LCVG
JTello

Upcoming Movies The Trilogy (Part III)

13 hours ago, Romier S said:

Keith, bruh....you opened my eyes to a whole new movie universe I never knew existed....

Holy shit! 

I don't even know what that is you shared.  There is no way that is from an actual movie.  The audio seems like it came from a VHS camcorder.  I'm 20% sure that Romier put that video together just to be funny.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:44 PM, Romier S said:

Showgirls is legit entertaining. It’s an utterly horrid movie but cripes it’s stupidly watchable junk. Not just for the T&A either. Berkley’s “performance” is legendarily so bad it’s good and it’s not all her fault either. The script is awful and the direction was equally horrid....

...but it’s a total guilty pleasure for me. Not gonna lie.

I actually had the "pleasure" of seeing "Showgirls" during it's original theatrical release.  The chains wouldn't play it, of course, because of the NC-17, but a local arthouse theater showed it, and it was so very, very bad and so very, very entertaining.  You know I got that shit on DVD the second it was available.  :D

If this movie doesn't open with Maverick flying a cargo plane full of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong, I'm going to be very disappointed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’ve still never seen Top Gun.

It's, umm, of its time. Not in the top half of the Tom Cruise League Table for me. Has its merits, but the faults are rather more obvious than they used to be.

I’ve seen fragments of it, and have seen Hot Shots and other spoofs, so have always felt that I’ve been able to piece it together despite not having seen it beginning to end. It’s not a resistance to seeing it either, just one of those hugely popular films that has continuously escaped me.

5 hours ago, iainl said:

It's, umm, of its time. Not in the top half of the Tom Cruise League Table for me. Has its merits, but the faults are rather more obvious than they used to be.

It’s no Iron Eagle

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, iainl said:

Wait, now I want to hear about it’s faults.  I still love this movie.  And I love almost every actor and their performance.  Great characters.  There is a point where my love for characters and performances pulls me through plot holes without even noticing.  Even Meg Ryan is a amazing in her tiny role.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:16 AM, Angry the Clown said:

I’ve still never seen Top Gun.

Ill go further. I’ve seen it and couldn’t give less of a shit about it or it’s sequel.

/shrug

• Like 2

Everyone who loved Top Gun at the time seemed to be primarily keen on the action scenes, which have dated really, really badly - the model work jumps out, and the actual planes for the most part just fly along fairly sensibly. Cruse’s character is from that lamentable stage of his career where being the world’s smarmiest  git was supposedly romantically alluring, and there are literally negative values of chemistry between him and McGillis. The homoerotic undertones are over-discusses and largely consist of a genuine camaraderie alongside Scott’s remarkable ability to keep women entertained through a film about manly men flying fighter jets, but that throws the failed romance into stark relief. 

But. 

Cruise has since come to terms with his inability to play a romantic character (even Ethan / Ilsa is curiously sexless) and has turned into the world’s premier “my God he actually did that” deliverer of incredible stunt work. So I’m absolutely there for this sequel. None of my issues with the original seem relevant here. 

What's to like about Top Gun?  An overly cocky pilot sings bad karaoke, tries to cheat to win,  then gets a guy killed through his recklessness, then has to be begged to rejoin a fight after cowardly breaking off from an enemy engagement.  When he finally does, he's considered a hero?

I recall the audio mix was pretty good, and it did result in some memorable quotes, but I never understood how Maverick is the good guy in this film. Come to think of it, he's like another Miyagi.  Fuck Miyagi.

Carlos.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carlucci said:

... but I never understood how Maverick is the good guy in this film.

I remember a buddy of mine argued that Iceman was the real hero and I remember everyone saying "huh, you're right." And he used many of the same examples as you!

Jesus.  Fucking.  Christ.

iainl, you just did an incredibly brave thing.  You routinely fly by the seat of your pants on this forum.  Criticizing a beloved movie like this.  This forum is a target-rich environment for such things.    What you should have done was shut the fuck up.  I see some real genius in your critiques.  But sorry, Maverick still takes my breathe away.  He's just trying to full-fill his need, your need, our need, and the needs of those around him for speed.   And self-lessly trying to keep his less-gifted best friend from descending, like a great ball of fire, into the impoverished world of truck-driving.  You don't like him because you think he's dangerous.  He is dangerous.  But you're opinions are foolish and dangerous.  With a movie like this, you can't think through your opinion.  You have to feel it.   If you think, you're opinion is dead -- to me.  And everyone else on this forum.  Such behavior suggests that you have a confidence problem.  Don't bother telling us that this bullshit will never, happen, again.  We know that's rubber dogshit.  No apologies.

20 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Jesus.  Fucking.  Christ.

iainl, you just did an incredibly brave thing.  You routinely fly by the seat of your pants on this forum.  Criticizing a beloved movie like this.  This forum is a target-rich environment for such things.    What you should have done was shut the fuck up.  I see some real genius in your critiques.  But sorry, Maverick still takes my breathe away.  He's just trying to full-fill his need, your need, our need, and the needs of those around him for speed.   And self-lessly trying to keep his less-gifted best friend from descending, like a great ball of fire, into the impoverished world of truck-driving.  You don't like him because you think he's dangerous.  He is dangerous.  But you're opinions are foolish and dangerous.  With a movie like this, you can't think through your opinion.  You have to feel it.   If you think, you're opinion is dead -- to me.  And everyone else on this forum.  Such behavior suggests that you have a confidence problem.  Don't bother telling us that this bullshit will never, happen, again.  We know that's rubber dogshit.  No apologies.

Not the hero this thread deserves, just the one we need.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, foogledricks said:

But sorry, Maverick still takes my breathe away.  He's just trying to full-fill his need, your need, our need, and the needs of those around him for speed.  And self-lessly trying to keep his less-gifted best friend from descending, like a great ball of fire, into the impoverished world of truck-driving.  You don't like him because you think he's dangerous.  He is dangerous.  

Oh shit. THAT’S why he’s called Maverick? I didn’t know the film had so many layers.