LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Jeez. Base capacities remain 64GB. 

I suspect that this is enough for most people. Unlike when Apple stuck people with 16GB or 32GB for the base models, it doesn't feel like there's a big outcry from users (or Apple pundits) to raise the base capacity of these phones -- at least not yet.

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’m wondering what else they could show next month.

A new Apple monitor that does not cost $7,000 would be nice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JFo said:

A new Apple monitor that does not cost $7,000 would be nice.

Here’s our $999 display!

Yay!

And our $3000+ laptop

Tell us more about the monitor! 

The new ipad is calling my name, i really need that upgraded. Will wait until black friday to see how much lower the last few Iphone models go.

• Like 1

I think I’ll be upgrading my Apple Watch Series 3 to a 5 now. Will be reading up on it before I decide but, seems like a nice update to the 4’s design and a solid upgrade for me. Having said that, the new pricing for the 3 is directly competitive with the Fitbit Versa 2 and spec-wise destroys it on everything but battery life. Even my wife (a diehard Fitbit user) asked about upgrading to a 3.

• Like 1

I need to wait for word of new Airpods before making a decision on the Watch and to see whether I’d sooner have those over Powerbeats or third party bluetooth earphones. I also want to wait and see if the 12.9 iPad Pro gets an update this year or 13” Macbook Pros get ice lake chips this side of Christmas too. Those would be priority over the watch, though I’d be happy if they were q1 2020 products as it would be easy to plan a budget for all three if the cheapest item (the watch) can be purchased first. That said, I really am itching to use Procreate again so would really love an iPad in my life. 

I was never a watch person, but I love my 4. So much easier to quickly see messages, email and notifications . Not to mention controlling podcasts and music while at work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Here’s our $999 display!

Yay!

And our $3000+ laptop

Tell us more about the monitor! 

Speaking of the laptops, did you guys see this?

Apple identifies cause of MacBook keyboard problems

John Moltz for Crazy Apple Rumors:

Much like its recent response to Google over the company’s release of details regarding an exploit of iOS, Apple has a pointed response to those who have complained about MacBook keyboards.

After months of research into complaints about butterfly keyboards on the 2016-2019 MacBook Pro and 2018 and 2019 MacBook Air, we have reached a conclusion. Complaints can uniformly be traced back to a single cause: excessive nose-picking by the user as they used the device.

Reached for comment, Apple Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering Dan Riccio was unequivocal.

“We investigated each and every case where a complaint was filed about MacBook keyboards and found that in each one the user was a dirty nose-picker.”

Gotta love Moltz.

• Haha 2

Wow I hadn't noticed there is a dark green version of the Pro, I'm loving that, close to my favorite color.

Apple will give me $220 to trade in my 8, which makes the 11 Pro quite tempting

I really want the white ceramic watch. A coworker has the previous white ceramic one and I always like the look of it. Alas the price is too much, I can get a titanium watch and upgrade from an XS to a Pro for just about the same price as the ceramic watch. 

There were some decent announcements there. The better battery life on the phones seems like a very nice upgrade. An extra 4 or 5 hours is pretty impressive. 

The price for AppleTV+ is pretty good if the content is decent. I’m a little peeved that I might miss out on the free year having just bought a phone a week ago. 

Year after year, this presentation really does just highlight more and more that the hardware really isn’t where key changes and innovations are anymore as there is only so much they can do with a “pane of glass”. 

Think I probably made the right decision, overall. That £199 Series 3 I would probably have jumped at so fast I hadn't noticed the battery life, but for once I look at the Series 5 (and I have been SO pleased with the always-on Fenix this last week I certainly can't give that up now) it may only be £429 for the larger aluminium one, the titanium and ceramic ones look so much better, but are up in "new iPhone" prices.

Oh dear Lord. Just had a play in the "configure your watch" thing. And ended up at £1249. Umm, no thanks.

• Haha 1

I really do like the new black SS on the Hermes and the new bands.   But I'm still quite happy with my S4 Hermes. 

Ah silly me, I just realized the two cameras on the plain 11 are wide and ultra-wide. What I really want is a normal lens, which is only on the Pro. That’s probably where I’m going then. 

Still checking options on the Watch S5 but, I’m leaning towards going with a Sport Gold Aluminum GPS+4G in 44mm. My original S0 was Gold and I have the S3 in Aluminum Gold and love the look of it with the “concrete” leather loop or a nice, worn tan leather strap so I’m reluctant to switch to another finish... Although I’m tempted by the SS Gold :) I might also change my mind and go with a GPS only model but the cellular connectivity is such a neat feature.

As far as the other options, Ceramic and Titanium are out of my range but, damn do they look good. 

There are times when I wish I had the cellular feature on my S4. But for how much more it added, I can live without it in those few times. 

The cellular has an appeal as if I am to get the watch exclusively for fitness then it’s useful in event of an emergency, but I don’t think I could justify the cost of the airtime.