LCVG

Windows 7

MrJames

The codename for the next release of Windows will be the final name.

And, as you probably know, since we began development of the next version of the Windows client operating system we have been referring to it by a codename, "Windows 7." But now is a good time to announce that we've decided to officially call the next version of Windows, "Windows 7."

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/10/13/introducing-windows-7.aspx

Nice presentation on whats been shown so far.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/win7_shipping_04.asp

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that they are striping out all the crap with Windows 7, sure its in an effort to get it on market ASAP because no one is buying Vista.

I think the problem they'll have is if it looks too much like Vista, will people stay away from 7.

One good thing though is that not many businesses took up Vista, and most are starting to feel the pains of XP's tired ass, there for they are taking hard looks at 7. I know we are.

Looking forward to getting my hands on a build of this later this month at PDC. Apparently part of the conference swag this year is an external hard drive full of all the betas/VPCs from the show. As a user, all I'm really looking for in Win 7 is a better performing OS than vista with better driver support. As a developer, I'm worried about what else might get messed up (i.e. is the application compatibility abstraction layer going away).

They should shove down 64-bit down everybody's throat. That way there's no excuses for anybody to produce 64-bit apps.

And I care as I use mine as a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and a bunch of plugins I use are not 64-bit yet. Heck many synths and drum programs would benefit from 64-bit addressing, loading drum samples in those 8 GIGs of memory of my new imaginary machine would be great....

But no they are going to support 32-bit still.... Fuckers....

Man, I step away from the forums for a while and you guys start a thread discussing the very product I am working on :)

I am interested to see what the reaction will be from the people at PDC. I know we here in Windows land are very excited to finally have customers getting their hands on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Man, I step away from the forums for a while and you guys start a thread discussing the very product I am working on

What part of it are you working on?

Well, PDC is over, and I have a Windows 7 dvd in my laptop bag that I'll be trying to set up on a VPC later. First impressions are pretty meh though. It looks like some good incremental improvements, but really nothing revolutionary. Some random thoughts on it:

-Mounting VHDs in the OS is a great feature, and booting from a VHD is even better. That being said, it's a feature that'll only get used by a very small group of people...

-Bitlocker on USB drives is a great idea, and it's about time, but I'm worried about what this will do to compatibility cross-platform

-The new taskbar (with the collapsed icons) will take some getting used to. I like the jump lists and the window management though.

-Sidebar gadgets on the desktop look kind of familiar somehow...

-Multi-touch...meh. Show me how it works when your kid smears peanut butter on the screen. The demo with autocad was cool, but for most apps, I'm not sold on touch interaction in the home.

If the OS can meet the performance specs that they're claiming though, then it'll certainly be an improvement over Vista. I get the impression that the Engineering pipeline has been cleaned up a lot.

I will say that the new task bar is an improvement over the current one in Vista. I think that's one area that Windows is long overdue for revision. Having icons for the open windows rather than titles makes a lot more sense and should make finding the right window a bit easier when you have a dozen plus windows open across several applications.

What part of it are you working on?

I work on a component of windows that is not really visible. For users of Vista, there is a new features called the Reliability Monitor which basically displays the reliability of your system over time. I work on the component that provides the reliability information. This reliability information is also sent up to Microsoft (for those machines which opt in) and is carefully monitored.

It was great getting to see all the reactions (good and bad) that came out of PDC. I have never worked on a product that is used by so many people before.

Well, I set the preview build up on a virtual machine, and so far it looks just like Vista. I'm not really going to do any hardcore testing with any of my apps until all of the shell changes are done, but so far it runs virtualized better than the Vista prereleases did. Only major problem so far is that 7 failed to boot if I tried installing the virtual machine additions on it, but it seemed to recover eventually.

Hopefully some of the fundamental problems with Vista are sorted out though. 2 years in, and I still can't print reliably from Vista, and my laptop keeps getting into this state where if the screen goes to a secure context (lock or UAC prompt) it's completely black (occasionally with a single button showing). Very annoying... This is not to mention the fact that installing VS 2008 SP1 required several Gb on my system partition (even though this isn't where VS is installed), and that the winsxs directory under Vista is up to 7.5 Gb. I know keeping every version of every DLL makes things safer, but this is getting more than a little ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

If you have the PDC win 7 build and want to check out some of the features that are strangely missing, have a look at this. Evidently, there's a registry hack that gives access to some of the incomplete features. There are still things that you can't do, but it's closer to the Windows 7 that was on display at the conference than the original install was.

• 3 weeks later...

Keith: Word is that many drivers work, but there are (currently) numerous ways to get them installed -- it's not consolidated yet. Luckily, it has a much much much better device manager that helps suss that out.

That all said, Win 7 isn't ready for primetime (obviously), but you better bet (or I certainly hope) they'll make sure the vast majority of devices work out of the box. Too much damage has been done with Vista for them to blow compatibility.

• 2 weeks later...

The Windows 7 folks botched this open beta. You will usually find me to be a Microsoft defender. But the way they hyped this release, then they just didn't release anything, posted a short message saying that they're adding capacity to their servers, then not saying another word until today, leaving hundreds of thousands of people hanging, just hitting refresh. Whomever was responsible for this open beta needs to get fired. Because Windows 7 has a lot of positive buzz in an environment where that is hard to come by, and then they lost a bit of that good will by not being courteous to the people who are interested in their product.

As a typical Microsoft defender, I just wanted to say that they deserve any hate coming their way for this particular case. I myself do not hold grudges. And with that....

I am installing Windows 7 now. I obtained it with no help from Microsoft. I torrented it. And I am installing it into Virtual PC from a virtual drive that I mounted from the ISO. And I think that is WAY cool that I can even do something like that. I'm a big virtual PC fan now.

I'll post impressions once it finishes. It is taking longer to install than I expected. But that might be related to Virtual PC or my virtual drive I created. I'm not sure.