debut at WWDC 08?

10.6 will not include any new significant features from 10.5; instead, Apple is focusing solely on "stability and security."

We have also learned that OS X 10.6 may go gold master by December 2008 in an effort to start shipping it in January '09 at Macworld Expo. Mac OS X 10.6 will be a milestone release for Apple, as it will leave the PowerPC behind: a fully 64-bit clean, Intel-only Mac OS X.

Of course this could all be bullshit for all we know. I haven't been following the Apple Train for very long, but I would find it odd that they'd release a new version of OS X without any significant features or updates. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course this could all be bullshit for all we know. I haven't been following the Apple Train for very long, but I would find it odd that they'd release a new version of OS X without any significant features or updates. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.

A "stability and security" update sure would make for a boring ass presentation. Something Apple avoids at all cost.

I imagine if they are in fact releasing a "snow leopard" OS update then it will be a small part of the presentation and will focus on the security aspect of pursuing a true step above MS.

Also keep in mind this is WWDC a 'stability and security", intel only, even more solidified would appeal more to developers than to end users like you would see at a macworld.

This is not even a rumor, just speculation, but MacRumors readers were discussing the possibility of 10.6 being PC compatible. It's said to be Intel only, no new features, banners already up at WWDC missing "Mac Branding", etc.

Interesting thought.

The reason for the drop in "Mac" branding from "OS X" is easily explained by them wanting to use the "OS X" branding on the "iPhone" brand (which is not exclusively part of the "Mac" brand)...coinciding with the release of the App store and rebranding of .Mac to drop the "Mac" brand for similar reasons. I'll be amazed if OS X is ever officially condoned or licensed on non-Apple products as long as Jobs is at the helm. Jobs clearly hated the Clone Wars approach and saw it as a major reason for Apple's floundering in the mid-late 90's. It eats Apple's hardware profits, the QA problems devalue the brand, and the end-to-end control over user experience is taken away.

For me 90% of my Iphone internet usage is while I am at work in which I have wifi access. The other 10% is when I am around the house, and the few times im just checking sports scores or twitter which load quickly. I don't travel much as I walk to work , but If i did have a huge commute. I would feel the need to upgrade. If I see a few must have apps that need internet , then I would upgrade just for the 3G. We shall see what happens, as I always crack at new stuff

I will upgrade my iPhone for 32gb, 3G and iChat. If any of those features are missing I think I'll wait. I'm still very happy with my current iPhone: I already have video capture and direct YouTube uploading/email with it, the 8gb storage hasn't been a problem for the most part and Edge/WiFi coverage hasn't been a prob either. As far as the new features the biggest for me is the iChat thing. I don't lack for WiFi access so 3G would be nice (no doubt) but, its not the big feature for me. Being able to do video chat is. To be fair though, I work in video so my "wants" may not be the same as others. Also, having 32gb of storage would be great - would mean not having to swap out videos as often.

The App Store and most of the other features will be available for or I already have a similiar app on my current iPhone. should be an interesting day regardless :)

Yep, must have 3G only apps will be the motivating factor for me to upgrade as well. I also want to see the inevitable side-by-side video comparisons of Edge vs. 3G load speeds.

By the way, which live blogging site will you guys be watching? I forget who typically has the best coverage. Engadget?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/steve-jobs-keynote-live-from-wwdc-2008/

http://www.macrumorslive.com/

Those two, and since I am home I will be watching Leo Laporte live at Twitlive.tv as Ryan block will be on there talking with leo as the news starts to come out about everything announced, just not the phone

FYI, Ryan will not be on Twitlive.

From Engadget

Josh T: "Hillary Clinton named president... of AppleCare division. Finally, Universal AppleCare."

Ryan: "Apple announces acquisition of Sharper Image's remaining assets; rebadges flagship product line iOnic Breeze."

Thomas: "iPods, iMacs renamed EeePods and EeeMacs; iPhone launched which is somehow both bigger and smaller than the current model."

Chris: "iPhone Capsule is introduced to thunderous applause, allowing consumers to effortlessly go 'back in time' to retrieve their obsoleted iPhone models."

Josh F: "In a surprise move, Steve Jobs says 'But wait: There's more!' instead of his signature 'Just one more thing,' then proceeds to throw in a Shamwow and two Infinity Razors if you order in the next 30 minutes."

Paul: "Jobs in a white wife-beater tucked into Levi's 501 cutoffs."

You are Josh F arent ya :-)

Wil Harris posted this info for the UK on his Twitter. He's not one to post info for the hell of it.

OK guys, here's the scoop: iPhone 3G will be free to new customers and ?100 upgrade to existing customers

Announced tonight, but not shipping until July 11. Online registration to get the first new handsets

Note: this is UK specific info, US may differ slightly. But UKers... prepare for a nice new handset if you're happy with the contract