LCVG
dogbert

Time To Build A New PC

Cyberwoo, are you looking to build or buy?

That depends. The current computer I have I bought from a local place that gets parts fairly cheap and I just picked out the parts, paid them a little extra to piece everything together and make sure its working properly. If the suggestions here are available at this same place I will likely do the same. However if I can save a substantial amount of $ from purchasing parts here and there (online) and then building it myself I suppose I could do that as well. However I'm lazy and like the idea of letting someone else do all the work. :) I will not do Dell, Gateway, etc. I want to be able to piece this thing together from the motherboard on up.

If you're looking to buy, I used a Gateway FX model that I picked up from Best Buy for about $1100. Came stock with Core 2 Quad 9300, 6 GIG RAM, 512MB 9800GT video card, 750 GB hard drive, and 64-bit Vista Home Premium. The case is tight for future upgrades but it works like a charm out of the box, and I still managed to cram my old 650w power supply, a 4870, and the KillerNIC and X-Fi from my old rig into it...

This seems to be a popular build around here... Might as well call it the "Official LCVG PC Build" at this point :lol

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

Mobo: ASUS P5K-E Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

Video: EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Sound: On-board

DVD+/-RW: LITE-ON 20X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA

Case: LIAN LI PC-61 USB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Very fast and will run anything that is currently out with plenty of overclocking room for the future. The only changes I'd make now are to the Nvidia 9800GTX+. All for around $1000 shipped to your door from NewEgg.com :tu

This seems to be a popular build around here... Might as well call it the "Official LCVG PC Build" at this point :lol

Very fast and will run anything that is currently out with plenty of overclocking room for the future. The only changes I'd make now are to the Nvidia 9800GTX+. All for around $1000 shipped to your door from NewEgg.com :tu

Obviously, if you're looking for XP, Cyberwoo, you can totally drop the amount of RAM back down to 3 or 4GB.

Obviously, if you're looking for XP, Cyberwoo, you can totally drop the amount of RAM back down to 3 or 4GB.

Even if you use Vista 64 you can drop the RAM down. I do a ton of video encoding stuff and multi-task with the best of em, so the 8GB works great for me. Plus, it's dirt cheap right now.

If you decide on XP for your OS just keep in mind Microsoft will stop supporting it on April 14, 2009.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll print out that list and go from there. Not liking the idea of onboard sound though so I'm sure I'll add one of SB's latest n greatest in there.

Edit: Looks like that motherboard is OOS on Newegg. I guess thats a good sign as it must be popular. :)

Edit #2: Hey whats the difference between dual channel kit and quad kit memory? So many f'n different types of memory its disgusting. :)

Edited by Cyberwoo

Hey I noticed they make "media center" type cases that are more box shaped and would fit nicely into a equipment rack. Anyone have experience with any of those? Something like this: http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-190-087-02.jpg Anyway just something I thought I'd throw out there. Since this will be residing in my living room I thought a case like that would be cool but if they are known to have limitations/issues then I'd like to know.

I had one of these which fits a full ATX board:

http://www.antec.com/Detail.bok?no=399

Ended up selling it and getting the low-power minicube instead. TivoHD + PS3/360 fills most of the higher-end media function already.

A good compromise:

Antec NSK2400

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article591-page1.html

Micro-ATX boards, but it takes full height expansion cards (so no problems with needing low-profile cards).

Hmm I still think it'd be sweet to have a low profile case like those. Love the idea of having that sit in my equipment rack blending in with everything else.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738#

That case looks pretty sexy right there. So is the only difference between mATX and ATX just the size (ie: footprint) of the board itself? I understand a mATX board would likely have less in the way of # of PCi slots, etc but if I can find a board that has enough for my needs I'll be all over it I spose. Are there any other disadvantages to getting a mATX board? I've fallen in love with this whole HTPC case idea for now but if its not going to be practical I guess there wont be a point to doing it. I want both form and function. Damn that video review of the Antec Fusion has me really wanting one though. :) Ahh man it comes in black too. Me wants...

Edited by Cyberwoo

While looking for a good mATX mobo I came across this one:

DFI LP Jr P45 T3RS DDR3 CrossFire Micro ATX Motherboard

Anyone know much about it? Looks like it was just released last month. Specs look nice.

Honestly I've found little need for extra PCI slots and the like these days. I don't think I have any PCI cards plugged in right now on my main PC (using the Intel HD audio rather than any of my old Soundblaster cards). Just a PCI-e video card.

The only real difference is the footprint and expansion slots...sometimes less RAM slots also. Also, sometimes it's a bit harder to find info/deals on them since they are less trafficked-in.

I'm finding some nice HTPC cases that fit regular ATX motherboards. I didn't realize the amount of options out there. They get really fancy. :) At this point I'm really leaning towards spending a little extra on a really nice HTPC case that fits a ATX board and just go for it. I can see this is going into the "more than I need" category the more I price stuff but considering I don't like upgrading I'm fine with that. I've added 1 HD to my current PC in the last 4 and 1/2 yrs and thats it for upgrades.

Speaking of HTPC cases that fits standard sized ATX mobos I see Antec makes a bigger version of the fusion called the "Fusion Remote Max". http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15727# I'm assuming it is new as I dont see any reviews yet and its not even available on Newegg or most other online vendors for that matter. I see a vendor in Australia selling it and its OOS there. :) Think I'll wait and see what the story is on that case before I buy anything.

I have a Shuttle Sn25p case which is very adaptable to an HTPC solution http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/BareboneHome.html . However , I have found in my circumstances that as a pc that will be shifted to HTPC role it is hindered by thermal issues and PSU issues. The small cases usually don't like power hungry situations. My machine is basically tapped out with a 4850 card and hardly anything else attached and adding a new power supply on a SFF is very limited in options.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

Mobo: ASUS P5K-E Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

Video: EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Sound: On-board

DVD+/-RW: LITE-ON 20X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA

Case: LIAN LI PC-61 USB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Thanks for this. I may use this as a guide and start piecing together parts as money becomes available.

So, I'm looking to build myself a new computer and give my aging (1-year) computer to my 14 year-old son. Here are the basics of what I'm running now:

Processor: Intel E6750 @ 2.66 GHz

Motherboard: Intel DP35DP

Memory: 2x1GB PC6400 DDR2 (2GB total)

Videocard: eVGA 8800GTS 320MB

Looking at upgrading to this:

Processor: Intel Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz

Motherboard: Intel DX48BT2

Memory 4x2GB 1333MHz DDR3 (8GB total)

Videocard: 2xATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB

So, what I'm wondering is, will I have any trouble getting those two videocards in a mid-tower case, specificaly the Antec P182, will I have any trouble running any major games on the 64-bit Windows (specifically The Sims 2, Bioshock, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Half-Life 2), is a Quad Core worth it if I do a lot of gaming, but also a lot of audio/video file encoding/decoding and will a 1000 watt powersupply be enough for those components, plus three hard drives and a DVD burner.

Thanks!

Edited by marsrunner

Okay, so I priced the "LCVG build" at NewEgg as best I could, and came up with a total of $1154. Then I went to cyberpower.com and built as close to the same set as I could, and came up with $1562. So $400 buys you assembly and a 3-yr warranty. I think I'd rather have the $400, to be honest. Hmmm...

Okay, so I priced the "LCVG build" at NewEgg as best I could, and came up with a total of $1154. Then I went to cyberpower.com and built as close to the same set as I could, and came up with $1562. So $400 buys you assembly and a 3-yr warranty. I think I'd rather have the $400, to be honest. Hmmm...

I'm probably going to jinx myself, but the comments about much easier building a new PC has gotten in this thread are true. I was surprised.

So $400 buys you assembly and a 3-yr warranty. I think I'd rather have the $400, to be honest. Hmmm...

Mostly just the assembly and software as all of the components will have their own warranty from the manufacture.

Speaking of HTPC cases that fits standard sized ATX mobos I see Antec makes a bigger version of the fusion called the "Fusion Remote Max". http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15727# I'm assuming it is new as I dont see any reviews yet and its not even available on Newegg or most other online vendors for that matter. I see a vendor in Australia selling it and its OOS there. :) Think I'll wait and see what the story is on that case before I buy anything.

Woo,

Since you're in the market for one of these I'll post this deal:

http://www.frys.com/product/5356188

Antec NSK 2480 $80 AR. Micro ATX but pretty spacious.