LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

The Shortcuts app has a pretty good amount of functionality if you know what you’re doing. People have made some pretty complex things, and even a few small games through the prompts you can activate. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts

The Shortcuts Subreddit has some cool ideas and interesting ones you can download. One of my faves is “Getting pulled over by police”. Not that I need it, but it’s just fun. 

• Like 2

Shortcuts have been pretty cool for me so far. Nothing too involved but, quick easy export of playlists from one service to another, setting lights and stuff at home as I arrive - nice stuff. Now that Waze is CarPlay compatible I need to create one to load it up for speed cameras and then switch to Apple/Google for turn by turn...

23 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'd like to try the shortcuts but I refuse to talk out loud to Siri.

Me every night:

"Hey Siri, turn off lights."

Beep, boop.

"HEY SIRI... TURN OFF LIGHTS."

Beep? Boop.

"HEY SIRI... ahh, fuck it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'd like to try the shortcuts but I refuse to talk out loud to Siri.

You can access them manually through the app, place them on the home screen like an app and through widgets also.

Oh that's clever. I've only recently got round to making use of the old feature of turning webpages into an app (I now have one for the forum for example). I'll try that as my 6 pre-dates "hey siri" anyway, though my iPad works with it. 

Users without 3D Touch (Dan) now have access to the keyboard cursor movement in ios12. Tap and told the spacebar to activate it. One of my favourite 3D Touch features I forget to use. 

Don’t think you have flashlight brightness yet though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Graeme said:

The Shortcuts app has a pretty good amount of functionality if you know what you’re doing. People have made some pretty complex things, and even a few small games through the prompts you can activate. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts

The Shortcuts Subreddit has some cool ideas and interesting ones you can download. One of my faves is “Getting pulled over by police”. Not that I need it, but it’s just fun. 

Oh damn. I’m starting to get shortcuts. 👍🏽Brilliant 

On 9/17/2018 at 6:30 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Strangely one app where 1Password isn't working with autofill for is eBay, which I think always had native 1 Password support but clicking the icon in the sign in tab does nothing. Works brilliantly with other apps though. 

I use LastPass, but my god, the iOS 12 updates + FaceID integration is just wonderful. One tap on the entry, LastPass opens, FaceID immediately unlocks the entry, and you are on your way.  And it's very quick!

• Like 1

I never used a watch at my old job because I did not want to break it . Now that I have a desk job I want one. Sooooo Apple Watch 4 is on the way :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Magness said:

Nice Joey - post some pics once you get it :)

Will do. I stopped by the Apple store yesterday to look at them, and decided to go with the 44mm. 40mm was much smaller in comparison. I wanted the silver with black band, but neither apples stores  or BB around here had it. 

• Like 1

Silver and black looks great IMO and yea, I’ve stuck with the 42 size on my Series 0 and Series 3 so I think the 44 is the natural extension of that with the new design. Larger screen without feeling oversized and a slightly bigger battery :)

Nice man - the Hermès look really cool and especially the stainless steel with a tan leather band. I have a stitched tan leather band (not Hermès) on mine as well and love it with the copper-gold color on the S3.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:14 AM, Magness said:

Nice man - the Hermès look really cool and especially the stainless steel with a tan leather band. I have a stitched tan leather band (not Hermès) on mine as well and love it with the copper-gold color on the S3.

I went to the Hermes store and checked out the different bands.  I was actually set on getting the darker band but after trying it out, I decided to get the tan instead.  However, they did not have any in stock.  I'm quite surprised by how many people are buying these.  I kept checking Apple online and finally one of their Higher end stores had it in stock so I purchased it right away for pick up.

Really enjoying the watch right now.  The Apple pay is very convenient and have been using it for everything.  Also, I like using it when purchasing stuff at StarBucks.

The workout feature is quite nice.  Was out for a walk and it automatically started recording and asked me if I wanted to continue the activity.

Apple also released 12.0.1 which fixed connectivity issues on the Xs Max.  After updating, my phone instantly connected to 5Ghz for the very first time.  Glad their making changes quick!

• Like 1

Nice :) I love the AW and between Maps use for directions (walking, driving, silent, etc) and Apple Music streaming its invaluable; let alone fitness features, messages and everything else. 

Curious to see if any (still hypothetical) new iMacs have the new 9xxx Intel chips. Intel are talking of shortages which might mean Apple fall back on the 2018 CPU’s, if indeed we even get bew iMacs before the year is out.

With the new chips having soldered heatspreaders which could be beneficial inside the cramped iMac body, and with them also having hardware protection against meltdown/spectre, it would seem preferable to have the latest ones I’d have thought.

Perhaps targeting Spring for iMacs would be better. AMDs Polaris 30 GPUs are rumoured to be announced any day now (a minor 570 bump in October and a 580 bunp in November). The iMac itself sure could do with a re-design too, at least to slim down the bezel. Would be nice to see the heatsink from the pro in the regular models too.

So i got the watch. It is very nice. However I am having an issue with not only getting notifications to work properly, but also raise the speak to Siri

I know the mic and Siri are working, as it works with the crown. I also did a phone call with my brother, and it was crystal clear. Searching on some forums it seems like a lot of people are having an issue with this. 

I did get notifications going , I think.

• Like 1

Congrats Joey - got Siri working on it? I use the raise to speak on mine and it’s incredibly good and useful. Depending on the task she’s a little slow from the Watch though so the usefulness depends I guess. Playing music or turning on lights is quick enough but, other stuff like “convert this to that” or “remind me at a location” type tasks take a min before they complete. Still, it’s nice if my hands are full or something to just lift up my wrist and say turn on the living room lights or message Elena that I’m heading out in a minute or something like that.

For what it’s worth, I initially set my Watch to mimic the iPhone for notifcations and I think that’s a great starting point but, over time I started removing and/or editing them to customize what I use on the Watch. The sheer number of notifications was overwhelming at first :) but, it’s much more usable now. There are some that I personally don’t think are useful on the Watch but, that will depend on how you guys use yours of course. For me, it was stuff like Facebook - the notifications are quick to read but, I can’t usually do any actions that I want to do from the Watch so I removed those. Others like Stand or Breathe reminders I do find useful but, I changed the intervals of how often you get them, weekly summary’s, etc.

I also use DND mode at night because that thump on the wrist from the Watch is VERY good and “pronounced” (for lack of a better term). It makes for a great silent alarm but, too many notifications might wake you up inadvertently.

I got Siri with raise to speak  to work once last night. Going to try again today. Everything else so far is perfect. I already shut down notifications for non essential stuff :)

• Like 1

Really enjoying the watch quite a bit.  It's great for workouts.  Actually, the workouts app is quite impressive.  I ended up getting a set of Airpods as they were on sale at WalMart.  Was quite impressed at the sound quality.  Didn't think they would sound good but they are not bad at all.  I like being able to switch easily from using my phone to listening to music on the watch.

My biggest disappointment is finding out that there's no spotify for the watch. :(

• Like 1