LCVG

Upcoming Movies The Trilogy (Part III)

33 minutes ago, iainl said:

Really not sure how I feel about the way they're selling Mulan. It's $30, but not -exactly- a rental. Apparently it's like a PS+ title - yours forever, as long as you continue to subscribe forever. On the other hand, if (like me, and I suspect a lot of other people) you've got a yearly sub then it'll probably just be a regular title by the time you fall off the back and then decide to subscribe again later.

That's similar to my feelings about it in the the D+ thread. It's an odd model of approach given that you'd think Disney+'s base is largely made up of people with no interest in paying for their content elsewhere, either digitally or physically, and just want everything under one sub (you know, like the service was advertised as being!). So when the $30 premium for Mulan only gives you infinite number of rewatches until the film is available for everyone else on the service x number of months later, I'm not entirely sure what the draw is for customers. 

I don't think it's a particularly good look to also relegate the huge budget movie with an all asian cast to streaming either. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright, regarding Dan’s staggering cultural myopia.  I’ve let it stew for more than 24 hours, but no more.   If an alien species communicated with us, querying what it is to be human, askin

Bill and Ted 3 Teaser      

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Tenet has had a strong opening in the UK

The Warner Bros espionage thriller took £3.27m across the three-day weekend, from August 28-30, and has topped the £5m mark due to its opening last Wednesday (August 26) – averaging more than £1m in daily takings.

Showing on 3,114 screens in 620 locations, the film generated a screen average of £5,358 from Friday to Sunday. Warner Bros said the film captured a 74% share of the market, with IMAX screenings representing a 12% share.

Tenet could not match the opening weekend of Nolan’s Dunkirk, which took £9.9m when released in July 2017; cosmic sci-fi Interstellar, which reported a three-day gross of £5.4m when it opened in November 2014; or his previous spy thriller Inception, which took £5.9m on its release in July 2010.

But Tenet’s takings are impressive when taking into consideration that more than 20% of cinemas in the UK and Ireland remained closed post-lockdown and those that are open have social distancing measures in place, meaning screens are only able to be filled to around 50% of their full capacity.

Figures across Europe are equally good for their respective markets. It might give studios more confidence to re-schedule more films theatrically for international markets. Bill & Ted Face the Music isn't going to streaming here and has its theatrical date set for later in September (though that has been the plan for a while, and wasn't prompted in response to Tenet's success).

Bought and watched Bill and Ted Face the Music - I thought it was stupid, short (like 1:30) but funny 😊 I would put it on par with Bogus Journey and not as good as Excellent Adventure. Worth a watch for fans but, it’s not going to convert anyone if you aren’t a fan. P.S. Keanu looks weird without a beard...

I give it 3 out of 5 Circle K’s

keanu reeves 80s GIF

I enjoyed the daughters more than Bill and Ted themselves who frankly just felt too old for this shit. Keanu walking around looking like Severus Snape didn’t help.

The first viewing wasn’t particularly positive but I enjoyed it more the second time around. Ted’s daughter in particular has his mannerisms down beautifully and is a joy to watch. Samara Weaving is doing everything possible to control her accent from coming through.D

Dennis is fantastic.

I personally put it Face the Music below Bogus Journey. Bill & Ted was definitely a product of its era, where loud guitars and guitar solos were still in the mainstream. Keanu's super fresh shave made his appearance a bit weird (I guess he didn't have enough time to tan evenly :) )

It was ok, I felt it was funny if you were familiar with the older movies. I felt it didn't grab my kids as the originals grabbed me when I was their age.

A lot of the scenes had weird pacing specially early on - maybe it was down to the editing, but it picked up later on.

Overall I was entertained but I probably won't watch it again any time soon.

I should say that Alex Winters definitely carried the movie on the Bill and Ted side. I think Keanu is the weakest link there but I don't think its because he half-assed it or anything. He's just not the "Whoah" guy anymore. I don't know if he can channel that part of himself like he used to. I mean dude is just John Wick to me now. It's hard to separate that image whereas even when he was in the Matrix, he was still "Ted" in a lot of ways.

• 3 weeks later...

Benson & Moorhead, the pair behind the rather brilliant THE ENDLESS are back, and someone's given them some budget. I present SYNCHRONIC.

Looks quite the thing. Interesting to see that they've now uploaded this version of the trailer that ends COMING SOON after delisting the version with COMING TO THEATERS, though. I guess Covid strikes again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/3/22150605/hbo-max-warner-bros-movies-2021-simultaneous-release-matrix-godzilla-suicide-squad-space-jam

There are some limitations to the new business model. The movies will only stream on HBO Max for one month before leaving the platform for a period of time. They will also play in theaters, keeping the relationship with movie theater distributors like AMC and Regal. The plan is to run this experiment for one year.

The movies Warner Bros. is planning to release include: The Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah, Tom & Jerry, Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat, Those Who Wish Me Dead, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, In The Heights, Space Jam: A New Legacy, The Suicide Squad, Reminiscence, Malignant, Dune, The Many Saints of Newark, King Richard, Cry Macho and Matrix 4. All films will be released in 4K Ultra HD and HDR.

7 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

And just like that, movie theaters died.

This is just domestic too. So maybe just theaters in the US die. Will be interesting to see what the domino effect is. Not to get political, I think this more shows that Warner doesn't believe the US will solve the virus problem next year, but Europe and Asia will.

Given this has been announced after all three Vaccine revelations, I have to suspect this is more about saving HBO Max (which hasn’t had nearly the subscribers they wanted, at twice the price of Disney+) than what’s going on with cinemas. 

But the US is bad right now in terms of cinema going, between those that won’t risk it in states that are open and the biggest markets being outright closed. Currently, films aren’t coming out at all; if this means those parts of the world that are open again have something to show then it will save more cinemas than it kills.