LCVG
dogbert

Time To Build A New PC

Nvidia just released the 980ti for $650. $350 less with most of the performance of the Titan X.

I'm just waiting for the auto notification to come in from newegg and I'll be ordering one.

Anyone interested in a 780 on the cheap? :)

It's a nice looking card. Timing isn't right for me or I'd upgrade to one myself. I'll just have to let my own 780 mature for another year.

Nvidia just released the 980ti for $650. $350 less with most of the performance of the Titan X.

I'm just waiting for the auto notification to come in from newegg and I'll be ordering one.

Anyone interested in a 780 on the cheap? :)

Im eyeballing that 980ti as well. Will probably pick it up in the next couple of months.

-Dean-

Ordered. I usually buy EVGA but the ASUS version came in stock at newegg. It's being packaged up as we speak. I should have it by the weekend. I get a free copy of Batman Arkham Asylum with it, too.

Anandtech's review by the way:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/18

Final Words

Bringing this video card review to a close, through the last 14 pages of benchmarks we have seen the same result time and time again. While on paper the GeForce GTX 980 Ti should trail the GeForce GTX Titan X by several percent, what we get in the real world is much, much closer. With an average performance deficit of just 3%, GeForce GTX 980 Ti is for all intents and purposes GTX Titan X with a different name.

Typically NVIDIA engineers a wider gap between their cards, and while there is plenty of room for speculation here as to why they’d let GTX 980 Ti get so close to GTX Titan X – and make no mistake, it is intentional – at the end of the day none of that changes the final result. With a launch price of $649, the GTX 980 Ti may as well be an unofficial price cut to GTX Titan X, delivering flagship GeForce performance for 35% less.

I'm still going strong with my i5 2500k at 4.5ghz. Honestly one of the best investments I've made. Sandy Bridge is a damned beast.

No issues with my i5 3570K after two years. Thats why I have no issues with the investment in that card. Hell, the 680 you sold me is still pretty damn good. :)

-Dean-

Indeed. Kepler is getting long in the tooth though. Especially in terms of tessellation performance, etc. The new Maxwell cards are killing Kepler in that regard though Nvidia swears they are working on a fix. With DX12 right down the pike though, it's a good time to upgrade and move on from my 780 and get full DX12 support. I've already got it sold to a buddy at work for $150 so the 980ti is basically costing me $500.

I'll be getting another SSD to replace my primary.  It's only 64, but I'm thinking 256 for my next one.  Any thoughts?  I have a Crucial at the moment.

I've already got it sold to a buddy at work for $150 so the 980ti is basically costing me $500.

Props to you for convincing your wife that's how math works.

Curious to hear your impressions, though I'm sure that card is going to melt face.  This monster, specifically its price, looks like it has a good chance of killing AMD's Maxwell answer before AMD even announces.

I got the email from EVGA saying the product was in stock, immediately went to order it and they were already gone.  So it's gonna be like that...

I'm gonna have to go with the nuclear option.  I'm in crisis mode with my primary hard drive now (down to only 300-400 Mb left).  Even with disc cleaning and CCleaner, stupid Windows updates keep eating away at my HD.  My current setup is SSD primary with 64 GB as C drive and a 1TB HDD as D.  Looks like I'm going to have to flip those two.

You've filled a 64GB drive with windows updates?  Have you tried running cleanmgr as admin to try to do an update cleanup?  There are some that it should be able to delete. 

If you can hold out for a few weeks, you can just install RTM windows 10 on it, or just install the latest preview build and upgrade that to the final release once it's out. 

I'm gonna have to go with the nuclear option.  I'm in crisis mode with my primary hard drive now (down to only 300-400 Mb left).  Even with disc cleaning and CCleaner, stupid Windows updates keep eating away at my HD.  My current setup is SSD primary with 64 GB as C drive and a 1TB HDD as D.  Looks like I'm going to have to flip those two.

You've already moved as much as you can of your profile off the drive, right?

I can't seem to find the $ntuninstall files, and I've moved 3 GB off my hard drive.... only my computer to eat that space back up for some reason.  I'm going nuclear.  I'll see you guys in a bit.

Been a long time since I've done a build. Here's my latest,...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN_HAZIj20WcL8oYmyIRjc3kkGXnfrvRerKUHSUVox6c80c5tHHVFdXXeoQUEAZxw/photo/AF1QipNp10y3Mx_8eimizTrZ7WPNZ6StKBymt7i9f3ru?key=ZmFaSEV3MUVVcUpfS2ZWOFdWUGtDZC15V0lTOWxR

I picked up a monitor (Dell 34" UltraSharp Curved WQHD IPS Monitor, 3440 x 1440 #U3415) on a recent deal as well, so I think I should be set for video editing and gaming.

I'd welcome feedback, as I've pieced this together on my own. Did I miss anything?

One edit, I actually got the One Million OC edition of the 970. That linked list still had the LE which I had initially configured. I swapped last minute.

Future updates I might make, if prices hit a sweet spot, a second card for SLI, and two additional dimms.

Was that a liquid cooling unit for the CPU?  I didn't see any other liquid cooling stuf in there...  Other than that, looks like a good build-going with just the one SSD?  If you're looking to do video, is 500 GB enough? 

You should also be OK with 16GB of memory, but if it's cheap enough, 32 is nice to have for some specific use cases.  I have 32 on my dev laptop, and it means that I can run a bunch of VMs, or just never have to close anything to free up memory :)

Yeah, that's a liquid cooling unit Chris. It's a all-in-one closed unit specially for the cpu. No other liquid materials to deal with. Pretty cool stuff!

https://youtu.be/g8frELMe7Xk

I do have extra drives for storage that I am able to carry over for the video work.

And, I have already set up price alerts on the memory. It was expensive enough to get to this base setup, so I figured I could try to save a few bucks by being patient on the extra dimms and the extra card for SLI.

Also, if anyone makes price mistake on a 950 pro when it's released, I'll be all over that. :) That drive looks sweet!

Neat-I didn't know those types of things existed-it's a good idea.  I've just got stock fans on all of the machines I've built recently, but then again, none of them have really had many issues with heat. 

That monitor looks amazing.

Let us know how you like the system.  Apart from the already mentioned memory, everything looks ready to rock for years to come.

"One life's great pleasures is a PC with that new car smell." - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the gentle nudging on the memory. Next time please just hit me with a mallet. I reexamined my build and realized I was so focused on the other pieces that I punted on the memory. I exchanged for two 16gb dimms, with an eye on landing at 64gb at some point. Thanks again!

Thanks for the gentle nudging on the memory. Next time please just hit me with a mallet. I reexamined my build and realized I was so focused on the other pieces that I punted on the memory. I exchanged for two 16gb dimms, with an eye on landing at 64gb at some point. Thanks again!

Honestly, 64GB of RAM would not be used to it's capacity by anything except editing VERY large images or tons of video.  If you are just gaming and such, it would be a waste.

EDIT:  Oh, based on your other post, you DO edit a lot of video?