LCVG
dogbert

Time To Build A New PC

That will be a nice machine Mars :) You shouldn't have an issue with that case and dual vid cards specifically as long as the mb "slots" correctly in it (some Antec cases and PSU's are bottom mounted instead of top mounted so watch for that). Obviously cooling may be an issue too... As far as Vista 64bit and the games you mentioned I didn't see anything online about them that was current so you should be o.k. and any new "Games For Windows" title is supposed to support 64bit editions natively but, YMMV on that.

1000W PSU should be adequate for the components you listed but make sure its a good PSU and I'd watch for one that has an output that is actually 1000W and not "up to" or any marketing crap like that. And the C2Q is a great all purpose CPU for gaming and encoding. You probably won't have many game titles that will multithread to all 4 cores for now but more games will start supporting more than 2 threads soon and most encoders will these days so you'll definitely benefit from that :)

You shouldn't have an issue with that case and dual vid cards specifically as long as the mb "slots" correctly in it (some Antec cases and PSU's are bottom mounted instead of top mounted so watch for that).

Yeah, that Antec P182 does have a bottom mounted power supply bay. Do you think that will be a problem? That would be too bad, as I really like the simplicity of that case's exterior design. I'd honestly just go for a full tower case, unfortunately it wouldn't fit in my computer desk.

Woo' date='

Since you're in the market for one of these I'll post this deal:

http://www.frys.com/product/5356188

Antec NSK 2480 $80 AR. Micro ATX but pretty spacious. [/quote']

Nice deal. Thanks Monkey but I think I'm going to wait for the new Antec "Fusion Remote Max" to become available. According to Antec support it should be available in the "next month or two" (no exact release date yet). I'm hoping a review will showup online shortly. I'm expecting the price to be just shy of $200. More than I thought I'd spend on a case but the more I thought about it the more I started leaning towards getting something that will allow me to expand down the road. I'm not in a big hurry to get this thing built so I guess I can wait a little longer. Although it does seem a little silly to be waiting on a case. :)

I was wondering what the "LCVG" build standard was scoring on the 3dmark06 test. I am trying to gauge where I will fall in the Warhammer mix and if it might help me decide if I should just upgrade altogether.

As far as that case and a bottom-mounted PSU mars... I use a very similiar one and have no problems with it. I just had to spend a little more money to get a better PSU with longer leads and better heat management (no top exhaust fan). Its not a bad trade off overall though - and you'll likely spend a fair amount on the PSU anyway to get a good 1000W'er so just make sure it will work for that case and make sure it has nice long leads.

Well, the final piece of the puzzle is in place. I bought a Visiontek 4850HD graphics card at the weekend to replace the temporary one I borrowed from a friend. Finally, I can run Warhammer at more than single digit frames per second and I can enable particle effects! It's all been worth it! :)

I was flip-flopping between the 4850 & a 9800GTX because of price & the fact I've always had good luck with ATI. There just isn't enough between them in my book.

Seriously, guys, thanks for all the help. At this point, the only thing left to do is overclock my E7200 at some point to boost my CPU score a little, but that'll have to wait for me having a day to myself with no kids to interfere (it's penciled in my diary for 18 years or so). Rig is running really smoothly, really fast, and I'm super-happy with it.

With all the talk of new rigs here on the forums, I'm looking to throw my hat in the PC-building arena. Quick question: is there any disadvantage to buying the OEM "System Builder" of Windows for the new computer? It's a ton cheaper than a retail copy.

With all the talk of new rigs here on the forums, I'm looking to throw my hat in the PC-building arena. Quick question: is there any disadvantage to buying the OEM "System Builder" of Windows for the new computer? It's a ton cheaper than a retail copy.

Technically an OEM copy isn't transferrable - it's a one computer forever copy. Although I've heard of people getting Microsoft to transfer to a new computer, YMMV on it.

A retail copy can be transferred if you call up Microsoft.

Like you mentioned you can transfer a copy if you call up MS. I bought a OEM copy for my new Imac in January for dual booting. The Imac died , and had to be replaced. Called them up and they gave me a new serial code to put in

Ok, so my personally refurb'ed machine lasted about six months, and now it's as dead as Hannibal. I'm afraid I have neither the patience nor the inclination to try building something again, and funds are low, as always. I've given up on Dell for pre-builts. Is there such a thing as a half-way decent off-the-shelf solution for $500-600 anymore? Gateway? One of the pre-builts on NewEgg? Costco?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

The prebuilts on NewEgg are pretty well rated spec-wise and return-wise and some of the Gateway systems are decent in that price range. Depending on your PC needs (gaming) even the Mac Mini might work and is a Very highly regarded prebuilt :)

Thanks, Magness. I am actually desperate enough that I checked out our employee purchase plan site for the Apple Store (Oracle employees get a small discount on Apple products), but I just can't see paying that much for that little. The $751 Mac Mini has a 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo processor, 2GB of RAM and a 320GB HDD, with no possibility for expansion...for $751 I can build a much more robust Windows-based machine.

...which leads me back to parts pricing on NewEgg. My fried PSU is only six months old, so if Antec will replace it for me, and if I reuse the RAM and hard drive from my current machine...hmmm...here I go again.

Ok, I want to be fair to Apple. Obviously there are other things to consider when you think about the value of a computer, not just the raw numbers. I keep getting hung up on glitzy numbers because I want the ability to play PC games, but the fact is I don't play many PC games these days anyway. Most of what my family uses the computer for: bill paying, internet, email, playing and loading music to MP3 players, storing songs/pictures/audiobooks/movies, can easily be done on a Mac mini. Really the biggest limiter is the size of the HDD...320GB is awfully small, especially with no option for increasing down the road.

If I buy an external enclosure for my existing 500GB HDD, can I connect it to a Mac via USB and use it for extra storage/backup? Or do I need a special Apple hard drive?

Jay, help me here, I am weakening...

If I buy an external enclosure for my existing 500GB HDD, can I connect it to a Mac via USB and use it for extra storage/backup? Or do I need a special Apple hard drive?

Yep, you can do this. You might want to reformat the drive for the Mac if the drive is NTFS right now.

Jay, help me here, I am weakening...

I'm very happy with my two year old eMachine. Look at this one from Best Buy for $380:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9170844&type=product&id=1218043606347

I'd imagine that it's more than enough for what you want. I added a PCI Express video card to mine in order to support my DVI-ready monitor. I believe those can be had for $30 on Newegg. The entire operation took about 30 seconds. Really. I didn't even bother with the ATI installation disk -- Vista was happy with what it had.

YMMV. I know which one is the better value for me.

If you like the idea of a little power efficient computer:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=Wind_PC&class=npc

you can get one of the MSI Wind barebones boxes for < $149 and drop a hard drive and an optical drive in it.

The Atom chips do the job pretty well, same as they put in the netbooks.

I've considered getting one and hacking OS X onto it so the wife can get a taste of the OS...ever since getting her ipod touch she's had a hankering for a Macbook...at least that way she could get a taste of the O.S.

Thanks, guys, those are great links. I'm building a component list based on this, but in an effort to revive my existing computer, I brought it to a techie friend and we determined that it was a fried power supply. Now, when my friend gave me this rig, it was DOA with the same symptoms after running for a year. I bought a new PSU (Antec TruPower 550w), threw it in, and it's worked for six months, and now it's dead again. So that is two new power supplies fried in 18 months.

Can anyone think of possible causes for PSU's burning out? Here's what I can think of:

Overheating : This should not be an issue...the case is plenty roomy, sits in the coldest room in the house, and has three case fans in addition to the fans on the CPU and video card. When we looked at it, there was a bit of dust on the CPU fan but nothing major.

Overtaxing : I am running an Athlon 64 FX-60 chip, an Nvidia 7800GT card, a single DVD drive, a single 500GB hard drive, and an assortment of USB devices that are almost never on (two printers, two scanners, and the occasional ipod/camera/phone charge). I should think a 550w power supply can handle that load.

Any other causes? Something in the BIOS I can check? Something on the motherboard?

I am going to try to get a replacement PSU from Antec, but I don't want to be in this same position in another six months...I have to figure out why these PSU's are getting killed in this machine. Thoughts?

That doesn't sound like anything that would overtax your PSU, Dave. I assume you have the PSU plugged into a surge suppressor?

I bought a new PSU (Antec TruPower 550w), threw it in, and it's worked for six months, and now it's dead again. So that is two new power supplies fried in 18 months.

I had a new Antec actually start a little fire. No more Antec for me.

That doesn't sound like anything that would overtax your PSU, Dave. I assume you have the PSU plugged into a surge suppressor?

I do, one of those surge suppressing power strips. Nothing fancy but it has a breaker in it.

Were both PSUs Antecs? As I commented before on here, I had two Antecs die...one at about 6months (430w TruPower) and a 350w one after about a year.

That mixed with the reports at the time of high failure rates made me start buying other brands.

I'd just try a new PSU. A non-Antec. IMO. My geek friends love the Corsair units these days.