LCVG

Why so many EBs? (a rather pointless post)

Covak

The smallest search range with EB's store locater for Canada is 100 freaking kilometers, which finds me 50 EBs. Wtf? :) The distances start: 3.29 km, 5.07 km, 5.43 km, 5.64 km...

I didn't know about the 3.29 km one before just now. Bonus. Saves me the 30 seconds extra before the next two (which are pretty much across the street from each other).

I guess people buy a lot of video games? :)

Edited by Covak

I can get to 3 EBs in 10 minutes or less. Dave C can attest to that. 2 on route 9 and one at a nearby mini-mall. Not to mention a Gamecrazy and Gamestop. I think the key to their success is trade-in's. People trade in their old stuff and get credit. I rarely go to any game specialty stores but that's usually the story. People trading shit in.

Edited by Romier S

I think it's still all EBs in Canada. We never had GameStops, so I don't think they're changing the name here.

I went to the new, closest one, though, and it was a nice big place, like the GameStops I've been in. Some of the mall EBs are so tiny and cramped it's actually annoying (2 or 3 people waiting at the register and there's hardly any room for other people to look around, heh).

Some of the mall EBs are so tiny and cramped it's actually annoying (2 or 3 people waiting at the register and there's hardly any room for other people to look around, heh).

The mall stores get barely any trades. Since trades (and the margin associated with selling the used games) is the whole business mall stores are typically money losers until Q4. Given the insane rent per square foot in your typical mall it makes sense to have cramped stores.

Only one in town here.

Remember Gamestop absorbed Funcoland, and EB, and Computers, Etc.

All of ours are Gamestop labeled now.

We had one in Saginaw, MI and there's at least 3 there now - where Computers etc was, and where Funcoland was, and the original EBgames store. The Funcoland-one is across the street from the mall one - you could almost throw a stone from the mall and hit the non-mall one. (OK, I'm exaggerating, but it's a 5 minute walk, tops, and about 10 seconds by car).

Only one here in my town there, a former EB.

You know, I never thought about it before, but there are probably 3 or 4 within 10 minutes of my house. Seems kind of strange that if your business revolves around used games that you'd want to spread things that thin. Do the stores actually compete with each other? I don't think I've ever been looking for something at store X, and have them tell me that store Y has it (which I have seen at places like Best Buy).

Of course, EB was the only place that actually had Dragon Quest 4 for the DS yesterday, so maybe they actually have a purpose after all.

I just did a search also and there's 6 EBs under 7km away from my house. There's also Rogers Video and Blockbuster Video nearby that also rent games. However, it seems that these places do get a lot of business. I think parents nowadays just turn to renting games as a way to keep their kids out of the way.

My area has:

One EB Games. Best Buy and Futureshop (one block from each other, both owned by Best Buy). And an HMV. And a TRU, an office depot and staples (not that I get games at any of those much) Not to mention a Zellers that also happens to carry games.

The nearest EB other than that is at a mall that's 10 mins away by car, 30 by bus

The closest Gamestop is 25 minutes away. The irony is that as soon as you get to that one, you are only five minutes from five more stores! :confused:

And in that 6 store radius, two of them are in the same small mall, on the same floor. :confused: :confused:

EDIT: BTW, the two in the mall compete. Like if I'm looking for something and one store doesn't have it, I'll ask if the other store might have it, thinking they could ring them and ask, and instead they'll try and sell me on something else entirely that they have in stock. :bh

The closest Gamestop is 25 minutes away. The irony is that as soon as you get to that one, you are only five minutes from five more stores! :confused:

And in that 6 store radius, two of them are in the same small mall, on the same floor. :confused: :confused:

EDIT: BTW, the two in the mall compete. Like if I'm looking for something and one store doesn't have it, I'll ask if the other store might have it, thinking they could ring them and ask, and instead they'll try and sell me on something else entirely that they have in stock. :bh

Geez. That's a little uhhm.

Seriously.. who the heck plunks businesses down like that next to each other competing with each other? This is considered good business strategy?? /boggle

Seriously.. who the heck plunks businesses down like that next to each other competing with each other? This is considered good business strategy?? /boggle

Think of examples outside of video game retail. How often to you see a drug store (Walgreens, CVS, Osco, etc.) seemingly competing with themselves just a few blocks away? How about a McDonalds right near another McDonalds? Starbucks anyone?

It's all traffic patterns. These places feed off of some particular driver. In the case of a Walgreens or a Game Stop it's a particular neighborhood. There may be a barrier between two Game Stops which customers don't typically venture beyond. For example, a highway may split two neighborhoods which are physically near one another. Data shows crossing that highway (even if it is only a minor inconvenience) is something customers rarely do -so they open another one on the other side of the highway.

Game Stop has eliminated a large number of their dual footprint mall sites. However, quite a few still exist. At one point there were malls with as many as 3 stores under the Game Stop flag. These still exist for many reasons. Internal politics between the EB and Game Stop brands (less of an issue today), being locked into a lease, owning rights to a particularly low price on a lease, viability of a really busy mall which makes business sense to have multiple sites, keeping competition out of that particular mall, etc.

Most observers see Game Stop eliminating most dual footprint mall sites and, actually, focusing most of their efforts on the strip mall store. Of course, the same can be said for most specialty retailers at this point.

Think of examples outside of video game retail. How often to you see a drug store (Walgreens, CVS, Osco, etc.) seemingly competing with themselves just a few blocks away? How about a McDonalds right near another McDonalds? Starbucks anyone?

It's all traffic patterns. These places feed off of some particular driver. In the case of a Walgreens or a Game Stop it's a particular neighborhood. There may be a barrier between two Game Stops which customers don't typically venture beyond. For example, a highway may split two neighborhoods which are physically near one another. Data shows crossing that highway (even if it is only a minor inconvenience) is something customers rarely do -so they open another one on the other side of the highway.

Game Stop has eliminated a large number of their dual footprint mall sites. However, quite a few still exist. At one point there were malls with as many as 3 stores under the Game Stop flag. These still exist for many reasons. Internal politics between the EB and Game Stop brands (less of an issue today), being locked into a lease, owning rights to a particularly low price on a lease, viability of a really busy mall which makes business sense to have multiple sites, keeping competition out of that particular mall, etc.

Most observers see Game Stop eliminating most dual footprint mall sites and, actually, focusing most of their efforts on the strip mall store. Of course, the same can be said for most specialty retailers at this point.

Wow, I never considered all those angles. Suddenly all my local EBs seem to make sense.

The Best Buys and Future Shops that are across the street from each other, too :) Sometimes I honestly forget which one I'm in (not like it matters).

I think it's still all EBs in Canada. We never had GameStops, so I don't think they're changing the name here.

I used tpo think the same thing until I moved to edmonton Alberta and one of our malls has a gamestop in it..funny thing is its not the west edmonton mall which is one of the largest in North America..it's a shitty little one that only caters to locals.

The Best Buys and Future Shops that are across the street from each other, too Sometimes I honestly forget which one I'm in (not like it matters).

Yeah, I always wondered about that one as well. Only real difference is that BestBuy has rewardzone points, and FS doesn't.

I can understand traffic patterns in some cases-I've seen intersections with a Tim Horton's on three of four corners-but I still think it's weird in game retail, especially when they want to make money off of used product. In that case, you'd think that having more stock in one location would be more advantageous, unless of course they've figured out what people tend to buy used, and then make sure they have that title. It's odd, because on the rare occasion I go in to look for used games, they don't tend to have what I want.