LCVG

Just another one of those "the memory is better than the reality" moments...

jhfagan

I've dug out some old school and revisted this nifty little title on the PS.

Being the hugest of Star Wars fans, I can still manage to find some sliver of fun in this game, but not for too long.

The best thing I can say about it, other than the music and sound effects ( which were directly from the films ) was the stages looked friggin great!

Other than that, admittedly, the game played like a pig and collision detection was a joke.

But back when it came out, it was the only Star Wars game of it's kind and it WAS fun!

Mastersbox.jpg

I remember seeing this game in college. Someone down the hall had this and I watched him play it on his Playstation. I remember at the time thinking it looked cool, but because I'm not a big fan of fighting games, I never touched the controller. It sounds like I made the right choice.

My friends and I put a ton of hours into this game. I'm not a fighting game connoisseur, so we just had a great time mashing buttons and playing with some great characters. The four of us each had a character - Mara Jade, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and the Guard (you know, the guy with the tusks). Mara would beat Luke, Vader would defeat Mara, the Guard would defeat Vader, and Luke would defeat the Guard. It was funny that we would pretty much just go in circles with the controller as there was always someone who could defeat the previous victor.

You Star War fans! :P

Even the worst Star Wars game is better then any of the Star Trek games that have been made! :D

Not entirely true. There's been a couple godawful star wars titles that are worse than some Trek games, but you're right most of the Trek games are awful.

Judgement Rights/25th anniversary from Interplay were pretty decent for Trek games though... (there were a couple OK other ones too if I recall right)

I liked Birth of the Federation (turn based strategy) when my Star Trek geek buddy had it.

I remember this too, this was a pretty decent MS-DOS game:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/star-trek-25th-anniversary

It was mostly a point and click adventure game kinda like King's Quest.

Edited by GreenMonkey

Go play Bridge Commander and learn just how wrong you are.:) Hell, Deep Space Nine: The Fallen is better than most of the dreck with the Star Wars name on it.

You must admit the Mass of Bad Trek games outweighs the number of "ok to good" Star Wars titles. (I grant there are a lot of bad Wars games too but there's been far more awful Trek games - not all were bad but.. ;p)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/star-trek-25th-anniversary

That's the first good trek game I ever heard of. The sequel also from Interplay was called Judgement rights. After that there was a couple of DS9 titles and Armada (which was supposedly pretty fun). Elite Force was enjoyable, I felt but it still was just an FPS reskinned with Trek stuff added.

The problem with Trek is - it's a dry franchise for the most part, mostly about drama, personal conflict etc (drama that just isnt translated well into games). If you try to do a "story based" Star Trek game, it winds up getting bogged down in the drama, which bores most players. If you do an action based Trek game, and you dont do the action elements properly, it winds up feeling clunky and cumbersome (esp since you're dealing with large scale capital ships which tend to feel that way anyway).

There are 2 kinds of Trek fans - the ones who enjoy the plots/sci fi, drama stuff and the ones who like the futuristic technology/characters (like say The Borg). It's really hard to please both. But it's better to aim to please the futuristic tech fans more because there's more room to run with that in videogames, as they're currently made anyway. Another problem is, you actually have to blend in elements of the series which fans really enjoyed to keep the game from feeling blandly generic - a lot of Trek games failed at that.

There are 2 kinds of Trek fans - the ones who enjoy the plots/sci fi, drama stuff and the ones who like the futuristic technology/characters (like say The Borg)

I would not say that. I like both things. Im a fan of sw and trek, and both have their fair share of good , and bad games.

You must admit the Mass of Bad Trek games outweighs the number of "ok to good" Star Wars titles.

I don't disagree. The problem is the /good/ Trek games tend to get ignored in the process and lumped into the pile of mediocre releases. Anyone that says Trek hasn't had some good game releases hasn't played the afformentioned DS9: The Fallen and Bridge Commander (which is one of the best Trek games out there IMHO). Nor have they played the Armada series or the Star Trek Elite Force series which somehow found a way to make Voyager interesting.:lol

I'm hoping Star Trek Online gets added to that list.

There are 2 kinds of Trek fans - the ones who enjoy the plots/sci fi, drama stuff and the ones who like the futuristic technology/characters (like say The Borg).

I'd disagree with that generalization and add that much like Star Wars fans, Trekkers simply want a good game to play. Both of the criteria mentioned can be easily reconciled in a game that gives players quality game mechanics (in whatever genre chosen) with which to play with that futuristic technology. All in the hands of thier favorite characters who will no doubt be involved in some intergalactic drama to satiate the narrative side of the equation. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

I could argue there are two types of Star Wars fans afterall. Those who think Greedo shot first and those who don't. There's no game that can fix that rift.:lol:)

Nor have they played the Armada series or the Star Trek Elite Force series which somehow found a way to make Voyager interesting.:lol

I'm skeptical. That seems like a monumental task given how badly Voyager sucked (sorry ST-loving geeks).

By the way, I remember playing the ST: Masters of Terra Kasi fighting game and thinking "Why don't they go grab some Street Fighter or something, man, this sucks". But these were the button-mashing folks who probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

(sorry ST-loving geeks).
'

None indeed. Voyager was a very odd series which is why its hard to really like. There were some really bad episodes, however there were some very very good episodes as well. Which most people never saw as they gave up on it early on. Rewatching the DVD sets are really quick, as I skip over the trash

I don't disagree. The problem is the /good/ Trek games tend to get ignored in the process and lumped into the pile of mediocre releases. Anyone that says Trek hasn't had some good game releases hasn't played the afformentioned DS9: The Fallen and Bridge Commander (which is one of the best Trek games out there IMHO). Nor have they played the Armada series or the Star Trek Elite Force series which somehow found a way to make Voyager interesting.:lol

I'm hoping Star Trek Online gets added to that list.

I'd disagree with that generalization and add that much like Star Wars fans, Trekkers simply want a good game to play. Both of the criteria mentioned can be easily reconciled in a game that gives players quality game mechanics (in whatever genre chosen) with which to play with that futuristic technology. All in the hands of thier favorite characters who will no doubt be involved in some intergalactic drama to satiate the narrative side of the equation. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

I could argue there are two types of Star Wars fans afterall. Those who think Greedo shot first and those who don't. There's no game that can fix that rift.:lol:)

Well here's the thing: There are 2 basic kinds of trek games you can make, a knockoff of the episodic style - slow dramatic Character Driven style. or one that embraces the character/cultures/tech of Star Trek and uses it in a twitch format (usually where character isn't the driving force) (the third being a blend which almost never gets done and because of that leaves the player feeling unsatisfied)

So you have your Interplay type 25th anniversary style titles (which are mostly slow but great storytelling) and then you have your Armada/Elite Force - esque Trek titles which are more actiony. Armada/Elite Force are more popular with a larger audience (but less Treklike for some fans who want to see the drama, character driven storytelling of Trek, not just the action). I mean, how many times do characters kibbitz like Kirk McCoy and Spock in a game like Armada, or Elite Force. Not saying that can't be included but it just so often isn't and some fans dont even notice or care that it's not there while others get disappointed by its absence.

Thing is most gamers prefer more actiony so 25th anniversary's slower pace character driven storytelling will be boring to some (except of course for the combat sequences which a LOT of people said they wanted as it's own game). But those who like the 25th anniversary style may find the twitch version of Trek to be too unrealistic or not enough like the show for their tastes (not all but you know what I'm trying to get at) (or too sluggish because they're using capital ships).

I do agree that narrative style and action aren't mutually exclusive but that all the mediocre games try to do is satiate one or the other and the end experience isn't as satisfying, or doesn't feel "Star Trek" enough. Sure it might Look Star Trek, sound Star Trek, but it lacks the essence of what players want to see from the franchise.

I guess what i"m trying to say is, Trek is pretty big, and most games try to focus on just one aspect of the franchise. Some people only care for part of the franchise like the space battles or starship stuff/only like the away mission stuff, while others are more interested in the totality of it, while very few are just interested purely in the dramatic elements.

The problem is, not many games have been successful at blending all that variety of content (because honestly it is tough to make a cohesive whole out of it), and more than a few have been unsatisfactory experiences just representing the part they actually focused on. And unfortunately a few games were slopped out expecting the franchise title to sell it regardless of quality.

Look at the relative popularity of Star Trek CCG to Star Wars CCG. Star Wars (decipher classic) outsold the Trek one by far - because it was faster paced. But a lot of fans were hoping for more from the Trek CCG but they tried to make a more "total experience" with it, and it wound up being OK but not quite as fun because of some plodding game mechanics involved in setup.

Also Han shot first (end of story). :P

Anyway the Trek franchise is just so huge it's difficult to marry all the different elements into a satisfying experience, while retaining authentiticy, And fun. Doable yes, but it's damn difficult.

I mean you've got TOS,TNG,DS9,Voyager,and Enterprise to draw from. 100s of episodes, 100s of characters, plot points and storylines. As a developer it would be easy to be overwhelmed with the sheer volume of material and be unsure of what to do with it or either run out of money trying to do a broad based experience, or time and wind up shipping a steaming pile instead >.< So a lot of people are wary, and I can't blame them. But honestly there haven't been That many satisfying Trek titles compared to Wars, so people just get nervous of the franchise (and I can't say I blame them).

Edited by OzzelsCousinFred

"the memory is better than the reality" moments

This happens all the damn time with me. Most recently with a little game called "Alter Ego". Back in 1987 I thought this game was so deep and impressive. I found it online a year ago and tried it, but it was lame.

I used to love playing Yar's Revenge on the 2600 with my Dad, so I busted out the game again and instantly found it to not be a challenge at all. Got real good at hitting the flying thing in mid air, thus maxing out the "extra lives" counter. Flipped the score many times over. No challenge.

Pitfall is bore on the 2600. I used to love it. 20 min. of virtual silence with four different sound effects from time to time. I wonder if I can still take a picture of my screen and send it to them for an award like they offered back in 1982.

What else used to be fun....

I used to love playing some Road Rash and Total Eclipse on the 3DO. Oh wait... those are still fun.

I put alot of hours in on the C64 playing games such as Crystal Castle, Mario Bros., and EA's Race Car Destruction Set. When revisited recently, I am confused.

Smash TV in the arcade always seemed fun, but on the XBox's arcade classics I played it for 15 min. and decided I didn't need to play it anymore.

Gyruss was always a favorite in the arcade (probably because of the killer soundtrack), but I just couldn't get into it with the D-Pad that Playstation offered, so there it sits.

Leaderboard Golf was a huge timekiller on the C64, with all of it's expansion packs. Don't think I'd ever go back to that with the golf games of today however.

I'm sure there's more memories.

I never watched StarTrek, and still haven't see StarWars Ep. 1, 2, or 3, so I'm sorry for derailing the thread.:o

This thread and the memories of Sam and Max (which got mentioned elsewhere) reminded me of so many old games I haven't been able to play in ages.

I sometimes wonder if going back to them I'd still enjoy them just as much but some of them I'm sure I would. I never really had any games before my 8086 (or a proper console or pc of any kind before that) but the 90s had so many great PC games.

A few non Trek/Wars favorites were the end of the licence 1990s SSI titles (Dark Sun/Al Qadim, Ravenloft), Wolfenstein (original), Shadowcaster, Conquests of Camelot, a bunch of the classic Sierra titles/Monkey Island, Full Throttle/Sam and Max, Legend of Kyrandia, Return to Zork, Warcraft II and a bunch of other games from that era