Jump to content
LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

If I did opt for an XS, the best I can see is a 64GB for £949, which is £50 less than from Apple. I can get about £110 in cash from a third party over the counter sale on my 6. It's probably still better to just wait and get the 11. I'd expect my 6 to be worth even less by the end of September, but the difference would probably be made up by the extra value I'd get trading/selling an 11 for a 12 next year vs trading an XS for a 12 next year.

 

 

Have commenced the veeeerry long process of shifting my photo library to iCloud. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Have commenced the veeeerry long process of shifting my photo library to iCloud. 

I’m going to be very interested in hearing how this goes for you and your workflow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kelley said:

I’m going to be very interested in hearing how this goes for you and your workflow. 

 

Yeah it may take a while to figure out my Instagram workflow now with imported images from my real camera. We’ll see. I always edit images from my camera at the computer, then web export to dropbox so they can be downloaded to my phone and run through a little app that lets me add a border before uploading to IG.

 

Space wise settings now shows that I have 42.6 of 64GB used, and 8.61 of 50GB iCloud used. ‘Other’ now seems to be the biggest content hog on my phone and that being so vague I’m unsure how to reduce it as I don’t know what it refers to.

 

*edit* Actually it seems to show the 8.61 used by iCloud drive as part of my 64GB which is weird. So do I in fact have 33.99GB free?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn. I hadn’t anticipated Apple reductions for Prime Day. 64GB XS is down to £849 (knock another 90-100 off if I sell the 6 so I’d be looking at around £750). 

 

Guys?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's pretty sensible, yes. Brings the XS down to about the list price of an XR if you want to justify it to yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup.

 

Done. Look at me being all sensible! Should have it tomorrow. ☺️

 

Just got the code through to unlock my 6 as well so I can probably sell that on Wednesday (will need to source a SIM for another network though. Should be able to ask Carphone Warehouse to put one in to unlock it for me). Need to pick out a case and get the damn lightening/headphone dongle. 

  • Like 2
  • Epic Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Done. Look at me being all sensible! Should have it tomorrow. ☺️

 

Congrats. I really love my XS. I think you will as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. At the price I can get it for, especially after I sell the 6 and recoup a little more, it made a lot more sense than waiting for the 11’s added bells and whistles.

 

It’s more likely I will jump to an 11S in 2020 than it might had I waited for the 11, but that’s fine as I want to be on the S rotation as I've said. It really depends on what changes are rolled into the 11 (and consequently 11S) that might make the 11S appealing next year. 5G is way behind camera/lens advances and them maybe going usb-c in 2020 for me. I don’t mind the notch so that possibly going or being reduced in size in 2020 wouldn’t be a big draw for me either. It’ll be interesting to see what they do.

 

XS will be lightyears ahead of what I’m used to and iOS13 will feel like another upgrade again I suspect. My 6 has been especially bad today, perhaps out of spite having ordered its replacement. 

 

I took too long deciding on a folio case so that won’t be here until Wednesday, but phone and dongle on track for tomorrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

XS will be lightyears ahead of what I’m used to and iOS13 will feel like another upgrade again I suspect. My 6 has been especially bad today, perhaps out of spite having ordered its replacement. 

 

It is legitimately frightening how much I use my XS for things now, my 2015 MBP is getting used less and less, even when sitting around the house, I only use my iMac at length when I am having breakfast in the mornings. I’ve become one of “those” people. The speed, screen size / res, FaceID, etc have made it ideal for so many use cases now where using a laptop or desktop feels clunky and has too many steps.

 

If I didn’t use my other work MBP for development, I could just about go without a laptop these days most of the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, secretvampire said:

 

It is legitimately frightening how much I use my XS for things now, my 2015 MBP is getting used less and less, even when sitting around the house, I only use my iMac at length when I am having breakfast in the mornings. I’ve become one of “those” people. The speed, screen size / res, FaceID, etc have made it ideal for so many use cases now where using a laptop or desktop feels clunky and has too many steps.

 

If I didn’t use my other work MBP for development, I could just about go without a laptop these days most of the time.

 

Allegedly next year the phone sizes are changing to 6.7,” 6.1,” and 5.4” (all OLED) and I have to say when trying them in store I find the XS at 5.8” to be a nice sweet spot on size and don’t feel they should change it.

 

The XR at 6.1” feels too big to me, but if I do start finding myself using the XS a lot for productivity it will be interesting to see if I suddenly start thinking about going to 6.1” in 2020 (if indeed the size rumours are true). That said, I’d also like to have an iPad again next year, a 12.9” Pro, which may cancel out desire for a bigger phone. It’d be interesting if 2020 phones got pencil support as that would perhaps make a larger model more desirable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, secretvampire said:

 

It is legitimately frightening how much I use my XS for things now, my 2015 MBP is getting used less and less, even when sitting around the house, I only use my iMac at length when I am having breakfast in the mornings. I’ve become one of “those” people. The speed, screen size / res, FaceID, etc have made it ideal for so many use cases now where using a laptop or desktop feels clunky and has too many steps.

 

If I didn’t use my other work MBP for development, I could just about go without a laptop these days most of the time.

 

You sound a lot like my wife. She bought an iPhone XR last holiday season, upgrading from an iPhone SE. Since then, I think she’s used her MacBook Pro less and less because she can do just about everything she wants — email, web browsing, podcasts, music, games, ebooks, etc. — on the phone more easily because of the bigger screen. 

 

I don’t see her use the MBP very often these days, and I get notifications from BackBlaze telling me that her computer hasn’t been seen for two weeks (or more). That tells me that she’s not on it very often. Granted, it’s an old MacBook Pro — one of the pre-Retina models with the built-in SuperDrive — so she may not be very enthusiastic about using it anymore. Still, before she bought her new phone, she was on her laptop almost all the time when she was home.

 

What’s interesting is that she has never been a big fan of the iPad. I gave her a couple hand-me-down iPads in the past, but she always preferred her laptop, so they never got used.

 

However, that changed recently with a family vacation to Chicago. At first she was planning on bringing her MBP so she’d have a computer to use on the trip. A day or two before we left, I reminded her that I still had my 10.5-inch iPad Pro lying around and suggested she bring that instead since it was so much thinner and lighter. She agreed it was a good idea and has been using the iPad pretty regularly ever since. I don’t think she’s using it as much as the phone, but she is using it more than the laptop.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

Allegedly next year the phone sizes are changing to 6.7,” 6.1,” and 5.4” (all OLED) and I have to say when trying them in store I find the XS at 5.8” to be a nice sweet spot on size and don’t feel they should change it.

 

The XR at 6.1” feels too big to me, but if I do start finding myself using the XS a lot for productivity it will be interesting to see if I suddenly start thinking about going to 6.1” in 2020 (if indeed the size rumours are true). That said, I’d also like to have an iPad again next year, a 12.9” Pro, which may cancel out desire for a bigger phone. It’d be interesting if 2020 phones got pencil support as that would perhaps make a larger model more desirable.

 

Part of the reason why I wanted the XS over the XR was that it was roughly the same size as my iPhone 7 in the hand. The screen was naturally bigger because of the edge-to-edge screen, but it would still fit in my hand roughly the same way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Allegedly next year the phone sizes are changing to 6.7,” 6.1,” and 5.4” (all OLED) and I have to say when trying them in store I find the XS at 5.8” to be a nice sweet spot on size and don’t feel they should change it.

 

XS is definitely the perfect size in my book now that they have the edge-to-edge screen. Anything bigger would be awkward to stick in my pocket and use, even with my larger hands. 

 

22 minutes ago, JFo said:

What’s interesting is that she has never been a big fan of the iPad. I gave her a couple hand-me-down iPads in the past, but she always preferred her laptop, so they never got used.

 

Me neither, to be honest. They have always been pretty awkward for me to use on a day-to-day basis. With the screen size on the XS, I am comfortable reading on it for long periods (and fits better in my hand) and even when I travel, I prefer it for watching things in tight airplane seats. My iPad mini really only gets used for my daughter to occasionally watch things on air trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn’t agree more on the in-hand size - I think the XS at 5.8 is just perfect. Still fits in my pocket and I can still use it one handed for most things but, big enough that I find it WAY more usable than the old design. Not sure I would switch to a 6.1 size model either but, I really can’t see myself switching down to 5.4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that mystery 5.4" screen ends up being roughly SE sized but with the screen coverage of the current range, I think I've found what would get me to upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Magness said:

 Not sure I would switch to a 6.1 size model either but, I really can’t see myself switching down to 5.4. 

 

That's the bind I think I'd find myself in too. Since the XR is their best selling phone, I understand why they would want to make 6.1 the new norm in future, but I don't see why that should mean the 5.8 should be bumped down to 5.4. Perhaps we'd be looking at a reduction in real estate up to the base of the notch on the X and XS, and the camera would in future be fixed into a thin bezel along the whole top of the phone, so the useable screen space would in effect be near identical to what they have now.

 

I'm not sure I buy into the rumour of the notch going in 2020. Cameras behind glass is out there, I forget who's done it on a phone already, but can it be doing without sacrificing screen accuracy and performance AND camera performance? I'm not convinced, and it doesn't strike me as something Apple would rush into unless they were convinced either. So if the notch goes next year, I think it would be because Apple find a way to shrink the front camera down into a tiny bezel strip that will instead run the entire top of the body instead of intruding into the upper middle of the display.. 

 

 

2 hours ago, iainl said:

If that mystery 5.4" screen ends up being roughly SE sized but with the screen coverage of the current range, I think I've found what would get me to upgrade.

 

I would expect it to be more like the dimensions of the 6 and 7...etc in the hand really. Those are 5.44" end to end. 

 

 

 

My XS is "Out for delivery"

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

My XS is "Out for delivery"

 

Did you buy a headphone adaptor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JFo said:

 

Did you buy a headphone adaptor?

 

I did. It (and the phone) just arrived.

 

Just backing up my 6 before embarking into the future.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Just backing up my 6 before embarking into the future.

 

z6gaKgP.gif.ebb2f4ee255de9a09a721d018f2c54db.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an odd freeze during restoration from iCloud after completing the Hey Siri instructions. Did a hard reset and it recovered without a hitch thereafter.

 

Just having an iPhone that wakes up when I pick it up feels like witchcraft. 😆

 

It’s SO much nicer to type with. Not just the fact that what I’m writing appears on real time as I type it now (not a constant occurrence on the 6, but it was becoming regular), but the size and spacing of the keys is a phenomenal improvement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello from the future!*

 

                                                            * September 2018

 

Initial observations:

 

  • FaceID is really quite brilliant. FaceID + 1Password? Pure science fiction. I want this on Macs. 

 

  • I love the screen. Bright and engaging with those wonderful OLED colours with the P3 gamut.  iOS makes brilliant use of these edge to edge displays in a way I had not fully anticipated until I opened up the forum in Safari. It all looks and feels so right. 

 

  • The speed probably tops the list for improvements. Multi-tasking between apps, app loading, and especially Safari browsing is just a joyous experience now that I am free of that 1GB RAM bottleneck. It's the first iPhone I've had that feels as fluid as an iPad Pro. I instantly understood how some of you might want to use it more than a laptop/desktop. There are subtle little animation flourishes throughout iOS that don't even surface under iOS12 on my 6 at all too thanks to the beefier processing.

 

  • I took to the lack of home button far quicker than I expected. The swipe/gesture navigation just seems so obvious a way forward that it leaves you questioning why we didn't get to this point sooner. 

 

  • Very impressed with the audio from the little speakers. The illusion of stereo even while watching something while holding the phone horizontally is quite convincing. 

 

  • The camera is a mind blowing improvement over what I've been used to. I know this year they will add an ultra-wide lens, but its the telephoto that's always been of interest to me. It seems great and I'd love it if they can bring it down to f1.8 in future to match the speed of the standard lens. Definitely looking forward to getting out with the phone and the Halide app over the coming week. 

 

  • Does the efficiency of iOS differ from one model of iPhone to another? I ask because on the XS it has reduced my used capacity to a mere 24.5GB which is a huge difference to what I had on the 6 (even after moving my photo library to the cloud). A reduction of a little over 8GB by comparison. And to think, iOS13 is said to halve the size of apps to give us even more space back! 

 

  • I guess I've found myself with the last iPhone that will support 3D Touch. I really like the concept of it so hope it transitions well to haptic press in future phones. I do think it would be smart to roll the app deletion option into the pop up menus upon pressing for 3D Touch though. It seems quite easy to press too lightly and trigger the wobbly app deletion option of old.

 

  • Speaking of haptics, those little haptic feedback notifications that trigger throughout various usage (such as liking a tweet) are unexpectedly satisfying. 

 

  • I knew it beforehand and ordered one of course, but f**k them for not including the 3.5mm dongle in the box as they did with the X. :) 

 

  • My wifi and cellular signals indoors don't really seem to be any stronger than my 6 which is disappointing, although I am judging that by the display bars as stupidly I forgot to run speedtest on my 6 before erasing it. With that said the wifi signal is certainly more stable (on the 6 at home it would drop out and default to 4G quite often).

 

  • I'm excited to see how long the battery lasts. I let it deplete to 10% after taking it out of the box, setting it up and playing around, and it's certainly taken a long time to charge back to full power so hopefully that's an indication that it will last a long time too. Tempting to get an 18w charger but we'll see if rumours are true of them being bundled with future iPad Pros before I consider getting one. I don't think I will get a wireless charging pad anytime in the next year or so. Do any of you guys use one?
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I guess I've found myself with the last iPhone that will support 3D Touch. I really like the concept of it so hope it transitions well to haptic press in future phones. I do think it would be smart to roll the app deletion option into the pop up menus upon pressing for 3D Touch though. It seems quite easy to press too lightly and trigger the wobbly app deletion option of old.

 

Another reason why I chose the XS over the XR. I've had 3D Touch since the iPhone 7, and find it quite useful. The best is using it on a keyboard to move the cursor around. I know there's a variation of this feature on the XR and other phones that don't have 3D Touch, but I don't think those are implemented quite as well.

 

22 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Speaking of haptics, those little haptic feedback notifications that trigger throughout various usage (such as liking a tweet) are unexpectedly satisfying. 

 

If you haven't already, try setting a timer in the Clock app. It's one of the most satisfying uses of haptics on the device.

 

22 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I took to the lack of home button far quicker than I expected. The swipe/gesture navigation just seem so obvious a way forward that it leaves you questioning why we didn't get to this point sooner. 

 

I also find it to be easier to swap between apps using the Home area at the bottom of the screen. Just swipe left or right and you'll switch between your most recently used apps.

 

22 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I love the screen. Bright and engaging with those wonderful OLED colours with the P3 gamut.  iOS makes brilliant use of these edge to edge displays in a way I had not fully anticipated until I opened up the forum in Safari. It all looks and feels so right. 

 

Have you tried turning True Tone on and off to see the difference? I keep it on. It looked weird at first, but now when I turn it off, everything just looks too blue.

 

22 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I knew it beforehand and ordered one of course, but f**k them for not including the 3.5mm dongle in the box as they did with the X. :) 

 

Yes, feck them, indeed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JFo said:

 

If you haven't already, try setting a timer in the Clock app. It's one of the most satisfying uses of haptics on the device.

 

Hah. Just tried it on your recommendation and that's neat, yes! Almost Switch 3D Rumble like. 

 

5 minutes ago, JFo said:

 

I also find it to be easier to swap between apps using the Home area at the bottom of the screen. Just swipe left or right and you'll switch between your most recently used apps.

 

Indeed. Maybe it's because the home button died on my old 5 (when Apple were forced to replace faulty ones for free after a period of denying there even was a fault) that has additionally left me instantly embracing the gesture based workflow. When you experience a fault like the one the 5 developed you kind of appreciate a move towards eradicating any moving parts.

 

 

5 minutes ago, JFo said:

 

Have you tried turning True Tone on and off to see the difference? I keep it on. It looked weird at first, but now when I turn it off, everything just looks too blue.

 

I have, and so far I feel as you do. I like it on, which is interesting as it debuted on the 9.7" iPad Pro which I used to own and I think I switched it off on that.

 

 

5 minutes ago, JFo said:

 

Yes, feck them, indeed.

 

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

 

 

 

 

I spoke too soon on the wifi stability. Just like my 6 I've had a few drops this evening. My 6 and now XS are the only wifi devices I have which lose their connection at home. Very strange. It wouldn't hurt to buy a better wireless router though in fairness.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

 I don't think I will get a wireless charging pad anytime in the next year or so. Do any of you guys use one?

 

That's a shame.  Wireless charging is so convenient on my X.  I have wireless charging cradles for the two primary vehicles I drive, I don't think you drive much though.  I have a stand on my desk at work that I can plop it right down on anytime and I don't have to fear wearing out the port on the phone.  And when I get a call I don't have to unplug it I can just grab it.  The Samsung Fast charger is hooked up to my computer at home and goes at a pretty good pace.  Fast chargers do make a slight difference, but most charge quickly even on a standard speed.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...