LCVG

My girlfriend wants a Wii

AnthonyVolpe

Don't even go there. Don't EVEN go there.

Anyway, part of the reason I'm never here is because I'm now in a relationship, and this relationship is with a person who is decidedly a non-gamer. Her videogame expertise has extended to Zuma on the iPod, helping me on Bejeweled, and watching me play Portal and helping me figure out a few of the levels. I don't expect her to go anywhere near Halo 3 or COD4. Oh yeah - she kicked the everloving shit out of me in Dead or Alive 4, but it's a button masher to begin with and she always chooses Ayane (a.k.a. Spinning Pink-Haired Bitch-on-Wheels from Cheapville). :bh

However, at a party recently, she saw the Wii in action and now she wants one. I decided to get one for her for Christmas.

Now here's where you guys come in. What in the blue HELL am I going to get for her along with the game console? So far my only choices are Wii Sports and Endless Ocean. Mario Galaxy seems too convoluted and involved. The new Smash Bros. game seems like another button masher. Boom Blox I can't figure out.

Ideas? Comments? Thread deletion? :confused:

It comes with Wii Sports and that's pretty much all 75% of all Wii owners play anyway. She'll be happy with that for about a month and then it will retire until you pick up Mario Galaxy to play on your own.

You could try Wii Fit, but that's also a two-weeker. The new Wii Sports is coming out this Fall, so that's an option as well.

"My girlfriend wants a Wii"

Oh, I'll bet she does. I'll bet she does! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Know what I mean? Know what I mean?

Does she likes pictures too? Photographs? He said knowingly. Wink, wink. Waahhhhh! Waaahhhh! Nudge, nudge. Say no more!

I'd let her pick out her own games. Then she can't blame you if she hates them.

Animal Crossing is out this fall

My recommendations include some repeats but:

*Dr Mario RX (via internet download)

various classic NES/SNES titles (Castlevania, Mario, Mario 64)

*Wii Sports/Sports II (when it comes out)

*Mariokart Wii

*The Zapper pack in game

Umbrella Chronicles (if she doesnt mind that sort of thing) it's straightforward enough (hard but simple enough for a beginner to try)

RE4 (might be a bit much at first)

*Super Smash Bros Brawl

*Zelda Twilight Princess (might be a little much)

Zack and Wiki (it's cute, and simple to play, but the puzzles can be frustrating)

*Lego Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Batman?

(Onechanbara?? and or Dead Rising Wii may be good too but I dont know for sure)

Wii music is coming (but its hard to know if anyone will like it)

You could also start her off with a minigame collection like raving rabbids 1/2 Carnival Games or that Ninja game (they're not great but they're a way to learn the controls)

Boom Blox. Best game by far, in my opinion.

This.

I suggest giving it to her, and giving it to her good....or somebody else will.

If my laptop stops working and my company asks where the soda in the keyboard came from... you're getting the bill, Boogie :lol

BoomBlox

My wife talked me into picking this up a few weeks after it came out. It's become our 2nd best non-gamer-game next to Wii Sports.

Best of all, you can take turns playing it while really primarily talking/socializing. It doesn't eat up all attention like playing a Mario Kart or the like.

I think anyone can manage a Mario game before too long, or Mario Kart for that matter.

You might also try Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Boom Blox. Period. Underline. Exclamation point. I got this as a birthday present for somebody and we played 4-player on the Wii, it's bloody brilliant. Easy concept, piles of fun.

Raving Rabbids is a good choice too. It's 'just' mini-games but damn they're a hoot. That cow throwing level is still one of the most enjoyable moments I've had with the Wii.

The Trauma Center games are fun, but can be a bit tough starting out. I'd look at it as an 'eventual' game, not a starter.

Smash Bros is a ton of fun too, but I think Mario Kart is a better option for sure. However, I would like to just go on record as saying I in NO way think Smash Bros. is a button masher. A lot of people think it is, but I can tell you right now that while you can get lucky once in a while a skilled player is going to demolish a button masher more often than not.

Keep in mind too that you have a lot of great old-school options on the Virtual Console as well. Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite games, well, ever, but don't discount the value of the many, many 2D platformers (classic Mario ftw) on the VC as well.

• 2 months later...