LCVG

Comcast has Bandwidth cap starting Oct 1st (250GB)

JoeyN

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have Comcast, but it annoys me on principle.

As a Comcast customer it's pissy to cap bandwidth but at the same time - I come nowhere near 250GB on a monthly basis so I doubt it will ever affect me.

Ahhh, so they've got you! They get you to accept the cap without protest, and then they start manipulating the cap and fees a bit further down the line. Or as the natural growth of your internet usage increases, you'll begin to feel squeeze by the 250GB limit. As the transition to more and greater downloadable games and high def movies becomes more of the norm, that 250GB won't seem so generous.

What do you think Comcast will do as internet traffic continues it's natural growth and they increase their infrastructure? Raise the cap? Yeah, right, don't think so.

Also, I found this quote from that article interesting,...

Free Press called the caps "relatively high," but said they were also an indictment of current US broadband policy. "If the United States had genuine broadband competition, Internet providers would not be able to profit from artificial scarcity‚ they would invest in their networks to keep pace with consumer demand," said Free Press research director S. Derek Turner. "Unfortunately, Americans will continue to face the consequences of this lack of competition until policymakers get serious about policies that deliver the world-class networks consumers deserve."

What do you think Comcast will do as internet traffic continues it's natural growth and they increase their infrastructure? Raise the cap? Yeah, right, don't think so.
As harddrive space got cheaper and people's needs for greater capacity got greater, google, MSN, and Yahoo all increased their caps on email storage. You have to stay competitive. With wireless technology, DSL, FIOS, and whatever else is on its way, services will meet the needs of customers or they'll lose the customers to the competition which will gladly embrace those customers with open arms.

I'd cancel on principle and move to someone else.

Then again, if Charter did it to me, I'd be screwed. As Jtello quoted, I'm relatively rural (12 miles from town) and I have no other options.

Speednet offers wireless here but I'd have to put up a like 50 ft tower to put their dish on top of to clear the trees.

Not much in the way of competition here.

Apparently Keith has never been witness to the cable companies lack of willingness to adapt until the clock strikes midnight. And even then, the responses are dated and they continue to nickel and dime, all as they rave about their 'industry leading great new value added service.'

:barf

Yeah that's right Keith, go ahead, I want to see you defend cable companies, their shitty practices and shitty histories. ............ With a straight face!

I currently use Comcast and am planning on canceling them for not only internet but cable TV as well as soon as I find a suitable replacement. I don't know if I ever get near 250 GB or not or even if I exceed it, but I'll be looking elsewhere on principal alone.

When I lived in Aurora, CO we used Comcast and this would have pissed me off too although like Romier, I would not have been likely to hit the cap anytime soon... The problem I feel is dependant on location. In some places you have plenty of choice so they have to remain competitive but in other areas - and not just rural - they don't. In Aurora there, options for broadband were Comcast (Cable) or Qwest (DSL) and the max speed available on DSL at that address as of December 2007 was 512Kbps/4Mbps. Comcast was a little better at 1Mbps/6Mbps. Point being that neither service could hope to compete at those speeds with FIOS or other services available elsewhere in Colorado but they aren't competeing (or competitive on prices) because nothing else was available there. And Aurora isn't a remote town - its a suburb of Denver and a fairly large one at that. I don't know about affluence or whatever else may determine if they'll offer better service or deploy new network infrastructure but, there are several Comcast centers (TV and Internet) there in Aurora and they still haven't seen any reason to upgrade it for years now.

So, my feeling is that if your area doesn't have reasonable competition then I don't think you'll see any upgrades, only restrictions and caps like this one. None of the ISP's seem to actively update or even try to retain their customers until they are forced to do so to compete for your business.

I am pretty sure I would come close to the cap if it happened here. I do not see TW doing it in NYC as Fios just came, and everyone would jump to them in a heart beat. With all the game downloads, video casts, podcasts, video streaming and online gaming it has to come close to 250gig

Nothing I said defended anyone. I only said it is alarmist to say the sky is falling because in the end, competition will keep things reasonable. I hate the cable companies and their prices. But FIOS is coming to town. And long range wireless services will be available in a couple years. The world will not come to an end.

I am pretty sure I would come close to the cap if it happened here. I do not see TW doing it in NYC as Fios just came, and everyone would jump to them in a heart beat. With all the game downloads, video casts, podcasts, video streaming and online gaming it has to come close to 250gig

TW may be doing something much more strict.

But since the other option for wired broadband in the village is Time Warner Cable Inc., switching providers isn't necessarily going to get Distaffen away from a bandwidth cap. The cable company is trying out a 5-gigabyte traffic cap for new users in Beaumont, Texas. Every gigabyte above that costs $1. More expensive plans have higher caps ? at $54.90 per month, the allowance is 40 gigabytes. Depending on the results of the trial, Time Warner Cable may apply the same pricing structure elsewhere.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080822/ap_on_hi_te/tec_internet_caps_2

I have Comcast, but this won't effect me at all, that's a huge limit that most people would never hit. I just hope I actually see some benefit from the few that get capped...

I have WideOpenWest and ATT U-verse in my area, they are both offering me deals every day in the mail. I actually had a install date for U-Verse but held off due to some issues I've been reading about. I'm still waiting to see how they turn out in my area, my neighbor got it last month, so I'll see his.

T.

TW may be doing something much more strict.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080822/ap_on_hi_te/tec_internet_caps_2

Yeah, TW is dropping the hammer, too. I made sure to lock in my current plan for the next 18 months, so I won't have to worry about it for awhile, but it could get ugly, since I download most of my television shows to watch on the laptop at work. HD-quality shows clock in at about 1GB each, so it adds up in a hurry...

The g/f has U-Verse and she is going back to Comcast next week. Their Internet blows and the quality of their HD is terrible.

As Comcast customer I am not concerned about the cap right now. 250GB is a lot and like Romier, I do not come close to it. In the future, I may have an issue, but currently I do not. 250GB is very good for a cap based system.

-Dean-

Ahhh, so they've got you! They get you to accept the cap without protest, and then they start manipulating the cap and fees a bit further down the line. Or as the natural growth of your internet usage increases, you'll begin to feel squeeze by the 250GB limit. As the transition to more and greater downloadable games and high def movies becomes more of the norm, that 250GB won't seem so generous.

All good poins that are, at the moment, null and void to me as I live in an area where are there are almost no real choices for quality internet providers. So no offense Joel but spare me the crusading consumer routine bud:). I'm well aware of how the system works (having worked for 4 different internet providers over the last 10 years). Even with a cap I'll take Comcast over the piece of shit service and speeds that Verizon DSL offers and there are simply no other cable providers here that can be depended on. It sucks, but its my reality right now. One that I hope FIOS changes in the coming year.

I, like you, can be wonderfully indignant and I could piss and moan about this - but in the end future internet growth and the issues you mention will need to be taken on a day by day basis and decisions as to where my money goes will change as I see how things pan out in the years to come.

I actually had a install date for U-Verse but held off due to some issues I've been reading about. I'm still waiting to see how they turn out in my area, my neighbor got it last month, so I'll see his.

They only have a 1 tuner HD DVR. Their multituner setup is only for SD. That was a deal breaker not to mention the quality.

When one company goes(Comcast), the competition will either match it or use it as a selling tool to move you to their new service.

I really doubt anyone but someone doing something illegal will ever break 250gig a month.

I think its just different for different people - bandwidth usage I mean. Someone with an "active" Apple TV account and an HDTV could hit that cap in a month I'd guess but certainly not the average user. I myself would have hit about half of that cap this month but, just because of all the work traffic from my house in the past month (not normal), HD video calls (my job, 4Mbps multipoints) and a bunch of game downloads after a new PC install of Steam and that damn Warhammer client download (lost power while finishing the download so had to restart the whole stupid thing - thx fileplanet)

I work every night from home on VPN, 4 days a week, from about 6 or 7pm to 1am. It's not a lot of huge files - since I do VMS, it's telnet sessions and the like - but with the occasional workstation update or files I need to hit on a file share, Outlook traffic, etc.

Toss in a torrent once in a great while the XBL activity, some HD movie trailers, streaming netflix, Tivo calling home, and just simply the fact that I have 2-4 computers plugged in, etc...I wouldn't want to worry about it like a phone bill.

But I feel for Romier, I'd be pretty much f***** if Charter did this.

TW may be doing something much more strict

As I mentioned my statement was for NYC. It's much easier for them to pull this off if they are the only Broadband service in the area they are doing the cap. Fios just got here, and they are already loosing customers so i don't see them doing this to piss more people off in this area

As I mentioned my statement was for NYC. It's much easier for them to pull this off if they are the only Broadband service in the area they are doing the cap. Fios just got here, and they are already loosing customers so i don't see them doing this to piss more people off in this area

The average user isn't going to notice it though, so I could see TW deciding that losing a few high usage (ie expensive) clients like yourself might be worth it. Fortunately they are only testing the bandwidth cap in 1 market, and only for new customers. If it's like any of their others 'services' they have been testing it may take a while for them to get off their collective ass and actually offer/enforce it (cough, multiroom dvr coming soon for the last 5 freaking years, cough).

Unfortunately, Comcast is my only choice for high-speed internet right now... Supposedly, Qwest is working on getting fiber out here, but I'm not holding my breath.

I normally do not use that much bandwidth - but as has been said - with more downloadable movie/game services - this seems like a very bad idea.

But with XBL and PSN wanting people to download movies, games, etc. and the so-called "Death of the Disc" format, how can Comcrap even consider this?

Just a guess, but I don't think they really give a damn since those would be competing services to any sort of cable tv and video on demand services they may offer.