LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

I noticed that iTunes has more of the features you find on disc then any other service. People say the quality is better too. But I only have an iPhone, though I would probably pick up an Apple TV. Amazon would be more convenient simply due to it being on Xbox and PlayStation, but man, I have never been too impressed with their streaming. I am not at all familiar with using Plex.

I signed up for Disney Anywhere the other day. It is great being able to link the different services and then having it available to play on any of them. Really wish more companies would follow suit.

Vudu lets you covert your existing discs to digital HD copies. $5 for DVD and $2 for blu ray, and if you do 10 at a time, it's 50% off. Many DVDs in my collection were not compatible however.

I have an extra key for CleanMyMac 3 if any of you want it; just PM me. It works fine with El Cap and is a great drive cleaner, app uninstaller and more.

Heh...got my Time Capsule switched out under warranty after the Apple store agreed the drive was probably corrupted.  It didn't fix the problem, it was probably perfectly fine.  Sigh.  Upgraded to El Capitan in a last ditch effort to fix it, which it did not.  I have had other problems that were unexplainable lately as well...Chrome was just completely broken for one.  So I finally bit the bullet and did a completely clean install.  Everything seems to be in order now, backups are working.  And yes, my favorite feature of El Capitan so far is simply all of the UI enhancements due to Metal...so much smoother.

I feel bad about swapping out the Time Capsule, but at the same time they didn't even try to diagnose the problem at all at the Apple store.  Just shrugged and were like "I guess it's broken?"

How to I stop el capitan trying to open up photos whenever my ipad or iphone is connected to the computer?

I've been meaning to answer this question for you, but I haven't had a chance until now. In the off chance you didn't just Google the answer...

Plug your iPhone into your Mac and open Image Capture. In the sidebar, you should see a little dropdown menu at the bottom that says, "Connecting this iPhone opens:" Select "No application" from the drop down menu and you should be good.

NOTE: If you don't see this option in your sidebar, click the little box with a triangle in it to bring it up.

I hope this helps! And if it doesn't, screw you!

I hope this helps! And if it doesn't, screw you!

Eh fuck you, buddeh!

.....That worked. Thanks. How silly that you have to open the Image Capture app in order to tell it not to open Photos app upon device connection.

Eh fuck you, buddeh!

I ain't your buddeh, fwiend!

.....That worked. Thanks. How silly that you have to open the Image Capture app in order to tell it not to open Photos app upon device connection.

It just works... in away that would never occur to you.
  • Like 1

Very keen to see how quickly Plex can roll out an App for the Apple TV.

As quiet as they've been lately, that might be basically all they are working on at the moment. 

As quiet as they've been lately, that might be basically all they are working on at the moment.

Funnily enough they have broken silence on the new Plex Media Player today, available as beta to Plex Pass members. It will replace Plex HT.

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/10/20/introducing-the-plex-media-player/

Presumably a TV app would be based on this as a jumping off point (albeit codec restricted).