LCVG

Relocating? Goin back to Cali?

Bruce B

So to make a very long story short, living in Massachusetts every year I begin to dread the onset of winter. I hate the cold, I hate the snow and as I get older, it gets worse. It is annoying and also effects your mood when its cold and grey.

The topper was my brother dying unexpectedly in July. I am the only one left in my family now, as my parents have both passed.

After my brother died, relatives in San Diego contacted me and asked me to come out for a visit and trying to get me to relocate there.

I am taking a short trip next week to visit(never been to Cali other than for a short layover on way to Hawaii).

They own a very successful business and have offered me a job there as staff accountant(thats all they have open, and doesnt pay nearly enough) with the hope of climbing the ladder. Not really sure I would want to work for a relative so am open to other opportunities.

I realize that the cost of living is a bit much out there but I would be able to turn a nice profit on my home if I were to sell it here.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is any input on the San Diego area and if you think a boy who grew up in the sticks would be able to adapt to that environment?

I wouldn't have to be a Padre's fan would I?

This is my relatives business that my cousin is the CEO of.

http://www.nnj.com/

I'm not sure. I'm in Houston. San Ramon is where our corporate hq is. I fly into Oakland when I go there, but it's not far from San Fransisco.

I would imagine the cost of living is pretty high there though. Probably not much worse than MA, though. I'm sure they got websites to give you a better idea.

here's the hit I got on external jobs for accounting:

https://www.chevron.apply2jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=10968&CurrentPage=1

There were more hits in the internal search, but I don't know if they'll accept external applicants. I can find out if your interest in the area rises. Let me know.

Carlos.

I can fully understand your reasons wanting to relocate (I would do it for skiing!) but why would you want to combine a pay cut with working for family? A good accountant (Chartered Accountant perhaps) is always in demand, across all industries. Talk to a head hunter if you are senior enough, otherwise hit up your financial association for prospects. I have never heard of a good accountant being unemployed, unless by choice.

but why would you want to combine a pay cut with working for family?

The only way I would is if there were a solid promise up moving up in ranks quickly. I have been in Accounting Management for 15 years now and have no intention on taking a huge step back wards unless it meant shortly thereafter a large step forward.

Thank you Carlos for the info.

Possibility. I guess I have to get a wiff of the state first.

Is the cost of living lower around there?

Probably not, San Ramon is a fairly well-to-do suburban area. I grew up about 20 minutes from there and in 20 years it's gone from a village nestled below beautiful rolling hills to another cookie-cutter city filling in much of the open space. It's still a reasonably nice area, but it has very little charm or character IMO. And yes, it's about 35 minutes from SF, and has much sunnier, warmer weather.

My Parents live in the San Ramon area, and it is a very nice area of the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay). and I live in the San Diego Area.

Both areas are very nice, but both can be quite expensive. You might be able to get a decent deal on a home now, with all the foreclosures and whatnot in the area.

As for sports fandom-- don't worry about it... people here are very laid-back, bandwagoney type sports fans in san diego (It's nothing like East Coast sports fans)... I'd guess by now most San Diegans have forgotten that there's even a baseball team in town. :)

If you have any questions, I can try and answer them for you...

--kyle

Well, I grew up in San Diego and lived there for 30 years until I moved up to Washington less than a year ago. I am not sure what the cost of living is like where you are moving from but you seem to already to be prepared for the shock associated with the differences.

Culture wise, I would say you won't have any problem there. I may be biased but San Diego isn't like LA, New York, and San Francisco which have a very definite culture (good or bad) and can easily make people feel like outsiders. I don't get that vibe in San Diego.

If you are used to the outdoors (hiking, hunting, etc) then you will have to adjust to seeing the outdoors as being the beach or the park. As in any big city, there just isn't any vast outdoors areas unless you want to travel outside the city a bit.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions/concerns.

If you are used to the outdoors (hiking, hunting, etc) then you will have to adjust to seeing the outdoors as being the beach or the park. As in any big city, there just isn't any vast outdoors areas unless you want to travel outside the city a bit.

Actually, San Diego has some of the best trails and national parks (I used to live there and was an avid mountain biker). Just Google Mission Trail, Los Penasquitos, Florida Canyon, Cleveland National Forest. In my opinion, some of the best trails in the US.

I've spent some time in SD and really enjoyed it. From what I remember there was no smog, great temps, and beautiful beaches. I lived in a dorm at the time and had absolutely no money, so I really can't comment on the cost of living.

Having said that I've seen pictures of your place - I think you were happy about a driveway being finished - and I thought it looked beautiful. Very east coast green and spacious. I don't think you'll get that out here.

Having said that I've seen pictures of your place - I think you were happy about a driveway being finished - and I thought it looked beautiful. Very east coast green and spacious. I don't think you'll get that out here.

Here is a pic of my current place. Green and spacious? YES

One problem. About 5 months of the year its covered in snow!

IMG_2588.jpg

(no humidity though)

That's huge. Humidity is what gets me, not so much the heat. I live right on the Rhode Island shoreline, so humidity is a way of life. Sure there are plenty of beautiful dry days, but almost every day begins humid, with everything soaked in morning dew.

I can see Long Island from the shore, it's a short boat ride from here.

Fun fact, we actually live closer to Long Island than to Providence. :)

Of course if I'm messing with someone's head, I'll tell them I live closer to New York than Providence, that always gets a curious look from them.

And to really screw them up, I'll mention that we also live in Rhode Island but under Connecticut. (thier face ---> :eh ) :lol

Can we change this thread title to, fun with geography?

So had a great trip to San Diego.

The downside for me:

1. Houses too close together

2. Traffic

3. No grass

Upside:

1. Endless things to do

2. You know what the weather is going to be pretty much every day

3. People seem so much friendlier than on this coast. Even friggin cops were nice.

4. Healthier environment. Better healthier food choices, a lot of varieties of exercise

My family is networking for me for opportunities. I have a figure in my head as far as salary that would make me move out there. I do not want to give up my home in Massachusetts so I would probably rent it and it should more than cover the mortgage.

Heres a pic:

IMG_2669.jpg