LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

I put the iPadOS Beta on my 11 inch Pro and holy shit is it awesome so far :) Obviously it’s a beta and there are a few bugs I’ve already come across (Safari crashing when using dictation, music app not showing the current song playing on home screen, etc) but, its just the first day. For the most part it’s working great and I’m not sure I would switch back despite this just being Beta 1...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Macbook Pro... Pro?

The MXP, MacBook Xtreme Pro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Macbook Pro... Pro?

MacBook Pro+

Everything is “Plus” nowadays. It’s the new lowercase “i”. 

• Like 2

I don’t think it will change much in the short term. Surely they’ve a good five years of products in the concept stages already, and they claim they still intend to outsource to him for some projects. I would expect complete iMac and Macbook re-designs, and at least one more generation of phone and watch designs, to have his influence. 

• Like 1

My employees put iOS 13 PB1 on their phones and were taking about how good it was so I did the same. It’s pretty solid, I’ve mostly ran into issues with alignment. There are so many little things that make it a great improvement over iOS 12. 

• Like 1

I’ve used iPadOS for a little over a week now and even though it’s a beta, I don’t think I could go back. Desktop pages on iPad alone is probably worth it. It’s also better with ad blocking too - noticeably better I would say - on pages that embed the ads between photos in a gallery like the Chive or Bored Panda and I’m getting maybe 1 out of 10 sites prompting to “accept notifications” where this was 7 out of 10 before. Love it

• Like 1

I don’t know if I’d sooner have an iPad in my life again or replace my phone first. I just don’t think I can go another year with the 6, especially with it now rendered obsolete due to incompatibility with iOS13.

Rumours would seem to indicate that next year is the better year to wait for an iPhone update, but I suppose I am in a minority having had a 6 for so long that anything is going to be better for me after so many years.

Since the updated camera is one of the major attractions to me it also doesn’t seem worth my getting a currently available model given the notable sensor and lens improvements due this September (and provided you don’t care about the square protrusion on the back of this year’s phones it sounds like the main selling point is going to be the camera and little else).

On the flipside I am not liking the growing rumours that the next wave of higher end iPads could be OLED based and would sooner have a current model if that transition were to happen.

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I don’t know if I’d sooner have an iPad in my life again or replace my phone first. I just don’t think I can go another year with the 6, especially with it now rendered obsolete due to incompatibility with iOS13.

Rumours would seem to indicate that next year is the better year to wait for an iPhone update, but I suppose I am in a minority having had a 6 for so long that anything is going to be better for me after so many years.

5 years now? That's a pretty good run. I'm with the others - I would go for a phone refresh.

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

On the flipside I am not liking the growing rumours that the next wave of higher end iPads could be OLED based and would sooner have a current model if that transition were to happen.

you would prefer LCD? What is going on with OLEDS and Apple?

The man’s rocking a five-year-old telephone; I wouldn’t recommend he use OLED for the display of static UI elements on a computer either. 

1 hour ago, AlbertA said:

you would prefer LCD? What is going on with OLEDS and Apple?

Apple’s use of OLED in the iPhones has been very good. As far as burn in/retention goes they are said to rank very highly in independent tests as they have apparently shown 17 hours use running a single image before any damage occurs (and over 500 before it becomes seriously noticeable in use).

So I have no concerns on the phones, but on an iPad I’d be more concerned as the usage would be very different with static images displayed for a lot longer due to the different types of use vs a phone. Apps would be open a lot longer on a tablet for productivity use, and things like the forthcoming sidecar in MacOS.

As well as the belief the phones do what the TVs do and run an internal cleaning cycle on the panel, it’s assumed on the phones that Apple also have pixel shift/orbiting built into iOS, which is fine but on an iPad I wonder if that could affect the pencil accuracy in any way. Bottom line is if iPad Pros switched to OLED I’d want to wait a while until enough testing had been done.

It may not even happen anyway, but the rumours are claiming iPad Pros, and even that 16” Macbook Pro, may be going that way. I love OLED on consumption devices, but don’t really want it on productivity devices. HonestIy I don’t think iPad Pros need to get even more expensive either, and OLED is merely a stopgap until we get to micro LED someday.

just saw this funny article at arstechica about FaceTime in iOS 13. Apple is using the depth mapping of the user's face and AR kit to shift the direction of gaze from the screen to make it look as if you are looking directly at the camera. It's simultaneously creepy and brilliant.

Here is a video that reveals how the trick works:

https://twitter.com/schukin/status/1146359923158089728

• Like 1

This is such a weird one but kind of cool. In videoconferencing and unified communications technology Microsoft, Polycom and other companies have been doing something like this (maintaining eye contact via software) for a few years now but none of them are really successful. For the most part they simply crop and zoom or shift the video image itself and it’s more distracting than anything. Apple’s version using the face map and ARKit Is the most successful I’ve seen personally despite it being a beta. It is a little creepy :) but, it genuinely looks like it’s maintaining eye contact which is really impressive. 

Not for an iPad, which I'd mainly do consumery things on, but the new Dell XPS offers an OLED option they claim covers DCI-P3, and I can see how that would be well worth the risk of burn-in for people wanting a small, light wide-gamut device.

13 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

just saw this funny article at arstechica about FaceTime in iOS 13. Apple is using the depth mapping of the user's face and AR kit to shift the direction of gaze from the screen to make it look as if you are looking directly at the camera. It's simultaneously creepy and brilliant.

Here is a video that reveals how the trick works:

https://twitter.com/schukin/status/1146359923158089728

How much longer until we have real-time deepfake in iOS?

• Haha 1