LCVG

Moving to Chicago - cable vs satellite?

jubjub75

Moving to Chicago in the near future (Bucktown) and we have a choice between Comcast or RCN for cable tv/internet. I've never used Comcast, and have never heard of RCN. Any pros/cons for either? Or should I consider Dish or DirectTV? I've always had cable here in Toledo (Buckeye Cable), which has pretty decent service and HD offerings, so I've never seriously considered satellite before, but am open to the possibility.

My biggest considerations are HD content and internet. Oh, and price :)

I have RCN cable in the Washington DC area. We switched from Comcast due to their poor customer service. I'm happy with RCN, they even recently called me proactively to tell me that I could lower my cable bill and get a faster internet connection. They are trying to prevent people from switch to FiOS.

Next week RCN is switching to all digital channels in our area. I believe that the Chicago area was the first market where RCN tried this. I am excited for the extra HD content. However, I am not happy that we now have to use converter boxes on ALL of the TVs. No problem for me in the bedroom and living room. But we have TVs in kitchen and office that really only need the basic cable channels for local TV and wife's Lifetime channel. But now with the switch to all digital, we can no longer plug the cable directly from the wall to the TV, it now has to go through a converter box. Which we will have to pay a few dollars extra each month for.

But now with the switch to all digital, we can no longer plug the cable directly from the wall to the TV, it now has to go through a converter box. Which we will have to pay a few dollars extra each month for.

We have never been able to do that here, always needed a box