LCVG

LCD or plasma?

Covak

What's up with TVs these days? I know there are some great LCDs out there now, but are plasmas still awesome? Are there bad plasmas to watch out for?

Mom wants to get herself something at least 42". She was liking the LCD prices, but it seems like you can get 50" 1080p plasmas for competitive prices now, too.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every comparison test they do, a plasma wins. In the end, it comes down to the black level and contrast which LCD's struggle with. LCD's also struggle with SD.

I haven't experienced any issues with off angle viewing on my plasma. I sit at a pretty extreme angle usually and the PQ is still stunning.

The only real issue I've ran into is Plasmas are typically pretty reflective so they have a glare problem with large amounts of light.

Plasma

I personally really don't like the black level detail / contrast of LCDs. I still use a CRT for my computer for that reason (LCD is fine for a work computer though).

The only time you should be choosing LCD over plasma is:

Rooms with tons of windows (like a sunroom) where the windows could cause a major reflection problem with the plasma's glass surface.

Or a very tight space/weight restraint of some sort that requires the lighter form-factor of an LCD.

You're using it as a computer screen (the only way IMO burn-in is at any risk anymore). Even an LCD will burn in a Windows image if abused enough, though it takes a lot more abuse than a plasma.

Even power wise...plasmas consume a little more power, but a good plasma can actually use less power than some of the cheaper / less well-designed LCDs.

Edited by GreenMonkey

You can get the 50" Panasonic TH-50PX80U plasma for $897 right now at Best Buy. It's on sale for $997 & 10% off cards are easily attained...I just got 2 of them in those change of address kits from the post office. ;) I'm thinking about picking one up myself as I'm moving this week & I'd like something smaller than my current behemoth RPTV.

They probably won't make the 720p sets much longer, so now is a good time to jump on those sets if you don't want 1080p.

EDIT: I don't know if any of that applies in Canada though?

Edited by Dan B.

Covak, does your mom frequently leave static images on-screen for long periods of time (e.g. she pauses the DVR and forgets about it)? If so, unless she's a home theater enthusiast, the differences in image quality between an LCD and a plasma will likely be unnoticed compared to seeing a ghost image burned into the screen. My wife does this all the time and it makes me glad I got an LCD for the bedroom. And before anyone sounds off about me being biased towards LCDs, I work for Panasonic and we have several 1080p plasmas of various sizes. I, in fact, prefer the image of plasmas.

Here's the main question: how much ambient light will there be in the room during most viewing?

If the TV is used mostly during the day, or with lots of lights on, I'd go LCD.

If for nighttime movie viewing or in a light controlled room, plasma all the way.

LCDs run bright IMHO, there is just no way to adjust them enough to a good black level in a dark room. Plasmas are awesome for that, but are not as bright in sunny rooms.

There are always other factors, but that's the first question to answer before you worry about product A vs. B and such.

I myself have a 37" Olevia LCD for the daytime hours, because it was cheap, and I wasn't too picky about PQ for daytime TV. I mean, it spends hours playing crap like VH1, Oprah, Dr. Phil, etc...when I'm there I just catch up on my Colbert/Daily show/etc..and the kids watch Sesame Street.

I would never use one as a primary viewing device, but as a daylight-only TV viewing 99% SD I wasn't too picky.

They work fine as a TV. But as a movie-watching device, I'd choose plasma all the way.

• 2 months later...

Thread Bump!

I'm probably going to be buying a new TV in the next month or so, and love the 61" Samsung LED DLP, but I'm only going to be sitting about 10' from the screen. Is this too close? What is the "correct" size range for sitting about 10' away? Any other suggestions? I need to keep it under $2k, including a stand...

Thread Bump!

I'm probably going to be buying a new TV in the next month or so, and love the 61" Samsung LED DLP, but I'm only going to be sitting about 10' from the screen. Is this too close? What is the "correct" size range for sitting about 10' away? Any other suggestions? I need to keep it under $2k, including a stand...

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Thread Bump!

I sit about 8' away from my 60" screen and I kinda wish it was 70" :) Hmm, that actually jives perfectly well with that calculator :)