LCVG
dogbert

Time To Build A New PC

Yes sir, much video will be crunched! It was a tough choice on the processor side. I could have gone with the low 6 core Haswell, but I decided to go with the best Skylake I could get. I like the build, so I'm comfortable with the decision. But most certainly I'll be maxing the ram for the editing side of things.

I still have my tower for gaming, but with my iMac being 8 years old I thought it was time for something new, Macs now are even more overpriced for what's inside, so I just ordered a new Lenovo Y700 laptop , which is actually more powerful then my gaming machine is.

Holy crap Jtello, that's a beast of a machine.

Joey I just got my wife the yoga 900 should get it next week. I bought one from bestbuy a couple of weeks ago but returned it after I could get a good $200 discount with a combination of fat wallet and Lenovo website discounts. Plus she got a cool orange color.

Holy crap Jtello, that's a beast of a machine.

Thanks! I'm excited, this is build weekend. I just got the last piece delivered today, the Skylake. Wish me luck!

Got four free games in the process. I'm not even sure of them all. I know I've got Rainbow Six Siege and Counter Strike. That's plenty enough, the rest is extra gravy, whatever they are.

Well, photo management just got a whole lot easier!

http://goo.gl/photos/gd1pJASJuFA39xKC6

Build went well. I haven't slept much over the last 24 hours, I pulled an all-nighter, but no regrets there. My sanity is better preserved at a sleep deficit rather than attempting to build with four little ones bouncing at my feet.

Here are a couple more shots. The case pic sucks, I need to take some real pictures when I get a few minutes. This was the only snap shot I took at any point.

http://goo.gl/photos/bEmWQrgStNdGuZVm7

And a nice family wallpaper to impress mom with the new computer. :)

http://goo.gl/photos/7tYpgyaU96scpbTz7

I'll take some more when I get better lighting, and when I get the inside of the case looking pretty.

• Like 1

Laptop came today, and it's been so long since I got a new computer I forgot just how many programs I need to install , and things to set up again. Going to take some getting used to the trackpad again. I did have to shut the zoom gesture off. What a pain in the ass.

I really enjoy the new laptop, but I forgot how much windows can annoy the hell out of me. I had to fix multiple issues that were driving me nuts, and had to search online for fixes. The num lock numbers were not working at all because of some stupid track pad setting, Itunes would not stop opening at launch because of plex (needed to check one box in itunes advance settings to fix it) and a few other small things. Think I have it working as I like it now, Can't wait until I have some time to try some games on this, 

Ordered a 970 today. Will be here Friday. Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3 under-performing on PS4 were the deal clincher for me.

Been absolutely rock solid for me the past few months.

Ordered a 970 today. Will be here Friday. Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3 under-performing on PS4 were the deal clincher for me.

-Dean-

Great card for the money.

-Dean-

Which 970 brand/version? Just curious.

I'm loving the customizable settings of my card, and of my build overall. Between the fantastic & easy Asus bios tweaking and the super-accessible software controls of the motherboard and the graphics card, it's an overclockers paradise. I've only gone so far as letting the bios suggest modest overclock settings at this point, and I figure as I get more comfortable I'll get more hands on. I have certainly utilized the board and card controls, keeping things powerful and cool when I've been heavy lifting, mostly in editing but also with a small bit of gaming squeezed in.

I picked up the EVGA Fallout 4 model (04G-P4-3979-KF).

-Dean-

Bit off topic, but I just watched this video  and found it interesting. The mention that EVGA has no less than 10 models of the 980 gave me a laugh. Kind of insane. Mind numbing when you are trying to decide, especially when you weigh that against all of the other offering from other manufacturers.

I have a Mac Pro case and will be building a PC in the new year.  I know it's a custom motherboard design and the mounting holes won't line up with anything on the market.  But I wonder if any of you have seen kits to convert these cases for use with PC builds? It's an absolutely fantastic case and still very good looking and I'd hate to just toss it out.

I have a Mac Pro case and will be building a PC in the new year.  I know it's a custom motherboard design and the mounting holes won't line up with anything on the market.  But I wonder if any of you have seen kits to convert these cases for use with PC builds? It's an absolutely fantastic case and still very good looking and I'd hate to just toss it out.

Google says it takes a fair bit of hacking & dremeling.

It's been a good 10-12 years since I've built a PC.  I'm open to any suggestions.

This will primarily be a Photoshop/Lightroom PC.  I have no intention of playing games but I've read the GeForce 970 performs quite well in Photoshop.  I wanted to go with a Skylake CPU for multitasking and the throughput you gain in the LGA 1151 chipset.  I'm not necessarily married to this particular motherboard (shopping motherboards is HARD!) or the case.  

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 8M  ($339.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING  ($175.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) TridentZ Series  ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 VCGGTX9704R2XPB  ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 210-GQ-0650-V1  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage #2: Western Digital 1TB Blue WD10EZEX  ($51.66 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R  ($65.5 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2  ($29.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $1,382.82
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

If you really aren't playing games, from what I've skimmed, you'd get better performance for your tasks going with the slightly older higher core chips. They perform better for that type of work. Skylake is a good option for a balance of gaming and work. I'd look into that. Sorry, I'm not more specific, I'm out and about shopping right this sec.

• Like 1

It's been a good 10-12 years since I've built a PC.  I'm open to any suggestions.

This will primarily be a Photoshop/Lightroom PC.  I have no intention of playing games but I've read the GeForce 970 performs quite well in Photoshop.  I wanted to go with a Skylake CPU for multitasking and the throughput you gain in the LGA 1151 chipset.  I'm not necessarily married to this particular motherboard (shopping motherboards is HARD!) or the case.  

PC Hound Part List - i7 6700 System

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 8M  ($339.99 @ B&H)

Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING  ($175.97 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) TridentZ Series  ($209.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 VCGGTX9704R2XPB  ($289.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 650W 210-GQ-0650-V1  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM  ($149.99 @ Amazon)

Storage #2: Western Digital 1TB Blue WD10EZEX  ($51.66 @ NCIX)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R  ($65.5 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2  ($29.74 @ Amazon)

Total: $1,382.82

Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax

Generated by PC Hound

You'd be silly not to game on that.:) It will run just most of the games releasing better than the consoles available....easily,

• Like 1

Any reason you're going with the non K version of the processor?  It's a 30-40 dollars savings.  I'm looking at the k version myself.

You'd be silly not to game on that. :) It will run just most of the games releasing better than the consoles available....easily,

For reals.  Paired with my PS4 controller, I'm very rarely using my consoles these days.  Really only for a few exclusives and PS+ freebie content.

You'd be silly not to game on that. :) It will run just most of the games releasing better than the consoles available....easily, 

I don't game on consoles either so this shouldn't be much of a surprise.  That said, if HL3 ever hits I'll change my tune. ;)

Any reason you're going with the non K version of the processor?  It's a 30-40 dollars savings.  I'm looking at the k version myself.

Just cutting cost corners everywhere I can.  I doubt the extra 600 mhz has much of a real-world difference.  That said, I still may go for the K version.  

I think the biggest miss in my current set up is the lack of an M.2 drive.  The speed of M.2 drives on the 1151 mobos sound insane so this is a great place to put the OS and PS/Lightroom. Even vs. the SSD.  The current costs of a 512GB M.2 drive (Samsung 950 Pro) is just over double the Samsung 850 SSD.