LCVG
dogbert

Time To Build A New PC

ITX builds are pretty reasonable these days. You can get low profile/low power/low noise CPU coolers, PSU’s and video cards now for ITX builds so they can be pretty good. You can get up to the 1660 or 1080 on GPU’s I think - I haven’t seen 2k series in low profile but they may be out too. ITX motherboards are usually on current-gen chipsets now too so you shouldn’t be missing too many features; just maybe fewer ports to utilise. I have no idea on costs but, it should cost you less than an iMac would :)

1 hour ago, secretvampire said:

Everything I've been reading says it's nowhere even close to as dramatic as platters -> SSD, but also if you are buying new, that it's a no-brainer to go that route.

On another note, my Ryzen CPU came in way earlier than expected so all of my parts are now in my hands for the weekend!

Woot - I’m so excited for you! I love the build stage and that first run through testing all the new shit: HD speed and game benchmarks and all of it :D 

7 minutes ago, Magness said:

ITX builds are pretty reasonable these days. You can get low profile/low power/low noise CPU coolers, PSU’s and video cards now for ITX builds so they can be pretty good. You can get up to the 1660 or 1080 on GPU’s I think - I haven’t seen 2k series in low profile but they may be out too. ITX motherboards are usually on current-gen chipsets now too so you shouldn’t be missing too many features; just maybe fewer ports to utilise. I have no idea on costs but, it should cost you less than an iMac would :)

Yeah. If nothing else I'm curious to see what I can price up.

Hopefully there's no fee on my Macbook Pro repair for now though. The battery replacement alert has been there for some time, but the unit has had fewer than 800 cycles and according to Apple's own website under UK/EU law that constitutes as a manufacturer's fault if a Macbook Pro battery goes wrong before it hits 1000 cycles, even out of standard warranty and Apple Care period, so I'll get in touch with them to set up an appointment.

Oops, forgot to update last night. Had a pretty painless time putting everything together this weekend, aided by a 7 hour power outage on Saturday which motivated me to just sit down and plow through the rest of it. It took me a little longer than I thought it would, but maybe I'm a lot more deliberate than I was in my younger years. And that's probably why everything just worked with no issues!

Case looks great, it's a little louder than my old one though not by much, understandable with the much more appropriate/substantial fans in this one for the beefy hardware. I would have been fine with no window at all since I really abhor the blinged out builds people do, and yet I kind of like the dark tinted glass. I have it sitting on its side, so if I walk up near it I can see inside on the top and it's cool, just the LED that is inside the AMD cooler/fan on top of the CPU and one on the edge of the video card. It looks really nice and doesn't bleed out into the room! 

Knocks on the case are probably the same I would have had with any case this size, due to the amount of drives I crammed into it and they are the old 3.5" size. If I wanted to avoid this, I probably would have needed to go with the "full" ATX tower styles, but I made it work. The back panel (now on the bottom) that covers where most of the cable management takes place as well as covers the (only) two 3.5" drive bays, I had to really give it a good shove to get it back on and screwed in, the ends of the SATA cables on the drives made it hard, too. The other two drives + two SSDs...well, I'm not proud of it, but I basically just stacked them neatly in the main bay on top of unused PCI slots, it works fine and the cables are out of the way, this thing isn't going to get stood up or moved and I have no idea what I'd need to put in those slots.

The upside is that the four 3.5" drives are 6TB enterprise-level Seagates that a friend that works for A Very Big Computer Company gave me a little while back, they have loads of them in their lab they use for testing that they can't then re-sell or re-use. So I have 24TB of traditional storage, the 1TB ultra-fast PCIe M.2 boot drive, and then I filled the last two slots with 250GB and 120GB SSDs pulled over from the old machine that I'll use for more game installs. I think I am set storage-wise for a very long time, hah, though there is one more M.2 slot I could use if I wanted to add another SSD at some point.

Obviously....this thing is fast. I have been re-downloading everything and updating drivers and such, but I gave DOOM a try at 4k at Ultra Detail and it was as smooth as silk. Tried a few older games that are notoriously unoptimized and load times were better and CPU definitely must have been a bottleneck on the old system too, ran much smoother.  I hope to give a few newer games a run-through shortly (Wolfenstein: Youngblood was included with the Nvidia, will try that when it releases on Friday) as well as get my Oculus hooked up and messing with super-sampling.

I am a very satisfied customer thus far!

• Like 3

Awesome man - can’t wait to hear how the Oculus works on the new rig with your new video card; that should be a substantial upgrade. Did you get a chance to benchmark any games or anything before the upgrade? Just curious how big a jump up your new PC will be on stuff like GTA 5 or Doom or whatever - not only playing them in 4K now but in 4K on ultra settings, or in VR on ultra with 2.0 SS, etc :)

I'm going to send you the Premiere files and media for my 40 minute documentary to see how long it takes you to render it on your beast.  To which you will respond 3 minutes later with a YouTube link.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2