LCVG

Thinking of getting Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD

PackFan

Hi folks,

I know that a few of you here have already purchased Pioneer KURO sets... I am thinking of getting one and have read up a little on AVSForum... I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. I know the KURO has an antireflective surface... I have a large patio window off to the side of where the TV would be located. Do you think I'll be okay as far as reflections go?

2. Speaking of the antireflective surface... Some people have reported on AVSForum that it is quite easy to ruin the surface by even getting 'oil' from fingerprints on the screen. I have a 3 1/2 year old and another on the way... Should I be concerned?

3. This is a BIG investment... Magnolia has the set at $6500 I believe... Having shopped online a little bit, I have seen it for less than $5000 sometimes, but low $5000's is fairly common. What would be reasonable to ask Magnolia to match?

4. Extended warranty?

5. I would love to watch the set in all its 1080p glory, but my Elite 74 receiver only passes 1080i... Would this from Monoprice allow me to get the video from my PS3 to the TV while sending the uncompressed audio to my receiver?

Thanks!

Edited by PackFan

Hey man,

I've had 2 pioneer plasma sets now and wouldn't trade them for the world. Our first set was a 720p model from 2-3 years ago, this summer it went bye-bye when my 2 yr old threw a marble through the panel (or enough to chum the set.)

So we went out and loked at all the new TVs, finally decided there was no other plasma as good as the Pioneers. I don't believe we got a Kuro set, but it is last year's 50" 1080p version. Was a floor model at BB and priced at $2600, so all said and done it was $2400 out the door. We love it and now all the plasmas come equipped with anti-shock surfaces, no more worrying about marble catastrophes.

Reflections are always a problem but just try to adjust the seating so that no one (or a minimum of people) is looking at the reflections. I find ceiling mounted canned lights to be worse problems than windows. Remember that reflections with these screens is like a mirror, consider the angle of reflection of any lights in the room vs. seating. Unlike PJs, the picture does not wash out in ambient light, or at least no more than a tube TV in similar situation.

For the kids, mount it on the wall and keep them away from that wall ;) And for goodness sakes, no hard baseballs or marbles in that room. Hehe, trust me on that one. I can send you some photos of our mounting, it is a nice way to go. we have it on the wall with a low electronics cabinet in front. Kids have never messed with it or touched the surface. They like to mess around with the electronics quite a bit though ;)

Prices, I don't know. With the Pioneers it seems like the Elite line leaks down to the standard units in ~2 years. Our new standard set has essentially the feature set of the Elite 2 years ago. I would consider the standard set in your pricing too, and have in mind that you could upgrade again in a few years for cheaper than an Elite now. But the Elite picture is pretty kick ass too...

Extended warranty. Not a bad idea, really personal preference.

As I am in the UK I'll answer two questions I am able to give an opinion on.

1. I know the KURO has an antireflective surface... I have a large patio window off to the side of where the TV would be located. Do you think I'll be okay as far as reflections go?

The anti-reflection is good but not that good. I've a window behind the viewing area directly opposite the screen and during the day it is blatantly visible. A window off to the side of the screen might not be so bad, but ideally you'd want it placed elsewhere or have a blind or curtain for the window.

2. Speaking of the antireflective surface... Some people have reported on AVSForum that it is quite easy to ruin the surface by even getting 'oil' from fingerprints on the screen. I have a 3 1/2 year old and another on the way... Should I be concerned?

There are a couple of surface coatings on the KURO sets I believe. You'd do well not to get any marks/prints on the surface as yes there is probably risk or rubbing away the coatings, but also because the screens are VERY easy to scratch. At most all you ever really want to have to do is gently remove dust from the screen with a microfiber cloth (the sort of thing you'd use to clean camera lenses or a pair of glasses).

Timely thread; I was just looking at the non-Elite versions of these sets yesterday. I have an Elite RPTV that has looked amazing from the time I had it calibrated, so I trust the brand. Glad to hear others have had good experiences with the plasmas.

The problem with this year's non-Elite sets is that they removed much of the ability to tweak the settings... The Elite models are now almost mandatory if you want to adjust to the best possible picture settings...

There are a couple of surface coatings on the KURO sets I believe. You'd do well not to get any marks/prints on the surface as yes there is probably risk or rubbing away the coatings, but also because the screens are VERY easy to scratch. At most all you ever really want to have to do is gently remove dust from the screen with a microfiber cloth (the sort of thing you'd use to clean camera lenses or a pair of glasses).

Monster's screen wipes are the way to go. They are quite good.

The problem with this year's non-Elite sets is that they removed much of the ability to tweak the settings... The Elite models are now almost mandatory if you want to adjust to the best possible picture settings...

Ah, thanks for that. I used to be a big-time tweaker, but over the last five years or so I've kind of gotten away from my obsession with maintaining perfect black levels or contrast. I'm not sure that stuff is a priority for me anymore, but I'll definitely look into how much they neutered the tweakability of the non-Elites before purchasing.

BTW, I was at Costco yesterday and they had the non-Elite 50" plasma for ~$2600. I simply cannot fathom how cheap these things have gotten...that set was five figures when I bought my Elite RPTV just six years ago.

I'm trying to decide now whether to go elite or not - it's about a $1000 difference...

I had my first HDTV ISF-calibrated (Toshiba CRT rear-projection). My Sony LCD rear-projection set I never had calibrated because I felt the picture was 'good-enough' after video essentials set-up...

So, I'm torn - I may or may not ever have this set ISF-calibrated. But, the Elite versions have the 'Pure' mode that the non-Elites do not - and they have some very nice settings that are 'near' ISF-calibration over at AVS Forums.

Ugh - decisions... Then I need to see if I can get Magnolia to come anywhere close to the bottom line I have from one of AVS sponsors - about $5600 delivered for both the 60" Elite and a quality telescoping mount. Magnolia might have a hard time because of tax, but if they throw in installation...

Well, I guess there is always the possibility that I might want to tweak the TV a little more than the non-Elite would allow. That, and I was able to talk Magnolia into a decent price for the TV + wall mount + free delivery + lower tax.

The Elite has a completely different color palette than the non-Elite which is supposed to give more accurate colors...

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the set at Magnolia? Did you get the standard 12% off or were you able to do a little better?

Eventually I'm going to pull the trigger on the 151, but I'm saving and hoping for the price to come down a bit more.

I've had the Pro150FD for a year now and love it! I had it ISF'd by UMR from AVS and it makes a huge difference. I would definitely recommend the Elite as you can get close to perfect color after an ISF calibration. Also I believe the non Elites don't have colorspace2 as on option. This really makes a big difference with the calibration and getting that "projector look".

If you get the 60" Elite I can give you pointers on settings if you want to see what it will look like after the ISF calibration. It really does look like film rather than HD being played on a tv after calibration. I'm thinking of getting the Elite 10g next year if the rumored 65" comes out :)

As for reflections, I have very good light control using blinds AND curtains so I have no problems there.

Congrats on the new TV, you got the best in the market IMO. I ISF calibrate those TV's a lot, they truly are a sight to see when fully tweaked.

Make sure you use the "video pattern" option when you stop using the set for the night for the first 500hrs of use, it will even out the pixel burn so the TV looks the best it can for the remaining of its life. The Elite sets go through a 100hr burn in at the factory but the true burn in time for these is about 500 to 600 hours so using the video pattern helps keep the pixel wear uniform across the entire screen until you reach the end of the burn in process.

Another thing that has come back with the G9 sets is the "blue only" mode. This is the only true way to set the color an tint on your set properly (the blue glasses just don't cut the mustard) So bring up a color bars test pattern, turn on blue only mode and dial in the outside bars with color and the bars one step in from the outside bars with the tint.

Pure mode is probably the most accurate for gray scale right out of the box, but if you can I suggest getting the set ISF calibrated to see its full beauty and don't worry about breaking it in first as I said above these sets have already gone through that at the factory.

I'm currently running the break-in slides from this thread on AVS: Link

From the sound of it - it seems to make a difference, and I'll start with his post-break-in settings and decide later if I want to get it calibrated.

But having the patience to wait until Friday night/Saturday morning to use my set... :umm