• The Apple Pan Los Angeles
  • P.J. Clarke's New York
  • White Manna Hackensack, N.J.
  • Joe?s Cable Car Restaurant San Francisco
  • Billy Goat Tavern & Grill Chicago
  • Sid?s Diner El Reno, Okla.
  • Dyer's Burgers Memphis, Tenn.
  • Eastside Big Tom Olympia, Wash.

I keep telling myself I have to go to P.J. Clarke's. I didn't know about the White Mana, I'll have to check that out. Anyone been to any of the others? Have your own favorite burger joint?

Link

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I make a pretty mean burger if I do say so myself. Its pretty basic which IMO is the way a good burger should be. Add some Larrys seasoning salt, A1 steak sauce, some ground pepper, and a little onion powder to some ground beef and mix well. Slap em on the ol BBQ and grill to perfection. Put 1 patty between my favorite thick n soft sesame seed buns, spread a little more A1 sauce on the patty (ya I likes me some A1), add 1 slice of swiss cheese, add 1 slice of american cheddar cheese, add a couple slices of crisp bacon, top with 1 slice of tomato, add some crisp lettace and voila. Oh ya I coat the buns with a little mayo but not much. Serve with favorite BBQ chips (I like Miss Vickie's Mesquite BBBQ) and an ice cold coke. You can have your fancy restaurant burgers. Damn now I'm hungry. I know what I'm making for dinner tonight. :)

Edit: BTW anyone who puts catsup or mustard on a burger needs to stay the hell away from me. Freaks! :)

Billy Goats are good, but a tad overrated. My favorites in Chicago are the Hackney's Inside Out Burger at Hackney's and the Illinois Bar and Grill Bacon Burger. at Illinois Bar and Grill.

I had two real good burgers in San Diego. In and Out Burger and the other was at Hodads. Hodads had some of the best Onion Rings.

-Dean-

Edit: BTW anyone who puts catsup or mustard on a burger needs to stay the hell away from me. Freaks! :)

That's a hilarious statement from somebody who is using A1 and Lawry's Shitty Salt. Those are both incredible nasty. My wife would flay you alive for coming anywhere near her kitchen with either of those, but especially the Lawry's. And after eating her cooking, you'd agree with her. :) Note: catsup and mustard are no great shakes either. Point is, if you make it right and its decent meat, its just like a steak; you shouldn't need to add anything to it. At least that's how I feel about it. ;)

And don't even start on the mayo. Bleargh!

I'd take either over A1

Thats crazy talk. :)

That's a hilarious statement from somebody who is using A1 and Lawry's Shitty Salt. Those are both incredible nasty. My wife would flay you alive for coming anywhere near her kitchen with either of those' date=' but especially the Lawry's. And after eating her cooking, you'd agree with her. Note: catsup and mustard are no great shakes either. Point is, if you make it right and its decent meat, its just like a steak; you shouldn't need to add anything to it. At least that's how I feel about it.

And don't even start on the mayo. Bleargh! [/quote']

Heh to each their own. The Lawrys is definately something I use sparingly. It goes a long ways and I dont really like using it on most stuff. Saying A1 is nasty though? Blasphemy! My palette loves the stuff. I appriciate your "less is more" approach to burgers and steak though. I agree that using quality beef and preparing it well means you shouldn't have to do much if anything to it. That being said even the greatest of steakhouses better hook me up with some A1 sauce or there will be hell to pay. No A1 for my beef is like having no butter to dip my lobster in. Its just wrong. :)

We've got the best fast food burger joint here in Texas: Whataburger. mmm.

There's a place I go to in downtown San Antonio called Armadillo's Burgers and Beer that has THE best burger I've had. They make them in 1/3, 1/2, 1, and 3 lb varieties with choices of plain, cheese, jalapeno and fiesta (with fritos and pico). Killer Tater Tots as well.

Another great place is Cheeburger! Cheeburger! which is franchised all over florida. Awesome french fries too.

Great little hole in the wall here in town called Hank's Hamburgers which was founded in 1949, its famous for the Big Okie:

IMG_0071.JPG

I myself have successfully taken down the Big Okie twice, there is another one called the Big Thunder that is even more meat and cheese and its not on the menu. I've never attempted it.

I've been thinking this over, and I guess I will have to throw Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers into the mix. Yes, steamed burgers...the burger and a big hunk of Wisconsin cheddar are placed into metal trays, which are elevated over water, and then steamed. Sounds gross, right? It looks disgusting, too. But the taste is unbelievable.

I actually lived my high school years about three blocks away from Ted's, and I never even thought to go in. The place looks kind of shady, and who ever heard of steamed meat? It wasn't until years later, when I was reading another "Best Burgers in America" article, and I saw Ted's placed in the top five, that I said to myself, "Holy shit!! THAT Ted's???". I drove back up to my old neighborhood in Meriden and tried one of their burgers, and then spent the next few years kicking myself that I waited so long to try them.

We've got the best fast food burger joint here in Texas: Whataburger. mmm.

Whattaburger is the best?? It's a nice change but it's not In N Out. The more I've eaten at In N Out, the more I appreciate how good it is over the others like Whattaburger.

Kelley,

Hanks is the one near Admiral and Memorial right? If I want heart attack on a plate, I usually order a Ron's Chili Cheeseburger :)

I've had Whataburger twice and it made me sick both times. Didn't mind it going down; it was keeping it down that was the problem.

If I had to rate a "fast food" restaurant with the best burgers it would have to be Steak 'n Shake. White Castle would be up there too but you have to have to be craving them.

Here are a couple chains I think are over rated:

• Red Robin - Sure, they offer a lot of creative toppings but that is probably to cover up how bad the actual burger tastes.
  • Johnny Rockets - They seem to put all their money in the decor and not much into the burger they are supposedly known for.
  • Sonic - There is no flavor in these things at all. In fact their whole menu is plain and flavorless.

• Red Robin - Sure, they offer a lot of creative toppings but that is probably to cover up how bad the actual burger tastes.
  • Johnny Rockets - They seem to put all their money in the decor and not much into the burger they are supposedly known for.
  • Sonic - There is no flavor in these things at all. In fact their whole menu is plain and flavorless.

Red Robin Ive never had but I would put Checkers in that Spot.

Johnny Rockets have Ok burgers but only go there for there Great Shakes

Sonic - I agree is totally all around nasty