LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Part 2...

I unplugged then plugged in again and to my surprise it completed the re-installation. I added no apps and simply began navigating the settings UI before it went dead again with no signal and the constant LED blinking. Something is definitely fried on the PSU or mainboard methinks.

Tried four different cables and every HDMI port on the TV, yes. As I say it’s infuriating the support app has no direct genius bar booking options for ATV faults as it means having to phone Apple and presumably have them ask me 101 “have you tried...” questions before they will book me an appointment.

Just now, Angry the Clown said:

Part 2...

I unplugged then plugged in again and to my surprise it completed the re-installation. I added no apps and simply began navigating the settings UI before it went dead again with no signal and the constant LEd blinking. Something is definitely fried on the PSU or mainboard methinks.

Yeah that is what it sounds like. Wonder if the ram in it was faulty, as that causes resets in PCs. I once had bad ram in a pc that drove me nuts.

At least it died after I watched my iTunes purchases of the old animated Grinch cartoon and It’s a Wonderful Life. Ruined plans to watch some of my other 4k purchases over the coming days though. I’ll phone Apple in the morning and see how quick I can get an appointment. 

• Like 1

Great call early this morning with Apple. They happily let me explain everything I had tried without asking me two dozen questions. The fellow I spoke to did think it sounded like a hardware fault after I explained everything so I’m booked in at a Genius Bar on Saturday afternoon. Hopefully they’ll just do me a straight swap for a new once since I only bought mine two weeks ago.

• Like 3

Mine should be delivered on Friday. Getting the 64GB as in the end it’s costing me the same as the 32. 

Currently trying to understand the confusion of what I own; some titles (eg Inception) show as SD in Windows iTunes, but 4k on the phone and Dolby Vision in the store. So no idea whether I get it at full quality or not. Don’t know whether I can pay to upgrade if it isn’t, either. 

Set mine up this morning - seems to work well enough. Not a fair test as different films, but while the image is bloody gorgeous overall, I didn’t find the grain on The Living Daylights to be quite as crisp as my UHD of Labyrinth, which is a similar age. Does make it less attention-seeking, I guess. 

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Heading home from my Genius Bar appointment with a new ATV to try. Second time lucky? 

sooooooooooo?????

1 hour ago, iainl said:

Set mine up this morning - seems to work well enough. Not a fair test as different films, but while the image is bloody gorgeous overall, I didn’t find the grain on The Living Daylights to be quite as crisp as my UHD of Labyrinth, which is a similar age. Does make it less attention-seeking, I guess. 

Not sure it’s a fair comparison. Film stocks could be different between them for a start. I’ve also suspected for a while that Sony sharpen their discs a little (or in Fifth Element’s case, a lot), which may be why grain is often so pronounced on certain Sony catalogue titles. Also HDR, which the Bonds lack of course, does also seem to add some funk to grain and exacerbate it somewhat (Jonathan Nolan even seemed to confirm this when discussing the scanning and HDR mastering of Westworld. They didn’t like the 4k HDR tests they did from the film negatives so they scanned at 2k instead).

I would expect some noise reduction on iTunes streams purely due to the limited bitrates though, and even the very nature of the low bitrates is going to mask finer details and grain structures regardless or DNR or not. Also, there could well be some DNR at the mastering stage on the Bonds (if Lowry we’re responsible for all of them as they were the dozen or so 4k masters done for some of the Blu-rays then there most certainly will be, but I think every film must surely have some noise reduction applied at some stage when these kinds of new masters get made, it just varies on how agressive it might be). 

I like what I sampled of Living Daylights. Had the Blu-ray not pre-dated the 4k scan and been downsampled from the same master it would probably look remarkably similar, but since the Blu is from an older master and iTunes from a more recent one the stream wins out (the colour timing is much more balanced and film like). Shame about the prices of the others as I’d have compared some of the Blus that did come from 4k masters with the 4k stream to see if we’re actually getting more detail in these low bitrate 2160p streams.

The fact that I put it on for two minutes to see what it looked like, and only forced myself to stop after the bit at Not Sarrat Honestly says a lot for how good it is.

It’s also nowhere near as vivid as Labyrinth (intentionally, obv) but the HDR Pass is likely to be making the big difference, yes. 

I'm really wanting to get a pair of Airpods, but not sure since they are likely to get refreshed soon. As far as I know, an actual redesign isn't likely until next year, but something with the charging case may change early this year? Anyone heard anything different?

I thought the re-design was supposed to be this year, following what was apparently going to be the charging box variation rumoured for last year. Perhaps they opted to delay an interim update given how well the mk1 models are selling in favour of rolling updates into one later in 2019?

I’m still on the fence about wireless headphones, but I am quite curious about the pods.

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

I'm really wanting to get a pair of Airpods, but not sure since they are likely to get refreshed soon. As far as I know, an actual redesign isn't likely until next year, but something with the charging case may change early this year? Anyone heard anything different?

Rumors were that AirPower got figured out and is now in production.  I would expect the new AirPod Case to come out with that.  

But I also read the redesigned AirPods were rumored for next year.  

• Like 1

I’ve read the same predictions here - love the AirPods and highly recommend them but, I think the wireless charging case is coming in a few months alongside AirPower so may be prudent to wait for March if you can (just a guess) and I’ve read the redesigned airpods are more likely for next year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is the ATV rumoured to get an official Twitch app at any point?

They have never said anything. Amazon owns them, so I thought after we finally got a Prime app, it would not be far behind, but nope. I just AirPlay if I have to.

Thanks. Hope it happens as I miss out on a lot of game developer streams that use Twitch these days (notable Media Molecule) as I just never think to check in on the iPad app regularly.

Think this truly has to be the year that I replace my iPhone 6. Performance has been feeling incredibly sluggish switching between apps, and even in Safari these past few weeks. 

I’m uncertain what I will do on the iPad Pro and Mac front. Difficult to forsee being able to afford all three this year, despite my MBP starting to show its age now. My 9.7” iPad Pro is still speedy, but I long for the larger display now. We’ll have to see how the year plays out and what the 2019 product updates bring. Hopefully we’re not too far from an iMac refresh.