LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

15 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

That's a shame.  Wireless charging is so convenient on my X.  I have wireless charging cradles for the two primary vehicles I drive, I don't think you drive much though.  I have a stand on my desk at work that I can plop it right down on anytime and I don't have to fear wearing out the port on the phone.  And when I get a call I don't have to unplug it I can just grab it.  The Samsung Fast charger is hooked up to my computer at home and goes at a pretty good pace.  Fast chargers do make a slight difference, but most charge quickly even on a standard speed.  

I don't need a car in London, no. At my work desk at home I think, long term, I could see myself getting one purely as I hate cable clutter, and if they refuse to go USB-C on the iPhone in the next two years it'd be worth it just to rid myself of a single use cable (which almost inevitably falls apart).

Unrelated... I'm quite amazed how well FaceID works in the dark. I know people have said repeatedly that it works fine, but it's easy to question it until you finally use it for yourself. Really is brilliant. I THINK Animoji and Memoji's are also kind of brilliant too, in an absurd way. That it can recognise an eyebrow raise, and an ear wiggle is really quit ingenious in its own way. Which reminds me, one thing I have yet to try on the new phone is AR! I'll make a point to do that tomorrow sometime.

• Like 2

Glad you’re enjoying the new phone :) pics should be much better for you now especially and I’d be curious to know what you make of the portrait mode/bokeh stuff. 

Also, 
I love wireless charging simply for convenience - I use a slicecharge pad and it can charge everything at the same time. It’s super convenient but not fast or anything. I use it because it’s easy to just drop the phone or whatever on there and let it charge and its not picky about placement like some cheap pads can be. My AirPods or the iPhone or whatever can be placed pretty much anywhere on the pad and at any angle and will charge with no problems so it’s really easy to just set it down for 30min while I’m on a call or something and pick it back up after with more charge on it. The middle of the pad has a magnetic ring you can feel for the Watch too so I can charge all 3 simultaneously if I wanted. It’s really nice to have a single “drop-off” spot to charge stuff. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Unrelated... I'm quite amazed how well FaceID works in the dark. I know people have said repeatedly that it works fine, but it's easy to question it until you finally use it for yourself. Really is brilliant.

There’s lots to love about FaceID in addition to it working in the dark. I’m continually impressed that it registers my face when I’m wearing glasses, including sunglasses. Also, how it only registers when I look at the device. Really cool.

If I have a beef with FaceID at this point, it’s on the iPad. Apple continues to insist that the iPad’s natural orientation is in portrait mode, so the camera and sensors are on the “top” of the unit, opposite the USB-C port. Of course, much of the time I try to unlock it, my left hand is blocking them so it can’t read my face. If I could change anything about my iPad Pro, it would be to move the front camera to the side with the volume buttons. That seems like a more natural location for me, given the fact that most people probably use it in that orientation.

• Like 1

Got £94 back for my 6 so that’s good.

Updated my phone SIM contract today as well for 25GB data, inclusive of roaming in the EU and US all for the same £20 price I was paying for 8GB.

I never used much of the 8GB I had previously but I figured it worth the upgrade now thar I am sending and receiving more to the cloud, and it will be useful should I buy an iPad and want to use my phone as a data hotspot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Magness said:

Glad you’re enjoying the new phone :) pics should be much better for you now especially and I’d be curious to know what you make of the portrait mode/bokeh stuff. 

It’s impressive considering what’s happening under the hood. If used subtlety it feels as though it can actually be quite effective. Wider than the default f4.5 I’d urge caution though.

The issue is that it only seems to affect background focus, whereas on a dedicated camera system genuine shallow depth of field will begin to affect the subject at wider apertures too, from the nose to the ear and so on if you’re close to a live subject, so just blurring the background isn’t quite enough really, but again it’s really only below f4.5 where it gets too aggressive for my liking, but I dare say that under the right circumstances you could simulate a little wider and actually capture something that looks good.

The ingenious thing of course is that you can change the simulated aperture to anything after having taken the image to find a good balance. F5.6 and f8 seems consistently decent to help draw attention to a subject. I’ve really only experimented on inanimate objects though. At greater distances there’s potentially a better success rate below f4.5, but again you need to think carefully as depth of field is not only determined by your aperture, but distance to your subject (and a lens’ focal length) so I think it pays to bear that in mind when editing the aperture afterwards if you want to get something convincing. I’ll try it out at a street market on Sunday.

This tech can only get better. I wonder if three lenses on the 2019 cameras will improve calculations even more in this respect (possibly not since the new lens will be ultra wide, but I’m not sure). It would be nice if it wasn’t bound only to portrait node.

The simulated lightning effects are nasty, particularly the two stage ones, and studio albeit to a lesser extent. iOS 13 will let us alter how heavily these simulations get applied though, and I think with control over the contour light filter in particular there could be something of use there in the right circumstances.

• Like 1

Cool - thanks for the impressions. I would guess you’re right and the processing will only get better and better with new updates and ios13. I’m not too bothered about a new wide angle lens myself and I’m still happy with my iPhone so not looking to upgrade in Sept but, I'm hoping they keep pushing updates to the current gen for improved image processing. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Magness said:

Also, I love wireless charging simply for convenience - I use a slicecharge pad and it can charge everything at the same time. It’s super convenient but not fast or anything. I use it because it’s easy to just drop the phone or whatever on there and let it charge and its not picky about placement like some cheap pads can be. My AirPods or the iPhone or whatever can be placed pretty much anywhere on the pad and at any angle and will charge with no problems so it’s really easy to just set it down for 30min while I’m on a call or something and pick it back up after with more charge on it. The middle of the pad has a magnetic ring you can feel for the Watch too so I can charge all 3 simultaneously if I wanted. It’s really nice to have a single “drop-off” spot to charge stuff. 

You and Eldorado have definitely got me considering one. I'm quite curious about the Airpods 3 rumours circulating, as if they're to be believed they might just make me buy a pair for the first time, so those plus the phone would certainly further justify picking up a wireless charging device of some kind.

Is their any coil whine with these wireless pads? I'd probably have one on the bedside table but if there's any hint of noise I'd throw it out the window.

I’ve never heard a hint of noise from my chargers. However, my vehicle ones will cause radio interference from the lighter adapter, not the pad itself. 

• Like 1

Nothing on mine; no whine at all. I use the Slicecharge and an Anker pad so neither is “top of the line” but, neither is the cheapest one either - very middle ground Amazon buys. 

• Like 1

No - you used to be able to get them from the Amazon Marketplace but, that was the older slicecharge - the newer models are only direct orders now I think. This is the one I use and it’s on sale currently:

https://hardciderlabs.com/products/slicecharge-3in1-wireless-charger

I like the SC 2 but, I think the Pro model is rated higher (I didn’t need the pivot pad).

I like the fabric finish to it. I’ve seen that style on the Starq wireless pad as well and it’s very attractive, but that doesn’t seem to be available here either.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:11 PM, Angry the Clown said:

• I guess I've found myself with the last iPhone that will support 3D Touch. I really like the concept of it so hope it transitions well to haptic press in future phones. I do think it would be smart to roll the app deletion option into the pop up menus upon pressing for 3D Touch though. It seems quite easy to press too lightly and trigger the wobbly app deletion option of old.

Following up on this. iOS 13 Beta 4 apparently adds something interesting.

From MacRumors:

“- 3D Touch Settings - In the Accessibility section of the Settings app, there are new options for 3D Touch in the 3D & Haptic Touch section (which was previously just 3D Touch). There's a new "Touch Duration" section alongside the sensitivity slider. The Touch Duration option changes the amount of time it takes to reveal content previews, actions, and contextual menus.”

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/17/everything-new-in-ios-13-beta-4/

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is their any coil whine with these wireless pads? I'd probably have one on the bedside table but if there's any hint of noise I'd throw it out the window.

Come on, you are old now. You cannot hear the whine anymore haha

My kids swear the walkway lights (which charge as connected to the outlets) have a terrible high pitch whine... I can't hear a damn thing.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Following up on this. iOS 13 Beta 4 apparently adds something interesting.

From MacRumors:

“- 3D Touch Settings - In the Accessibility section of the Settings app, there are new options for 3D Touch in the 3D & Haptic Touch section (which was previously just 3D Touch). There's a new "Touch Duration" section alongside the sensitivity slider. The Touch Duration option changes the amount of time it takes to reveal content previews, actions, and contextual menus.”

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/17/everything-new-in-ios-13-beta-4/

Have seen a video of this and wiggle move/deletion is now also under the pop up menu! Not sure if that has removed it triggering from a regular press/hold as well though.

6 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Come on, you are old now. You cannot hear the whine anymore haha

My kids swear the walkway lights (which charge as connected to the outlets) have a terrible high pitch whine... I can't hear a damn thing.

Honestly I’m amazed at what I can still pick up. It’s made me try to be more cautious with headphone volumes over the past year or two in the hope of protecting myself further as best I can. I stopped listening to music/podcasts when walking in the city a good while back as it’s terrible amping up headphones to compete with ambient city noise.

I continue to drive my wife nuts by complaining about transformer squeal at pitches nobody else can hear, yeah.

I had another play with an XR yesterday, just to get a feel for a 6.1" phone if indeed that size is to become the norm in 2020. I THINK I could live with it. Already with the XS I am finding it so quick and powerful that I am using it for productivity and making quick edits to MS Word documents...etc, so it will be interesting to see over time just how much more I use it for such purposes. The size increase over my old 6 is very nice in horizontal mode, so I can appreciate the added benefit there with a 6.1" display.

It's a bonus that the XR size allows for excellent battery life too, which is something to bear in mind next year. Alongside a 12.9" iPad Pro it might just make a 6.1" phone ideal as a companion, almost as if once could view an iPhone as an 'iPad Mini Mini' now. We'll see. I'm not convinced it's pocketable. If they added pencil support in 2020 it would certainly up the value of a 6.1" display for me though (since the 2019 phones will apparently be able to charge other devices like airpods wirelessly, then it can't be too much of a stretch to imagine being able to charge the Pencil2 on a future model, and for that model to even have a magnet on the side to hold the pencil maybe). 

Meanwhile my Macbook Pro battery is totally dead now by the look of it. It's been giving me trouble before, with the service battery prompt being visible for a couple of months now, but I could usually at least do an SMC reset to get it to charge back up to 100%. Now it is fixed at 0% and also seems to be severely affecting performance despite being plugged in. Sluggish response times even just typing on the forum, and beach balling with delays just to add a single row in Excel...etc. 

I'll have to make an appointment with Apple. I have fewer than 800 cycles on the battery, well below the 1000 Apple declare to be the lifetime performance before recommended replacement. According to the Apple website I SHOULD be protected under consumer law in the UK/EU which covers me for technical faults 6 years after purchase (and I've had my mid-2014 spec MBP since early 2015).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's a bonus that the XR size allows for excellent battery life too, which is something to bear in mind next year. Alongside a 12.9" iPad Pro it might just make a 6.1" phone ideal as a companion, almost as if once could view an iPhone as an 'iPad Mini Mini' now. We'll see. I'm not convinced it's pocketable. 

I carry my XS Max on my pocket everyday without a problem.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Question for Apple Watch users. What improvements do you want/expect to see on future hardware revisions? 

It works perfect fine for what I use it for as it is now.. I wish there were more watch face options I actually wanted to use. Even the third party stuff is not that great,

• Like 1

Love the Watch as-is really... I’d always like more battery life and with the ECG functionality id like to see more health-type uses but, I think the Apple Watch is one of the best gadgets you can buy right now, regardless of whatever series 5 might add. 

• Like 1

I do not even think I've ever looked during the day to see if the watch was low on power

• Like 1

I'd be considering one purely for health and fitness really (I genuinely hate the idea of being connected 24/7 for web, phone, social media prompts...etc), but not until later in the year if I choose to replace my Garmin. If i feel like getting Powerbeats Pro earphones or the rumoured 3rd gen Airpods then the Apple watch with my running/workout music on, allowing me to head out without the phone, starts to become quite appealing. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'd be considering one purely for health and fitness really (I genuinely hate the idea of being connected 24/7 for web, phone, social media prompts...etc), but not until later in the year if I choose to replace my Garmin. If i feel like getting Powerbeats Pro earphones or the rumoured 3rd gen Airpods then the Apple watch with my running/workout music on, allowing me to head out without the phone, starts to become quite appealing. 

The only social media I use on my watch is messenger chat for my brother and a few friends. Most of my usage is controlling music/podcasts at work during the day, and checking mail quickly. I have the version that uses my phone., it’s always with me anyway.

• Like 1

My biggest ask for the watch is to be thinner. Having said that I stopped wearing mine several months ago as part of my reducing the noise in my life.