LCVG

Heroes S3 begins...

JoeyN

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed it. I hope "everything is different" now means the characters have learned to stop fucking with time.

I rolled my eyes when that reporter mentioned he got that tape from a friend at a certain hotel. How convenient! Well, not for that character...

Suresh is still a big huge idiot. I hope bad things are in store for him :)

I liked it like I have in the past. But it still has the same old problems of every season. Spoilers below.

The characters don't earn their character arch.

• Claire finds out she can't feel pain, and then within 2.2 seconds, she's become depressed and deranged in a path toward evil. She's the new character they need for this season. Done.
  • Peter's brother gets shot. He's not awake for 2.2 seconds before he has time to think, realize, and have the revelations necessary to become a religious zealot with pre-scripted speeches such that he can perform the duties of his new character for this season. Done.
  • Scientist guy makes a discovery under a microscope that he doesn't expect. Within 2.2 seconds his excitement transitions to a new attitude about power, that he wants it, he injects himself, and then BAM, he's a new character that they need for this season.

Too many people are getting powers.

Or likely will get powers. The coolness of people with powers goes away slightly when everyone has them. The whole secret identity tension doesn't exist if everyone has powers and that is one of the most fun parts of super heroes stories, seeing how they integrate their normal lives into their superlives.

The other problem is that they are diluting the stakes so badly making the whole show's tension dissolve.

Everyone who dies comes back. Usually with no explanation. Maybe they'll provide one, but who cares. Characters can't die in the show and nothing that happens matters because they can just go back in time to fix it. Or make it worse if that is their goal, so that there can be another season to fix that.

What I liked:

• Come on, it is super heroes with powers. It would be fun no matter what. And it is.
  • I like the new cliffhanger parallel Star Warzy switching from plot to plot mechanic. Perhaps they did that in the past but it seems more deliberate and focused now. Hope they keep it up.
  • Scientist guy is SO THE FLY. I mean, jesus. A scientist does an experiment on himself, gets super strength and senses, is crawling on the walls in his lab when his girlfriend comes in, his attitude has changed, he bangs her (probably gets her pregnant). Of course things will go terribly wrong and the girlfriend will try to help him and then eventually realize she can't. I like this though. It is a cool homage.

Edited by foogledricks

My feelings are mixed on the first two hours. It seemed very busy and unnecessarily convoluted. Too many people with superpowers and too many characters flipping sides or seeming to. I also found Dr. Suresh's actions ie injecting himself with the serum in conflict with the character established in previous seasons.

This series is going to end up being a case study in why the overuse of time travel becomes a bad story device. It kills any tension because when things get too tough a character can wink out and come back later to try and fix the problem again. It also raises far too many questions. For starters why wasn't Mama Petrelli concerned about The Butterfly Effect in Season One?

This season could end on a Bobby Ewing stepping out of shower moment if its not careful.

I'll tune in for a couple of more shows but methinks the cooks are using too many recipes from the cooking book.

I liked it.

I really love the way they filmed the Claire/Sylar stalker thing. A real nice throw back to the slasher flicks. I also loved how they showed Sylar lurking when Claire wasn't looking (ie. shadows, reflections, etc).

But there's still too many storylines to tell. And the Haitian is suppose to play a big role too. Hopefully they kill a few to clean up the cast a bit.

I was only half paying attention when this was on (was trying to do junk in WoW). On the one hand, I think theres a lot of story potential, on the other the plot so far seems weird

I do feel that the first 2 hours crammed a lot into a very small amount of time, it's like they're rushing things a little too much while with S1/S2 they took their time and paced out the story, giving the story room to grow with each episode. It was like a 2 hr premiere that was like 6 episodes worth of story

I also agree about the storyline having some strange character changes too. I could see Suresh getting a bit nuts, but he just rushed right into things and that seemed out of character (granted the timeline changed but still).

Also the funny thing:

"Darkness is coming"

No kidding? Dark Knight did well so now this show is all about "Darkness" huh. >.<

Too many people are getting powers.

Or likely will get powers. The coolness of people with powers goes away slightly when everyone has them.

For those that watched the 4400' date=' the moment Suresh discovered a way to imbue people with powers - you know you're eyes had to roll a little.:) We'll see if they march to the same tune the 4400 (which was on the cusp of doing some really interesting things..) or do something different. Overall, I'd agree with you Keith but I want to see more.

I also found Dr. Suresh's actions ie injecting himself with the serum in conflict with the character established in previous seasons.

Once you realize that no matter what situation he's in, he's going to Mohinder it (a polite euphamism for fucking it up) you'll be a lot more comfortable with some of the ridiculous things he does. His character arc is one of the most frustrating for me because they completely throw out any established rules for the sake of putting him in supposedly dramatic situations. I agree with Keith here. He doesn't earn it.

it's like they're rushing things a little too much while with S1/S2 they took their time and paced out the story, giving the story room to grow with each episode.

Except Season 2 was met with nothing but complete derision for the unendingly slow pace of its story. I defended it for quite some time because I (stupidly) thought it was going to lead somewhere. By the end I felt like an idiot for thinking they had some overarching plan but the result was one of the worst and most ridiculously presented season finales I saw last year. I agree with you on the first seasons pacing. I disagree that season 2 was of the same ilk. If I had to decide between last nights episodes rather good setup of things to come and season 2's snail pace leading nowhere - I'll take last nights show without question. Even with the character issues mentioned.

No kidding? Dark Knight did well so now this show is all about "Darkness" huh.

I don't think there's any correlation there. This show has presented dangerous and "dark" story archs throughout the first two seasons. The tone of last nights show wasn't terribly outside of what we're used to. We still have Hiro and Ando joking around with one another along with more lighthearted moments like Parkman talking to the turtle to break up the gritty tone.

Well I was mostly thinking about the start of Season 2 rather than the finale (Season 2 felt like it got cut off mid season before it had a chance to go anywhere and ending it with that "who shot JR moment" was pure cheese I have to agree)

No I realize Heros has had dark storylines before, but all the ads for this season are pretty much: "Darkness is coming" and it seems like the whole mentality of "Well dark knight was dark and made a fortune, so let's advertise that we're making Heroes "darker" seems like just aggrivating cash in the way they're doing it.

So far, this has "REBOOT" written all over it. Suresh turning into an insect - Sylar getting Claire's power - Future Peter F*cking everything up - Random people everywhere (if previews are believed) getting powers.

It's just too much... How do you fix it? Have Peter/Future Peter/Hiro go back and stop the shooting in the first place...

How do you fix it? Have Peter/Future Peter/Hiro go back and stop the shooting in the first place...

Which would then cause the original future where Peter and others like him are hunted. The wonders of time travel.

I don't know if automatically sceams "reboot" but there are certainly some out of character things happening thus far in this season. No worse than Season 2 though if you ask me which was ridiculous at times. At the end of the day, were two episodes in and I liked it. I actually agree with Keith on a lot of points he mentions about characters no earning thier place in the story but we'll see how things move forward.

Ok - then one of them time travels back and convinces Nathan to cancel the press conference in the first place... ;)

That was the first thing I thought of... I mean... instead of shooting your brother, why not go back a half hour earlier and have a chat with him? Peter's not exactly a great thinker, is he...