LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

I think the laptops will get a re-design with the iMacs next year. It's time, and again the Mac Pro seems like it's going to lead the way for changes we see trickle down to the product line up now that Apple seem to have assembled a number of industry professionals as consultants on a permanent basis. I'd like to see the 17" MBP make a comeback. 

I do also wonder when we're going to see Macs Switch to ARM. With Intel lagging behind Apple's expectations, and the processors in iOS devices performing spectacularly, one has to wonder just what Apple are achieving behind closed doors testing desktop class ARM chips. It doesn't feel like we'll be more than two years from finding out. 

• Like 1

My prediction is that they will be in Macs in the next 2 years but, as co-processors (like the T2 chips today). You could argue that under Steve they would have made a hard cutover but, I don’t think Tim would. Just my impression but, I see a more measured transition with a12X or whatever as a co-processor to handle certain tasks and save battery life, etc. before they drop intel chips altogether. 

45 minutes ago, Magness said:

My prediction is that they will be in Macs in the next 2 years but, as co-processors (like the T2 chips today). You could argue that under Steve they would have made a hard cutover but, I don’t think Tim would. Just my impression but, I see a more measured transition with a12X or whatever as a co-processor to handle certain tasks and save battery life, etc. before they drop intel chips altogether. 

That would be interesting. I don't know nearly enough about the technicalities, but could such an approach feasibly help mitigate the short term damage to developers having to adapt their software to ARM over x86?

It’s just a guess but, with any change in architecture like that I think Apple would update an underlying framework to do the work for them (like a new version of Metal) or release a new UI Kit (or something similar) to assist devs in porting apps. 

I live on my MacBook Pro. I have two of them in case one goes down for any reason, like a stuck Y key most recently did. I am so excited by the rumors for the new MBP.  My team uses a mix of Dell 13” XPS and Surface Laptop 2 and both of those products have good keyboards, screens, and absolutely shit trackpads. 

I have the new Mac Mini, it replaced my older Mini as my HTPC, Plex, music, etc server and, while I only “tinker” with app development it has been a great machine so far with no trouble on 4K. I agree with Marco’s statement that it seems like they are listening and this Mini was the 1st Mini since 2012 (IMO) that was a solid all-round improvement over the previous model. For work I use the 13” MBP and it’s a solid machine but, I’m not a fan of the keyboard and the touchbar is just not used by enough apps to be a feature really. I really don’t think it’s an improvement on the older 2014 Retina MBP I was using so, I would be thrilled with a revamp of the MBP line - bring it on. 

What put me off the Mini in the end having followed comments from those hoping they could regularly use one for higher end work like they would a decent iMac is that it’s just held back too much by the fact it’s the same old enclosure as before as the i7 gets hot fast under an average load, then naturally gets throttled to compensate.

My findings regarding eGPU’s also didn’t convince me the concept is ready for prime time due to mixed software support and the slower speeds at which eGPU’s perform. 

Minis should start as a cheap point of entry into Mac with just an intel chip at the low end, while offering the exact same configuration options as a top spec iMac at the high end. It’s a shame the rumours of the Mini getting bigger never turned out to be true as it might have allowed that to happen, unless that’s the plan for 2020 but I doubt it. 

I do think my next Mac will be a re-designed iMac or iMac Pro. It would depend how they differ as we know it never takes long for top spec Intel i chips to catch up to Xeons that end up in base Pro models (the i9 iMac can best the 8 core iMac pro on a number of tasks), so I’d need to see what else a new iMac Pro might offer in design, cooling (currently better in iMac Pro), potential user configurability (zilch in the iMac Pro, better in current iMacs), internal speaker quality (currently better in iMac Pro) and i/o (currently better in iMac Pro) to help me justify paying for 10 or 12 cores. 

The fact I’d quite like to run run windows for gaming under bootcamp may sway me more to an i9 iMac redesign seeing as Xeons really aren’t meant for consumer tasks but we’ll see. That’s not a massive priority as I’m still open to building a mid end gaming PC in a small case someday, particularly with Gamepass on PC now.

9to5Mac detailed look at iPadOS:

It really does look fantastic. Again if the photo editing software I use were on iPad it would mean an iPad could sufficiently do pretty much everything I do on my Macbook Pro and my ideal combination of a desktop for heavier tasks and a tablet would at last be achievable.

The OS no longer holds back the hardware. It’s going to be incredibly exciting to see how it evolves in the years to come too.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, are there alternatives for your photo editing software that are available on the iPad? Or promised updates for iPadOS - anything like that? Just curious… In my case for video and UC apps pretty much nothing has been promised an update for iPadOS yet but, I wouldn’t be surprised to see all of them updated in someway before the end of the year. 

17 hours ago, Magness said:

Out of curiosity, are there alternatives for your photo editing software that are available on the iPad? Or promised updates for iPadOS - anything like that? Just curious… In my case for video and UC apps pretty much nothing has been promised an update for iPadOS yet but, I wouldn’t be surprised to see all of them updated in someway before the end of the year. 

I could use Lightroom on iOS/iPadOS, but I’m moving away from the Adobe ecosystem entirely having been gradually moving away from their software for a couple of years now (I ditched Lightroom long ago and would now sooner use Affinity Photo and Designer over Photoshop and Illustrator, both of which are on iPad as well as Mac).

The thing for me is consistency across devices, and particularly with photographic work I’d like to be working with the same RAW processor and editing tools. Phase typically respond with “we do not comment on unannounced products” when asked about Capture One for iPad, at least depending on who’s running social media on the day you ask. Some people get a blunt “no plans” response. 

My hope is they are working on it, or might finally start working on it now that iPadOS will fully support camera connectivity and external storage access. Honestly I don’t even need a 1:1 port of the software, the iPad GPU would probably struggle, but a “lite” version allowing tethering and basic edits ahead of you then finishing work on the main desktop version would be enough to satisfy me.

I think it’ll happen, especially with Capture One finding more customers these days, and more people pissed at recent Adobe price hikes (you don’t have to subscribe to C1 either) you’d think they’d see the value of having an iPad partner app as Lightroom offers. It’s software with a steep learning curve but I just won’t use anything else these days. They’re a small company though so I doubt an iPadOS release would come quickly.

I hope we see more video software come to iPad. Again I am surprised we don’t have a Final Cut X variant on there yet. An iPad DaVinci Resolve or Avid app would be great (again, even if watered down to allow basic work to be done In the field before finishing up on a desktop system).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I could use Lightroom on iOS/iPadOS, but I’m moving away from the Adobe ecosystem entirely having been gradually moving away from their software for a couple of years now (I ditched Lightroom long ago and would now sooner use Affinity Photo and Designer over Photoshop and Illustrator, both of which are on iPad as well as Mac).

I think it’ll happen, especially with Capture One finding more customers these days, and more people pissed at recent Adobe price hikes (you don’t have to subscribe to C1 either) you’d think they’d see the value of having an iPad partner app as Lightroom offers. It’s software with a steep learning curve but I just won’t use anything else these days. They’re a small company though so I doubt an iPadOS release would come quickly.

I think it's only a matter of time before the other options we have become more solid alternatives. One thing that's kept me with Lightroom recently is Adobe products read the baked in lens profile of the new Nikon Z's. The only other software that does that is Nikon's own official ones and I don't want to use those. 

32 minutes ago, Magness said:

Affinity Photo seems to be one of the big ones. They also have a DAM in the works. I think ETA for that is a ways off though. 

38 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I think it's only a matter of time before the other options we have become more solid alternatives. One thing that's kept me with Lightroom recently is Adobe products read the baked in lens profile of the new Nikon Z's. The only other software that does that is Nikon's own official ones and I don't want to use those. 

On the surface I still like Lightroom's Library a little more, but Capture One's is actually more intuitive once you wrap your head around it. So the catalogue can be fiddly at first, but other than that I love the ability to configure the entire workspace in C1, I love the colour management tools, I love that I can use layers, and I much prefer their RAW processor to Adobe's. Steep learning curve as I say, but I really do love it. 

C1 just added Z lens profiling in today's 12.1 update btw. :) 

Lens support 

Fujifilm

• FUJINON XF23mm F1.4 R

Canon

• Canon RF 28-70mm F2 L USM

Nikon

• NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S*
  • NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S*
  • NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S*
  • NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S*
  • NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S*

*Lens profile is embedded in the RAW file and will show as ‘Manufacturer Profile’

https://www.captureone.com/~/media/captureone-com/features/service-release/capture-one-12-1-0-release-notes.ashx?la=en

30 day trial if you want to give it a demo. You can either subscribe or buy it outright (I opted to buy a licence).

35 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Affinity Photo seems to be one of the big ones. They also have a DAM in the works. I think ETA for that is a ways off though. 

I think Affinity are doing great work. Thanks to Capture One I so rarely need to go into Photoshop for anything these days, so Affinity Photo can happily take its place for minor tasks, and I think Affinity have actually improved on Illustrator with Affinity Design. Add to that the lack of subscription model and iPad apps already available and they're a terrific alternative. I'm actually grabbing Affinity Design this weekend as it's currently on sale in celebration of the launch of their Publisher desktop app. 

Taking notes here in case I leave (or lose) my job. We use almost all Adobe tools, and a nice side benefit is that, because Adobe allows two installs per subscription, I have the entire suite installed at home as well. I doubt I’d pay for that out of my own pocket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

C1 just added Z lens profiling in today's 12.1 update btw. :) 

Nikon

• NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S*
  • NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S*
  • NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S*
  • NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S*
  • NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S*

*Lens profile is embedded in the RAW file and will show as ‘Manufacturer Profile’

Oh sweet! I was doubtful it was the actual Nikon profiles and then they state that's exactly what they are.

• Like 1

Head to their official YouTube channel if you need help getting to know the UI and how things work. David has loads of tutorials and webinars available.

• Like 1

Funny. I’ve had a lot of Capture One responses to customers regarding C1 for iPad in my Twitter timeline this week, including another just an hour ago. iPadOS' features really seems to have increased demand. They seem quite friendly in regularly acknowledging the demand and keep telling people they've forwarded requests to the development team. 

I really hope it happens next year. CaptureOne 13 should land in Dec, but I think that would be too soon to expect iPad app as well, and obviously iPadOS will not be public until September/October anyway. It depends how long they might have been working on it as I’m still not sure serious consideration would have been given before last week when we finally got direct camera connection and external storage support for iPads confirmed. That's why I was interested in Catalyst and whether it worked both ways in making it easier for MacOS apps to move to mobile, so it's a shame that is in fact a one way street for iOS > MacOS. 

• Like 1

Stumbled upon this video on Youtube that reveals a bunch of iOS13 features/changes I had not heard much about or not heard about at all:

• Like 1

I wonder if Apple Maps has cycling directions yet. I end up using Google Maps a lot because it has this feature. It's long overdue.

My wife who is on a 2013 Mac Pro and runs Logic Pro and Native Instruments Komplete just came into my office and said “I read there’s a new Mac Pro coming out, I need it.” I told her how much it cost and she was like ok can we get it this weekend. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16" re-designed Macbook Pro rumours are kicking around again for a Sept launch. Really curious why 16" and not going back to the old days of offering 17". There were rumours it would be OLED which would surely be fucking awful for a computer display. The latest is that it will thankfully be LCD based, and 3072x1920 resolution with a new processor. I wonder if this could be a mobile XEON based notebook.

Almost installed the public beta of iPad OS, but think Im going to wait until the next version at least. Got the profile installed though.

23 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

16" re-designed Macbook Pro rumours are kicking around again for a Sept launch. Really curious why 16" and not going back to the old days of offering 17". There were rumours it would be OLED which would surely be fucking awful for a computer display. The latest is that it will thankfully be LCD based, and 3072x1920 resolution with a new processor. I wonder if this could be a mobile XEON based notebook.

The MacBook Pro version of the new Mac Pro would be interesting to see Apple design a kitchen sink laptop again.