LCVG
dogbert

Time To Build A New PC

I decide to turn on the computer sitting next to my tv for two years to updated it. Made sure to blow all the dust out of it, make sure everything was still connected properly. Booted to windows first time, but is very slow. I restart, and blue screen of death. Things just shuts off after short while. Try and boot to the windows cd i have to start from scratch, shuts off again.  This is really going to annoy me trying to figure out why it is doing this. 

I opened it up, took a chunk of it apart, and back together again, now its loading and updating. oh the joys of tower systems.

spoke too soon. Stayed on for 10 min and then shut down. Cant get it to boot again

I would check the power supply first thing. Aside from that hard to tell without any type of error message. 

• Like 2

The new Ryzen cpu line is making me consider building a new PC.

PCIe 4 + new 5GB/s SSDs is the main attraction, followed by gobs of cores.

Maybe it’s time to get back to PC GAMING and build one that’ll be connected to the home theater system :)

PC gaming is having a Renaissance right now so jump in is my advice :) For regular gaming, almost all releases are on PC these days making it the perfect “second platform” and I have yet to play a cross-platform title on PC that wasn’t dramatically better that it’s console versions - usually for less money too. That new Ryzen line looks very good for gaming, they are priced reasonably and video cards are in the middle of the update cycle so good cards have come down in price a lot over the last few months. 

19 hours ago, Magness said:

PC gaming is having a Renaissance right now so jump in is my advice :) For regular gaming, almost all releases are on PC these days making it the perfect “second platform” and I have yet to play a cross-platform title on PC that wasn’t dramatically better that it’s console versions - usually for less money too. That new Ryzen line looks very good for gaming, they are priced reasonably and video cards are in the middle of the update cycle so good cards have come down in price a lot over the last few months. 

I'd appreciate you not enticing me to make a new PC when I don't need one asshole.  This thread is like bringing a pantless Romier to a sex addicts anonymous meeting.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

This thread is like is like bringing a pantless Romier to a sex addicts anonymous meeting.

You’re analogy couldn’t be more on-point... my apologies :D

• Haha 1

Alrighty, it's been damn near 7 years since I built my current PC, it's been a great machine and I think the only thing I've truly upgraded has been the video card, but I'm getting the itch to build a mostly new one for Cyberpunk 2077 / 4K stuff / and the next generation of VR. 

I want something that is just past the bang-for-the-buck level without getting into the absurd. I've been looking at various builder sites, but I still can't quite figure out what to get and I know this crew is smart and more dialed in than me...I'll bring over my power supply, a couple of smaller SSDs, and a whole bunch of 6TB drives that I got through funny circumstances. I need a case big enough to hold an ATX motherboard and all those drives and I could care less about looks or any kind of dumb clear windows to see in the case or RGB lighting. I'll probably go with one of the higher-end i7 CPUs (which one?), some variety of RTX 2070 for the GPU, an unknown motherboard, a 1TB SSD for the boot drive. Help? 

That video card will be great and should cover you for 4K stuff on most current releases (probably new releases for the next year or so too). Just remember that if you add VR or enable ray tracing and other high-end features you won’t be looking at 4K resolution’s but, that video card should still handle almost anything on high or ultra settings. 

As far as the PC itself you should be able to get pretty good prices on an Intel build with the Ryzen parts out now but, you should definitely look into Ryzen builds too.  The Ryzen CPUs beat Intel in most benchmarks at the same price points and seem to be better all around in multithreaded work but, gaming was more equal between them. I still don’t think you need anything more than 4 Cores/4 threads in 99% of games so you might be able to look at more mid range or last gen parts (i5 8600k, i7 8700k, etc) with higher clock speeds to get better gaming performance and save some money on the MB/CPU/RAM. As far as the motherboard and memory, I prefer the Gigabyte ultra-durable series for their reliability and lack of flashy LEDs :) but, there are certainly more gamer-focused boards available if you prefer. I’d also recommend you go for standard DDR4 2400 memory but, go for 32GB and don’t worry much about the speed since this doesn’t seem to impact gaming as much as the amount of RAM. 16GB is fine but is becoming standard now so if you can swing it, go for 32. 

Have fun building it out man and let us know what you end up going with :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magness said:

That video card will be great and should cover you for 4K stuff on most current releases (probably new releases for the next year or so too). Just remember that if you add VR or enable ray tracing and other high-end features you won’t be looking at 4K resolution’s but, that video card should still handle almost anything on high or ultra settings. 

As far as the PC itself you should be able to get pretty good prices on an Intel build with the Ryzen parts out now but, you should definitely look into Ryzen builds too.  The Ryzen CPUs beat Intel in most benchmarks at the same price points and seem to be better all around in multithreaded work but, gaming was more equal between them. I still don’t think you need anything more than 4 Cores/4 threads in 99% of games so you might be able to look at more mid range or last gen parts (i5 8600k, i7 8700k, etc) with higher clock speeds to get better gaming performance and save some money on the MB/CPU/RAM. As far as the motherboard and memory, I prefer the Gigabyte ultra-durable series for their reliability and lack of flashy LEDs :) but, there are certainly more gamer-focused boards available if you prefer. I’d also recommend you go for standard DDR4 2400 memory but, go for 32GB and don’t worry much about the speed since this doesn’t seem to impact gaming as much as the amount of RAM. 16GB is fine but is becoming standard now so if you can swing it, go for 32. 

Have fun building it out man and let us know what you end up going with :)

Interesting, AMD has been an afterthought for so long now I hadn’t even considered them, but those 3000 series Ryzen chips look like the obvious choice. Thanks!

These are all excellent suggestions. Any thoughts on full-featured cases that are easy to get around without a bunch of flashy, unnecessary BS?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, secretvampire said:

Interesting, AMD has been an afterthought for so long now I hadn’t even considered them, but those 3000 series Ryzen chips look like the obvious choice. Thanks!

These are all excellent suggestions. Any thoughts on full-featured cases that are easy to get around without a bunch of flashy, unnecessary BS?

You might want to look into power consumption on those.  AMD is notoriously power sucking, but otherwise fine.  Cases are a dime a dozen.  You should be able to find one that isn't flashy for less than $50 that has all the bays you should need and front USB ports.  There really is very little difference in cases when you just want something basic.  What type of features are you putting in the "full-featured" basket?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

You might want to look into power consumption on those.  AMD is notoriously power sucking, but otherwise fine.  Cases are a dime a dozen.  You should be able to find one that isn't flashy for less than $50 that has all the bays you should need and front USB ports.  There really is very little difference in cases when you just want something basic.  What type of features are you putting in the "full-featured" basket?

The benchmarks on the latest Ryzen series don’t seem to indicate any excessive power consumption but correct me if I am wrong.

For the case, I just meant something that is intelligently designed for where the components fit, easy access to the various bays, not hard to remove the access panels when doing work, good cable management, etc.

• Like 1

Apparently power consumption has improved quite a bit in the 3000's.  I wasn't aware.

I don't think you'll have an issue finding a case to suit your needs.  You described about 90% or more of the cases I see at Microcenter regularly.  

My computer is still so damn fast, I can't justify another build.  Though I don't play a lot of games on it anymore.  I've never had a computer so long.  This is my best computer ever.

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

My computer is still so damn fast, I can't justify another build.  Though I don't play a lot of games on it anymore.  I've never had a computer so long.  This is my best computer ever.

Isn’t it time... for an upgrade Keith...? ;) 

Cases are pretty good these days for cable management and stuff so that shouldn’t be much of an issue but, lots include WAY too many LEDs (not my thing). I like Coolermaster and Corsair brands because they are usually clean designs that will look good in the living room and have nice, easy access to mount fans, the PSU and everything. Regardless,, Eldorado is right and regular, off-brand cases will be good for almost any build too and save you some $

Power consumption should be comparable between Intel and AMD with Ryzen CPUs but, the AMD video cards don’t cool as efficiently as the Nvidia cards do per Anandtech so stick to the RTX 2070 Super edition. You already have good hard disks so you can save some money there too but, you may want to look into an OS drive upgrade to a new M2 PCIE4 drive just to get the fastest thing you can for Windows. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Magness said:

Cases are pretty good these days for cable management and stuff so that shouldn’t be much of an issue but, lots include WAY too many LEDs (not my thing). I like Coolermaster and Corsair brands because they are usually clean designs that will look good in the living room and have nice, easy access to mount fans, the PSU and everything. Regardless,, Eldorado is right and regular, off-brand cases will be good for almost any build too and save you some $

Power consumption should be comparable between Intel and AMD with Ryzen CPUs but, the AMD video cards don’t cool as efficiently as the Nvidia cards do per Anandtech so stick to the RTX 2070 Super edition. You already have good hard disks so you can save some money there too but, you may want to look into an OS drive upgrade to a new M2 PCIE4 drive just to get the fastest thing you can for Windows. 

Cool, thanks for the case suggestions, I will check the knock-offs, too!

Yeah, I'm definitely still sticking with Nvidia. That is good to know on the PCI v4.0 spec, I didn't know this was a thing since I'm so far out of the loop, but yes, I'd rather be at least a little future proof and get the right SSD for the boot drive as well.

To be fair, I don't "need" any of this either. But I figure it's time to go ahead and build my next 7+ year machine and I am pretty much stuck where I am currently, my old horizontal HT-focused case, i5-2500K CPU and related motherboard aren't going to allow me to incrementally upgrade anymore. Gotta feed my 4K projector the good stuff. 😁

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Magness said:

Isn’t it time... for an upgrade Keith...? ;) 

The good news is the longer you wait, the greater the impact of your upgrades.

I can't edit 4k video with my rig, I need to use proxies.  Which is fine.  I have no problem with that.  Not having to use proxies isn't really that beneficial.  If anything, buying a new rig will just make transcoding proxies faster.  I think I'd still render proxies anyway if I thought it would get me better performance, which it would.

I use SteamLink to play PC games on my TV.  Not sure if I lose anything between my PC and my TV in doing that, making upgrading for games less beneficial.  I played DOOM through SteamLInk and it was awesome.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, secretvampire said:

Alrighty, did more reading after all of the great advice from @Magness and filled in the rest of the gaps after a couple of hours (such as, why I needed an X570 chipset motherboard for the new Gen3 Ryzen CPUs and PCIE4 compatibility). Final list:

• AMD Ryzen 3700X CPU
  • Gigabyte X570 Gaming X motherboard
  • G.Skill somethingorother 32GB DDR4-3600 memory
  • Sabrent 1TB M.2 / PCIE4 SSD
  • Fractal Design Meshify C case
  • EVGA RTX 2080, Black Edition GPU

Man, that PCIE4 throughput is insane, can't imagine what the OS speed is going to be like and should have enough space left for lots of games, didn't want to spring another $200 for the 2TB version, that can wait. Went with the DDR-3600 memory after reading some about how the Ryzen gen3 chips work with the latest chipsets, seems to be a decent upgrade. And RTX 2070 Super cards are sold out everywhere, so bit the bullet and bumped up to the RTX 2080 😬. No way I was going to pay the premium for the 2080Ti. Going to be about a week before everything gets here, the CPU was the bottleneck since the next shipment is hitting on the 22nd just about everywhere.

Wow that’s a beast of a system

Awesome - Damn dude that IS a beast :) Really good spec all around, nice bump up on the video card since the Supers are sold out and a great OS drive too. That thing is going to be So Fast. Oh, and that case is really cool too (love the front face of it). Nice one man - definitely post some pics once you’ve got it built and let us know how it performs (new vs old). You should be set for anything in 4K at ultra settings (Cyberpunk, etc) to your projector and that rig will cover you for just about anything else you want to enable (ray tracing, VR, etc). 

That machine sounds killer...let me know how much better it is than your i5-2500k...I'm running the same processor and don't *need* to upgrade, but have been kicking it around for a while.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:23 AM, jubjub75 said:

That machine sounds killer...let me know how much better it is than your i5-2500k...I'm running the same processor and don't *need* to upgrade, but have been kicking it around for a while.

I have an i7-2600K, rocking a GTX1060 - still holds up after all these years....

I can't imagine 4-5GB/s SSD speeds though - that may be just as great as when I installed an SSD into this machine (which was about 10x jump in performance, at around 400MB/s). Those new Pcie4 SSDs look like another 10x improvement from what I have ATM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbertA said:

I have an i7-2600K, rocking a GTX1060 - still holds up after all these years....

I can't imagine 4-5GB/s SSD speeds though - that may be just as great as when I installed an SSD into this machine (which was about 10x jump in performance, at around 400MB/s). Those new Pcie4 SSDs look like another 10x improvement from what I have ATM.

Everything I've been reading says it's nowhere even close to as dramatic as platters -> SSD, but also if you are buying new, that it's a no-brainer to go that route.

On another note, my Ryzen CPU came in way earlier than expected so all of my parts are now in my hands for the weekend!

• Like 4

I’ve been giving some consideration to living off iOS day to day and moving my creative work to Windows and building a new PC again (my Macbook Pro has a battery fault and if Apple want to charge me for it I’m not sure I can be bothered. I don’t want another Macbook Pro and would sooner see the iMacs re-designed before getting one).

I’m not looking to build a star destroyer like Secretvampire but I’m keen to price something up for fun to see whether it appeals. Even if I do stick with Mac OS in my workspace I’m still quite curious to see what a miniITX PC might set me back for gaming and media. My last build was too much of a space hog. I wonder how small (and quiet) I can go.