LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, kelley said:

My biggest ask for the watch is to be thinner. Having said that I stopped wearing mine several months ago as part of my reducing the noise in my life. 

It’s definitely not something I have any desire to wear casually, but my interest is growing as a sports watch replacement for my Garmin if/when I decide to embrace wireless headphones. Going for a run or to the gym and not having to have my phone strapped to my arm is certainly appealing.

You’re not tempted to give that wireless dongle for your P5 headphones a go? Reviews are “mixed” on Amazon, but £18 makes it tempting to give it a try. 

Hmm, I don't think so. The P5's are really just plugged into my 2-Channel amp for vinyl listening, and occasionally get plugged into my Macbook Pro. I did use them with the iPad a lot but no longer have an iPad (and a new one would require a whole other dongle), so I'm really only considering wireless headphones for fitness purposes and maybe for listing to podcasts when I am walking in a quiet park or something, as I don't listen to anything in noisy areas anymore (walking around London, on the bus or train...etc) as I don't want to ramp up the volume on my ears.

The latest dev beta release is really stable and fast. Still some tweaks here and there they are doing but it is shaping up nicely. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 5:21 AM, kelley said:

The latest dev beta release is really stable and fast. Still some tweaks here and there they are doing but it is shaping up nicely. 

Are you talking about iOS, Mac OS, TV OS or Watch OS? 🙂

18 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

Are you talking about iOS, Mac OS, TV OS or Watch OS? 🙂

Probably iPadOS

iOS and iPadOS. tvOS is not good right now. Catalina still has some app compatibility issues. 

Feeling a ridiculous urge to upgrade my Fitbit Blaze to an Apple Watch. Do we have any interesting grumblings about a 5 next month? Or is it just going to be the 4 with a faster processor?

That’s what spurred me to ask what a 5 could realistically deliver that the watch can’t already do. There’s very little to go on.

There’s some belief there won’t even be a 2019 model. If there is then they’re doing a surprisingly good job preventing leaks. There could be a basic spec bump and little else I suppose, which could mean price drops on the 4.

• Like 1

Reading up, it seems the current model doesn’t do sleep monitoring like my sub-£100 Fitbit, so there’s that to add. Apparently Apple haven’t figured out how to do it on current hardware without killing the battery. 

Im also not entirely sure if I want the gps-only or cellular one; cost on EE for the latter isn’t too bad. 

I stopped wearing my Garmin for sleep tracking as wearing it all day began to burn in an irritated and red indentation the into the skin on my wrist. I’d be curious to see if an Apple Watch did the same.

I use the Apple Watch for sleep tracking and it’s really good (no indentations but different bands may be better/worse). However, battery life with sleep tracking is only 2 days or so on my series 3 but I really like the tracking it offers and I just couldn’t do without the silent alarm anymore. I’m interested in a series 5 and think it’s likely around September again but, as Dan pointed out: even if it’s just a spec bump, that means the series 4 should be less expensive so unless you get a really good deal I’d say wait till September. 

Edit: Forgot to add that I use mine on EE and it’s absolutely brilliant on cellular. Music streaming, the occasional phone call, walking directions from maps or whatever - all works and shares data off my phone contract. No issues in 2 years now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Magness said:

I use the Apple Watch for sleep tracking and it’s really good (no indentations but different bands may be better/worse). 

It’s not actually the strap that damaged my skin with my Garmin but the base and sensors on the watch itself. Good to know the Apple ones don’t do that.

That’s interesting - I just guessed it was the band digging into your wrist or something while you slept. I wouldn’t have thought any wearables (Fitbit, Garmin, Apple or wherever) would leave marks from the device housing itself when using them for sleep tracking. To be fair, I only have experience with Fitbit (charge) and the Apple Watch but, still. 

Thanks enormously for the bit about sleep tracking and alarms; that's a really important part of what I use my Fitbit for and couldn't bear to give up. I've found that wearing mine 24/7 does eventually lead to some level of rash around both strap and particularly under the back, because the skin's just not getting enough air to it. But since going without it most Saturday nights (I don't desperately need the alarm on a Sunday morning) it's fine again. Switching from the default rubber strap to a leather one for non-exercise duties also helps.

There's apparently notice of new case types buried the latest build of WatchOS beta so there's definitely a refresh coming, but whether it's new Watch 4 casings (ceramic and titanium) or an actual Watch 5 is still unclear. 

• Like 1

Netflix on TVos will finally be getting a line for New Netflix original releases, and Upcoming releases. You can set notifications for when when something is released.

• Like 1