LCVG

Vista Anti-Virus? Vista Software in general?

dogbert

My dad's just bought a new laptop & needs some good anti-virus software to go with it. He's the kind of user who's PC always ends up with malware and pop-ups everywhere & unfortunately (fortunately?) I'm 3500 miles away, making it hard to do support. Right now, he's in the house with the laptop, making it far easier for me to set it up as best as I can to protect him from himself :rock

The laptop's got Vista Home Premium 32-bit on it. Free software is better than non-free :) Any suggestions bar the usual AVG?

You should be able to use the built in Remote Assistance feature in Vista over the internet, but I've never actually tried it. I remember it being mentioned when it first came up in XP, and then it sort of fell off my radar until a customer mentioned using it last week. I tried it out locally and it seemed to work, and the docs seem to suggest that you can set it up on the internet as well (albeit there might be port forwarding issues on a router). Might be worth investigating?

ShowMyPc sounds pretty cool though-is it similar to GoToMyPc.com?

Vista Home Preimum doesn't have RDP, but Business and Ultimate do. Yes, this is stupid...

Remote Desktop friggin rules. I've been using VNC for a while, I switched to Remote Desktop, and it is 10x better.

There are certainly better tools but for what he's looking to do - the sluggishness of a VNC connection won't be an issue as you note for small tasks. He gets in, fixes whatever issues are going on with his dads' computer and he gets out. All is well.

At work, I have to troubleshoot clients computers without putting them through lengthy install processes or signing up for accounts etc. I've found showmypc.com to be perfect for it. Quick app download, they read me a code and I'm in with almost no issues to do what I need to do and get out.

How is showmypc with corporate firewalls? If it works over standard ports, it might be a useful tech support tool.

Remote Desktop friggin rules. I've been using VNC for a while, I switched to Remote Desktop, and it is 10x better

You want awesome? Combine RDP with Virtual Server. Actually, I really have to get around to setting up HyperV on server 2008 for my host OS on my virtual server box-I want to be able to create 64 bit VMs, and Virtual Server 2005 won't let you do that.

How is showmypc with corporate firewalls? If it works over standard ports, it might be a useful tech support tool.

I use it at work all day in and out through our corporate firewall with no issues. I can readily connect to users. Technicall support for our clients is a big part of my job so it most certainly does come in handy.

I am not 100% sure about vista compat and these two programs but they are both free and have very good independent ratings. I used AVG for awhile but jumped ship when they went to vers 8.x it was bad for my pc(utilization issues). I switched to Avira AntiVir personal which has a small footprint and if you are in the firewall market Comodo makes a good firewall product which is also free.

yes there is a free version. I typically watch this site http://www.filehippo.com/ and periodically check the new versions out or replace existing free software that has been #.# released from good to bad. I loved AVG Free when it was the 7.x version but I was scared off from free 8.x based on some cpu utilization issues(which could be fixed now I don't know).