LCVG

Tivo HD refurb $159

exile

Their software is just one thing I like better. A few others

-The ability to upgrade the hard drives in there

-Transfer programs between HD tivo's

-Move programs from the Tivo to the computer to burn for portable devices

-Or watch on the computer (works with Mac)

-Works with Amazon unbox (which can come in handy sometimes if not on Live)

-Video Podcast downloads for a bunch of the shows I watch

-and #1 for me online program scheduling

The only HD-DVR in the Tivo's league is the Dish VIP622.

Then again Tivo has had a patent lawsuit against Dish over their DVRs for some time now :lol

Been using the Tivo HD for a few months now. Very good. I think the Dish unit was a bit better from strictly a DVR standpoint, but the Tivo is better at some things, the Guide layout is better, it streams videos and music and photos from your computer (yes, the PS3/Xbox does this too...but the Tivo is handier somehow)

My coworker had the Charter HD-DVR and hated it (coming from the Dish 622 like me). The 30-sec skip is especially a must. He ended up with an SD Tivo instead of the cableco HD DVR (he didn't want to pay the $400 for a new HD unit).

I ponied up for lifetime service and about $260 for the Tivo. In like 5 years the lifetime service will equal the Cableco's rental fees and I'll be ahead :lol:

The only HD-DVR in the Tivo's league is the Dish VIP622.

Agreed that the Dish is the closest, but the Tivo is in a league of it's own. Even with the 622 my wife and I were often pining for our old SD Tivo.

We want an HD Tivo, but that won't happen until we make our next provider switch, likely next summer.

I ponied up for lifetime service and about $260 for the Tivo. In like 5 years the lifetime service will equal the Cableco's rental fees and I'll be ahead

The only flaw in this thinking(which I have thought of as well) is if the box fails or craps out, you are SOL and need to find a way to fix it or replace it.

The other thing that keeps me from jumping is the HD Tivo's don't work if your cable company uses SDV(Switched Digital Video). SDV will be a huge deal this year and next. If Tivo fixes this, I'll probably get one. Some cable companies are already using SDV.

The other thing that keeps me from jumping is the HD Tivo's don't work if your cable company uses SDV(Switched Digital Video). SDV will be a huge deal this year and next. If Tivo fixes this, I'll probably get one. Some cable companies are already using SDV.

Like Time Warner here in Austin it appears. We got HD & their HD-DVR for "free" in our new package and we still went back to the old SD Tivo... That's how much my wife likes the Tivo interface - we're sacrificing HD for the better interface.

Time Warner out here is supposed to be sending out switch boxes for Tivo HD users in the next few months (according to a friend suffering with one right now here), but I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, it's Tivo SD for us...

The only flaw in this thinking(which I have thought of as well) is if the box fails or craps out, you are SOL and need to find a way to fix it or replace it.

Meh. The thing that will most likely die with be a HDD or a fan, and I can take it apart and fix that myself. If it's monthly vs lifetime service it is more like 3-4 year break even..

Wow, Tivo must be good if people are willing to sacrifice HD television viewing just to use it. If a show is available in HD you could not pay me to watch it in SD.

I haven't updated to the newer mpeg-4 DirecTV dvrs just because i won't loosen my grip on my HR10-250 DirecTiVo. :)

You'll be forced to make a decision sooner than later. It's either stick with D* and don't get HD or move to a different provider.

Yeah, I've been holding back as I vaguely remember hearing (reading) somewhere that Directv and Tivo may actually renew their partnership in releasing a new box but, after doing some digging around... found this online.

After chatting with Joey, I think I'll dump D*tv and just get Cablevision (I already have their internet and phone service) and then get 2 HD Tivos.

I've had TiVo since Series 1 debuted and don't want to do without it. Especially with all the posts regarding d*tv issues with their dvrs over at AVS and DBSTalk.com, I really have no real desire to leave it at this point.

I left Cablevision in early 2002 when they didn't have the YES Network. Now I get to tell D*TV that I'll be leaving them for not getting Tivo back. :/

It's pretty tough to make an HD HTPC these days and make it play nice with cablecards. I did look into it but it seemed like too much headache - a big con for me.

Plus, when the PC has trouble or crashes or something and the wife doesn't get her episode of In Treatment, and she beats me to death...another con...it's risky. :lol