LCVG

Post your desktop: Pt 3 (I think)

Robot Monkey

My MBP:

desktop-580.png

For my wallpaper I took the raw "Earth as Art" satellite images and autocropped them down to 1920x1200, removed some and have it rotate through the folder (mixed in with some other 1920x1200 crops from Astronomy Picture of the Day). All of the processed EAA images are available here (some don't work well as wallpaper):

http://cryptosystem.org/images/wallpaper/eaa-1920/

Mess links to my current mess dir.

Always the clean desktops...never quite got that. To me it's like having a desk at home that doesn't have anything on it...defeats the purpose.

The desktop is a place for icons and files you're currently using and stuff, like a real desk ;)

During the work day I usually have stuff all over my desktop. At the end of the day it gets dropped into the mess folder. At the end of each week the mess folder automatically rotates. Allows me to access things I'm actually interested in quickly on the desktop without it turning into a bunch of old crap I'm no longer using. If I need something old I'll move it to the current mess folder or desktop. For launching things I either use LaunchBar, the dock, or Spotlight, so I don't keep any shortcuts for that on my desktop.

Always the clean desktops...never quite got that. To me it's like having a desk at home that doesn't have anything on it...defeats the purpose.

I keep what I'm currently working on on my desktop. Open projects with more than a file or two gets dumped in a folder with its name and moved off if I don't need it immediately.

I also made some "corrals" on my desktop wallpaper -- if you look closely, you'll see two areas set off with a 60% transparency and a border. That let's me organize. Also, I sized it deliberately -- if something doesn't fit in the appropriate corral, something else must go.