LCVG

Router security question

Jeff W

When I switched to the D-link extreme N gaming router I never got around to setting up the wireless security on it, I tried to do it tonight but I had some problems. I tried to use WPA personal, went down to where it said "pre-shared key" and typed in a password, rebooted then couldn't connect back to the router. My brother managed to re-connect but couldn't figure out exactly what he changed to do it, so I got back in with his PC and turned the security off. I thought I'd just type in a password, reboot and that would be it, every time after that it would just ask for that password but that didn't happen. I know all routers are probably different and this is a really general sort of a question but, what do I need to do to get this to work? Some setting on my PC?

Also, if I ever do get it working how does that effect PS3's, PSP's, and Ipod Touch's that all connect via the wi-fi? We've got 3 laptops, 3 PSP's, 2 PS3's, 1 Xbox 360, and 2 Ipod Touch's that all use the wireless, my 360 is hardwired so I shouldn't have to worry I don't think.

If you were logged into the router's configuration interface over wireless, then changing the security of the wireless would indeed kick you out and you would not be able to get back in without changing the settings on your wireless card. It would be a good idea to use a PC that is directly connected to the router to do the configurations with.

As fishepa mentioned, it sounds like you were making the changes on a laptop connected to your wireless network. So once you enable a PSK for the network, you won't be able to connect to it until you setup the password in the properties of the wireless connection on your laptop.

Also, if all of your devices that you want to connect can handle it, I recommend stepping up to WPA2-AES. You live in Detroit afterall, you need as much protection as you can get. ;)

For each of those devices you mentioned that use Wifi you'll need modify their wireless settings to use the new security settings on each device.

Thanks for the help guys, most of this is greek to me at the moment but I'm slowly getting a handle on it. We didn't even have a password to get into the router's settings, you just hit the login button. Anyone could have hopped on our connection, got into the router, set a password and locked us out.

The number one concern that should exist as motivation to lock down your wireless network is to provide some filter in place to make it less likely for someone to hop on and use your network for illegal activity, making those crimes potentially linked back to you via your ISP. Good to see you're taking the time to read up on it and do it right, Jeff. :tu

I can usually find 1 or 2 other wireless routers when I search, and if I can find them, they can find me. The criminal potential is a great point, also with comcast instituting the 250 gb cap I didn't want anyone sucking up bandwith who wasn't supposed to be. Last week I noticed someone connected while I was in the router's settings who was only at 51%, figured it was some neighbor piggybacking and that's what got me started on the whole security kick. Turned out it was my father on his ipod touch, I just never figured anyone in the house would get that crappy a signal.

Oh depending on how far you are from the router, the signal will drop a lot. However around here I can pick up my Signal all the way down the block North and South, and half way across the avenue before it drops out. Which if going the East or West could probably be 1-2 streets over. If i didn't have it protected over 100 homes, and a couple of schools around here would be able to pick it up. Talk about scary thoughts