LCVG
dogbert

Time To Build A New PC

One question:

I'm not planning on adding an optical drive.  That means I need to get the USB version of Windows 10.  That's a $120 add.  I'm curious if there are ways to get that cheaper?  Like legal ways. 

I don't game on consoles either so this shouldn't be much of a surprise.  That said, if HL3 ever hits I'll change my tune. ;)

Just cutting cost corners everywhere I can.  I doubt the extra 600 mhz has much of a real-world difference.  That said, I still may go for the K version.  

I think the biggest miss in my current set up is the lack of an M.2 drive.  The speed of M.2 drives on the 1151 mobos sound insane so this is a great place to put the OS and PS/Lightroom. Even vs. the SSD.  The current costs of a 512GB M.2 drive (Samsung 950 Pro) is just over double the Samsung 850 SSD.

The K version is only one that's overclockable, no? It's worth getting if that's the case. Well worth it.

The K version is only one that's overclockable, no? It's worth getting if that's the case. Well worth it. 

I believe that is correct.

But I'm not gaming and even in my gaming days I found OCing yielded very minor benefits. It's fun to do but I'm not interested in that this go around.

I don't game on consoles either so this shouldn't be much of a surprise. That said, if HL3 ever hits I'll change my tune. ;)

Just cutting cost corners everywhere I can. I doubt the extra 600 mhz has much of a real-world difference. That said, I still may go for the K version.

I think the biggest miss in my current set up is the lack of an M.2 drive. The speed of M.2 drives on the 1151 mobos sound insane so this is a great place to put the OS and PS/Lightroom. Even vs. the SSD. The current costs of a 512GB M.2 drive (Samsung 950 Pro) is just over double the Samsung 850 SSD.

Even looking past gaming, it makes little sense not to go with the K version and give yourself that flexibility. It's stupidly easy to OC these chips these days and if your using a CPU intensive application - it's well worth having the option.

Camp, 

And that mobo will make OCing especially easy peasy.  You'll see dividends with Lightroom and PS renders, as well, not just gaming (more so there than with gaming, in fact).  Lightroom likes to chug when the library matures and PS can be as intensive a CPU app as there is this side of 3D and video creation.

61kdor9ymuL._UX385_.jpg

Even without the OC part that's an awesome build that's probably going to give you another 10.  Looking forward to your impressions.

One question:

I'm not planning on adding an optical drive.  That means I need to get the USB version of Windows 10.  That's a $120 add.  I'm curious if there are ways to get that cheaper?  Like legal ways. 

Microsoft have their own legal tools for making a Windows 10 boot USB, should you have a cheaper way to get the licence.key itself and another Windows machine to make it on:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Back to my point yesterday, just went looking into the core i7 or Xeon question. Nothing overly definitive, certainly nothing to make you change course at this point, but still thought this was an interesting read,...

https://www.pugetsys...vs-Core-i7-634/ 

I'd love to go Xenon.  I'm coming from a dual Xenon CPU system so I have experience with the benefits.  As a cost to performance ratio the i7 seems like the best bet.  I'm very likely going with the K version now thanks to influence here. Should begin ordering stuff within the next couple weeks. 

Any recommendation in best bang for your buck monitors?  

Whatever flavor of Korean IPS 1440p is getting blown out atm.  Check eBay for Qnix, Crossover, and Wasabi-Mango offerings.  If you're looking for a monitor to do image editing on, there's probably no better way to spend a dollar.  And, if you're up for a little research, you can find out which of the current models overclock for gaming (in the past, Yamakasis, for instance, can get to 100hz, which isn't bad for a true production quality IPS panel) in case you want to get impractical.

Interesting. I never would have discovered those on my own.  Thank you.  I didn't even know monitors were overclockable.

Yeah, there are some really compelling options there.  AFAIK Yamakasi became Wasabi-Mango, or was it Crossover(?), but the designs are still based on b-stock LG panels.  Apple, for instance, puts the a-stock panels into their Cinema monitors, but all the panels that don't make Apple's, among others, very high tolerance demands become b-stock panels and get sold very cheaply to these Korean companies who throw a power supply on them and sell them for crazy cheap.  The end result is that you'll have a panel with exceptional pixel performance, and, if you buy a "Pixel Perfect" model, odds are you will not be able to tell why it failed Apple's test.

Something like this: Perfect Pixel Wasabi-Mango QHD275 or this Perfect Pixel Crossover 27QHD

There are other deals out there, so you checking around would be a good idea, but are already winners.

The Crossover is a nice panel. It doesn't do Pulse Width Modulation which can cause flickering and headaches and I've heard some bad things about the Wasabi units actually having dead pixel issues (despite the perfect pixel claim). The Crossover can be had for a a good price, too.

Keep in mind most of these panels lacks HDMI inputs (the Wasabit does). DVI or bust for the Crossover which isn't really a big deal for me but worth considering.

The parts have been ordered.  Now I just need to wait and hope the build goes smoothly and no RMAs are required.  The final parts list changed up a bit after I was getting way too nerdy about comparison shopping.  I finally just had to say, "fuck it" and order the damn stuff.

I didn't necessarily buy from the places listed on this PC Hound list.  I found I had to double-check the pricing from PC Hound & PC Part Picker. In the end, everything was ordered from Amazon and New Egg except for the CPU (from SuperBiiz.com).

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M  ($362.07 @ B&H)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)  ($208.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) TridentZ Series  ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR  ($309.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W SuperNOVA 220-P2-0650-X1  ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage #2: Seagate 3TB Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001  ($87.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  ($88.64 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech MX Master  ($74.59 @ Amazon)
Monitor: ASUS PB Series PB278Q  ($375.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2,157.17
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

Obviously, I took everyone's advice on the 6700K and even added a with a cooler with overclocking in mind.  The motherboard changed (mainly for the audio) and I upgraded to a high quality PSU because most of my issues in past builds originated with cheap PSUs.

Oh, and, the monitor...I was deep into research on the incredible value offered by the Korean brands (which models, overclocking, even modifying the glossy bezels).  Ultimately, I had to pull myself out of that addictive tech haze and get back to living. I had to remind myself it's just a tool and not my life.  Anyway, the Asus monitor looks to be a winner for my needs. 

Cool, this is comparable to my recent build (posted back in this thread). It would be fun to do some head-to-head benchmarks when you are up and running. Just for shits & giggles. GL building your rig!

• Like 1

I just learned I'm probably going to be living in a hotel for the next couple months (toilet overflow = $50k in house damage) so this build is probably going to get delayed a bit.  Bummer that it will all be in boxes for so long.

I just learned I'm probably going to be living in a hotel for the next couple months (toilet overflow = $50k in house damage) so this build is probably going to get delayed a bit. Bummer that it will all be in boxes for so long.

Holy,... cow!

Sorry to hear that Camp. Hope things go well for you through this. Damn, can't even imagine.

I appreciate that, guys.  Ultimately, it is what it is...I guess one benefit is we will be getting a nice home remodel.  

I'm going to try to do the build anyway. My only real worry is potentially having to move the system during the remodel.  With a 3 lb CPU cooler hanging off the motherboard it's probably not a system that wants to be moved around much.

Cool, this is comparable to my recent build (posted back in this thread). It would be fun to do some head-to-head benchmarks when you are up and running. Just for shits & giggles. GL building your rig! 

Wow. I just went through the thread to see your system. It is amazing how similar they are.  Same CPU, SSD, and roughly equivalent (though different brands) in the mobo, video card & PSU.   

That monitor you have is stunning!  It must be fantastic for multitasking.

Looks like we both chose the Logitech MX Master mouse.  I must admit I purchased it without every seeing one in person. How do you like it?  I'm planning on using my old Mac Pro keyboard as I'm a fan of the chicklet style but I may upgrade that at some point.

Condolences on the home.  But that does bring opportunities for home improvement that's for sure.

I'm generally in the other thread about to do an upgrade myself.  I have the following three builds.

The Sensible Upgrade

GTX 970

Pros: cheapest one for better 1080p gaming

Con: not very future proof

Somewhat Future Proof Upgrade

X99 Motherboard with new processor

980 TI

water cooling all components

Pros: much higher options for 1080p gaming

Con: will be better for another 3 years

4k Gaming

Skylake Processor and Z170 MB