LCVG

Sid Meier's Colonization

Mark E

Just came out last week, grabbed on Steam over the weekend.

I'm a sucker for this era of history so this has been a lot of fun. The game is HEAVY on the trade and very much less so on war. That being said, I lost my first game in an hour because those picky natives didn't like me ransacking their burial grounds for loot.

Next time, dammit, next time!

But, yeah, an interesting title and it's much more end-game focused than Civ IV, since you have to bring your colonies to revolt before the other nations and survive the retribution of the king in Europe. Coupled with the fact that you're also going to get clocked frequently by the empire for EVERYTHING. The bastards demand tax every ten turns or so, charge duties on shipping if you don't have a galleon, rarr, you'll want to rebel about fifty turns in I swear.

It's easy to get into if you've played Civ IV, but I still have NO idea what I'm doing yet in terms of getting started. I was very flounder-y in my first game trying to work out all the trade options and I expect it'll be a few more before I get my bearings. Seems to be worth it though, there's a lot to love here beneath the surface.

I picked this up over the weekend as well, and I'm having a hard time getting into it. I own CIV4, but never put a lot of time into it (I know the basics), and this one pretty much had me a little confused from the start. I've put way more time into Civ:Rev recently, so that's throwing me off a bit as well I'm sure.

I've been reading that the game is really unbalanced when you finally revolt against your King, but I'm sure there will be updates to address this.

I'm honestly too scared to get this game after Civ IV. I can see many days of my life going poof if I get it :)

Interesting to hear that it's less focused on war. I was always more interested in the non-war stuff in Civ IV...

Oh snap, it's only $30? I'm sure I'll end up with it soon :)

I know what you're saying, Chris, I've been having a hard time. Did a second game last night for an hour and got liberally beaten down by George Washington, the smug prick.

One thing I'm having the hardest time wrapping my head around is the idea that your units and colony growth are mainly provided by immigrants rather than actual in-town growth like it's done in Civ IV. I keep waiting for the colony to grow on its own, but it really isn't gonna happen that often.

The other is working out trade routes and stuff, there's a lot to take in here. On the other hand, I'm glad the game actually makes me want to learn these things or I'd have to murder somebody ;).

One thing I'm having the hardest time wrapping my head around is the idea that your units and colony growth are mainly provided by immigrants rather than actual in-town growth like it's done in Civ IV. I keep waiting for the colony to grow on its own, but it really isn't gonna happen that often.

That's exactly the problem I'm having as well Mark. I'm so used to the way cities grow in the previous Civ games, I keep forgetting that I have to worry about the immigrant issue. I'll get the hang of it I'm sure, but I really wish there was a better tutorial system in place.

I read some great tutorial by a Civ IV beta tester with loads of screenshots which *really* helped me get a handle on that game at first. I wonder if there's anything like that for this one, or coming. I kinda ran out of something totally new to play on my PC, but a game like this on Steam for $30 is fixing that in a hurry (download almost done :)).

EDIT: This game is fantastic :)

Edited by Covak

I'm deep into my second game and still not sure I know what I'm doing. I think I'm running my settlements efficiently, but I've either got too few or I just don't have the economy going like I should, because there's no way I'll be able to build and/or buy a big enough army to survive what the empire has in store for me (especially since they'll keep adding to their forces as I get closer to rebelling!). I may win on score at 300 turns, anyway...

It's hard for me to get a feel for the game. It seems like your time is so limited, and it's not at all like Civ IV where you can grow a city into a super-city that makes just about anything in 1 turn. Everything takes a little time in this, and you don't have much.

Does anyone know exactly what the 3 victory conditions are (for custom games)? I assume "Time" means you can chose to have the game not end at 300 turns, going on until one of the other conditions is met. But what are the "Europe" and "Independence" conditions? Besides having the best score at 300 turns, I thought defeating Europe and becoming independent was the one other victory condition. And what if you have all 3 conditions unchecked? If that makes it simply a game of domination of the new world, I want to give that a spin. I just hope the AI won't be silly and try to rebel...

EDIT: Found lots of tips in the CivFanatics forums and even the GameSpot forums. Yowzers, so much to learn.

Edited by Covak