LCVG

Return of the King

PhillyCritic

Anyone else pick this one up yet? I'm stuck in each of the three 'story branches'...mainly because I don't do the combos right. :D

Thoughts? Opinions? Tips? Questions?

As a hardcore LOTR lunatic, I'm quite pleased with the game...especially on a visual (and aural) level...but I'm getting tempted to go back and play on the "easy" setting. The game's just a little harder than I expected!

Picked it up last night myself. Im currently stuck on the Minis Tirith level with Gandalf. Damn orcs conitnue to overrun the gates and I can barely keep up. The difficutly level has indeed been upped for this one but thankfully once you learn to use the combos properly you'll get better.

Scott you may want to use the "Orc Skewer" combo I think it was called. Its a simple A-A-Y combo that you can mix up with a Y-Y to crush enemies with shields. The combo system here depends on consecutive kills without being hit in a short period. You'll notice your kill ranking getting better as you slay more orcs in a row (from fair to good to excellent and eventually perfect). This is especially useful in large bands of Orcs because you can rifle through both of the combo's above quickly and enter "perfect" mode even quicker. Perfect mode allows you to score a perfect with every kill you make (really racks up the XP).

The "Road to Isengard" level turned me into a driveling LOTR fanboy by the way. :D Fantastic game and you just cant go wrong with Howard Shores genuis playing in the background.

• 4 weeks later...
I was wondering if there are any more impressions out there! Has anyone else gotten this yet? Has anyone played the co-op mode?

Working on a full review for it J-tello since I beat the game last week. I'll post it and merge these two thread when its ready. (also have a Prince of Persia review coming).

My kids rented it and liked it so much that I just bought it for them. They had a blast with the co-op mode. I was touched to hear them using teamwork to protect each other when one was low on health. I didn't play because I didn't want to see any spoilers for the movie. (Yeah, I know, I should have read the books)

Joel, order it through that EA site promotion dealy. The customer satisfaction guarantee on the website says you can return it for a refund or exchange within 14 days, no questions asked. (of course, you have to pay for the shipping if you return it, but that's about the same as a rental). I got it for $33 dollars shipped.

Carlos.

Thanks Carlos, I saw that you got it, and that E/A deal is what made me raise this topic from the dead. It is going to be hard to not buy this now,.. I need to point one of my xmas gift givers toward this deal. ;)

Romier, I'm looking forward to your review.

One of things I meant to ask everyone, how does this game compare to other co-op Xbox games to date?

Originally posted by JTello@Dec 2 2003, 12:14 PM

One of things I meant to ask everyone, how does this game compare to other co-op Xbox games to date?

Well, the fundamental difference is that it is NOT split-screen co-op. You are both on the same full-screen at the same time.

I can't remember how old you are Joel, but if you can remember it, think of Gauntlet. 8)

You are on the same screen, but you have to kind of stick together so you can continue to "scroll" forward through the game. If one of you is an asshat, he can prevent the other from going forward.

As I mentioned, there is a heavy teamwork element. Also, all your reward points (money?) are shared between the two of you, so you have to plan out your upgrade purchases, or else one guy will be stacked and the other will have no new combos.

I'll ask my kiddos for more details later today.

I can't remember how old you are Joel, but if you can remember it, think of Gauntlet

Too many jokes here, I'm gonna skip to actually answering, , yes I do remember (recently hit 31yrs) and I loved Gauntlet.

I can easily enjoy either split screen screen or shared, but in this genre I perfer the shared,... probably for nostalgia reasons mainly. :D I'm looking forward to playing this game.