LCVG
JTello

Upcoming Movies The Trilogy (Part III)

I’m not surprised that I’m in a minority on this. Top Gun is essentially a two-hour advert for the US Military; the guy I knew who was obsessed with it at the time was an engineer for the USAF. So it’s a bit like the whole irrational weakness us Brits have for Bond, despite being able to see on a logical level that most of them are awful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainl said:

despite being able to see on a logical level that most of them are awful

Finally, someone admits that Brits are awful.

Let’s not do that. Because it’s going to turn almost immediately into a competition over who has the worse politics, and we don’t want to go there. 

• Haha 2

Yes, that’s like an endless tennis rally with a ball of shit being hit back and forth between the UK and US. 

Back to films... I will see Top Gun when a 4k disc inevitably comes out ahead of the sequel, or failing that an iTunes rental when it gets a 4k update. I liked the trailer for the sequel (I’m assuming Cruise is insane enough to have actually flown in some sequences).

3 hours ago, iainl said:

Let’s not do that. Because it’s going to turn almost immediately into a competition over who has the worse politics, and we don’t want to go there. 

We all suck in that regard. Call it a tie.

• Like 1

Disney will be shooting Star Wars sequels and live action animation at Pinewood for the next ten years, to be precise. Marvels are still shot in the US and they make nothing else. 

15 hours ago, JoeyN said:

They shoot Marvel films in places other then Atlanta.

Particularly if they follow through with the threats, yes - but it generally seems that Marvel outside the US is usually in "location" mode; I don't hear much out of my Pinewood/Shepperton/Leavesden lot about them the way I do with Lucasfilm.

But really this is me just being grumpy, not a serious analysis.

Thor 4’s shooting at Fox Australia (as did Ragnarok I think). Black Widow’s been shooting at Pinewood, and Dr Strange 2 and Eternals are expected to move in as well. First Dr Strange was at Shepperton. Age of Ultron used stages at both Pinewood and Shepperton too.

There’s been rumours of Star Wars productions moving to a site in Dagenham for the Rogue One Disney+ spin off and for the Game of Thrones guys trilogy.

I could see Disney just buying UK studio space within ten years, particularly if the £ tanks even further.

• Like 1

Thanks - I'd missed them, then. My fault - I mainly know Neal Scanlan people, and Black Widow doesn't need a lot of creature effects.

Honestly the one I was regularly aware of at the time was Ultron. I had to check up on the the others to be sure (Pinewood’s website is very useful as it will tell you what shot where, even want stages they occupied). Guardians of the Galaxy, the first one, was at Shepperton too.

Chance of Disney owning Pinewood Group within five years? 😫

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Honestly the one I was regularly aware of at the time was Ultron. I had to check up on the the others to be sure (Pinewood’s website is very useful as it will tell you what shot where, even want stages they occupied). Guardians of the Galaxy, the first one, was at Shepperton too.

Chance of Disney owning Pinewood Group within five years? 😫

100%

I don’t remember it at all, but it’s another I saw on the Pinewood site:

https://www.pinewoodgroup.com/pinewood-today/credits/guardians-of-the-galaxy

I can definitely see Disney buying some studio space here eventually. Might not come in the form of buying Pinewood Group entirely, but we’ll see. It was a long time after Warner occupied Leavsden with Potter before they concluded that they might as well buy the whole facility.