LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

I just signed up for my free year of TV+, I was very surprised to see that they back-dated it to last month when I got my iPhone 11 Pro, I fully expected the free-year-with-purchase to start when the service launched, not when it was announced. 

I haven't watched anything yet, I just signed up on my phone while at work.

19 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

I just signed up for my free year of TV+, I was very surprised to see that they back-dated it to last month when I got my iPhone 11 Pro, I fully expected the free-year-with-purchase to start when the service launched, not when it was announced. 

That doesn’t seem right and I feel like this would be the start of a new “gate” if that were the case for everyone. Very odd.

The 3 months to claim the free year is based on the activation date, but from what I’ve read, it should be a full free year from then. 

Since I bought my phone a week too soon, I can neither confirm nor deny this. 

Is it known whether you can take advantage of the 7-day trial and then redeem the 1-year offer with a hardware purchase at a later date? My next Apple product will likely be an iPad Pro, but that may be some time away now since October came and went without a refresh. I’d like to watch the Snoopy in Space series.

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

That doesn’t seem right and I feel like this would be the start of a new “gate” if that were the case for everyone. Very odd.

The 3 months to claim the free year is based on the activation date, but from what I’ve read, it should be a full free year from then. 

Since I bought my phone a week too soon, I can neither confirm nor deny this. 

Maybe I didn’t explain my situation well. Simply due to my ignorance, I didn’t realize that the keynote on Sept 10 was the starting date for the “get a year of TV+ free with new hardware purchase” - I just assumed the starting point would be Nov 1, the day TV+ went live. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is it known whether you can take advantage of the 7-day trial and then redeem the 1-year offer with a hardware purchase at a later date? My next Apple product will likely be an iPad Pro, but that may be some time away now since October came and went without a refresh. I’d like to watch the Snoopy in Space series.

based on the qualifications in this pdf, that won’t work: https://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/EN_US_ATV+_Promo_TandCs.pdf

the second bullet:

“Offer cannot be combined with other free trials or offers for Apple TV+.“

edit: I guess that applies to US only. I’d imagine it’s the same everywhere it’s legal to do so. 

I see pretty soon we're going to have to choose whether to post about Apple TV+ here or in an "Entertainment" thread. For now, I'll post here.

I just finished watching the first 3 episodes of See and I'll admit I went in with a skeptical mindset, and generally moderated expectations. I've heard a lot about how Apple wanted family-friendly fare, and would not explore more 'adult' themes - but See has a number of key moments that fully dispense with that rumor. Not that this show is as explicit as Rome, or Game of Thrones, but it's not Pollyanna either.

Overall I'd say See is quite a good sci-fi show, with a genuinely original style. It's earnest, and perhaps a little overwrought at times, but it contains a number of turns that are a pleasant surprise. Occasionally there are questionable dialog choices, but those are outweighed by the smart ones. Visually it goes from realistically drab to quite stunning, and generally has high production values. The acting is good if not yet mesmerizing. Although one character in particular (avoiding anything close to a spoiler here) is quite compelling to watch.

Certainly a show I will continue to watch, although it will need some further character development to really take off.

9 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

Maybe I didn’t explain my situation well. Simply due to my ignorance, I didn’t realize that the keynote on Sept 10 was the starting date for the “get a year of TV+ free with new hardware purchase” - I just assumed the starting point would be Nov 1, the day TV+ went live. 

Ah, I did not read it that way at all. 

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Thanks. Will wait until I buy something new in that case (assuming the 1yr offer is available for a while).

I would be highly highly surprised if redeeming the 7 Day Trial invalidated anything. You can’t start paying for AppleTV+ without getting the free 7 Day Trial. That’s basically saying that if I decide to pay for AppleTV+, I can’t get the free year if I buy a new device. 

The whole point of this offer is the get people to try and use AppleTV+ and to encourage new device purchases. 

Picked up my Airpods Pro today.  The case is a little bit larger than the older Airpods I have (non wireless charge).  Buds are a bit harder to take out but maybe I'm not used to them yet.  Extremely easy to setup with my iPhone.  Once I put them on without any sound, the ANC kicked in right away and cut out about 90% of the noise.  I work on a trading floor so it's quite noisy in here.

Once I put on some music, the rest of the noise disappeared.  These really sound a lot better than the older ones and I do quite like the Bass output.  Took me a couple of tries to realize that the buttons are not touch like the older model.  There's a click that you hear when you push down.  I guess they tell you to press on both sides to make it easier to push the button which is only on one side.

Switching between anc/transparency modes is quite good and fast.  I quite like this feature.  So for my brief use of it this morning, I am happy with the purchase.  Will be putting them to use on the train home. 

• Like 1

Way, way down at the far edge from the cutting one, I've switched from my iPhone SE to my wife's 8, as my crummy eyes would like the extra screen size and my greedy ears want the bigger music capacity (she bought the 256GB, while my SE was maxed out at 128GB).

But because it's such old news, I forgot about a headphone adapter this morning. Now I have no music at all. Wow, the world is rubbish.

In my everyday life, the lack of a headphone jack rarely affects me as I use AirPods. 

On a recent trip though, the missing jack really became noticeable. To start, I packed my AirPods, my lightning EarPods, and a bigger over the ear set of headphones and an adapter, which all seemed like overkill. 

During the trip, on the flight specifically, there were a number of times where I wanted to switch to the over the ear headphones because the AirPods did not cut out enough of the ambient noise, but I had forgotten the adapter in my carry on bag which was not accessible.

On the flight home I got smart and had everything I might need at my seat... until the battery started to die and I had to make the choice between continuing to watch Chernobyl or charge my phone. 

Like I said, this isn’t a daily annoyance, and I don’t travel often, but because I don’t deal with this on a regular basis made it maybe even a little more annoying since I wasn’t properly prepared. 

AirPods Pro’s noise canceling is great on a 737. I sit in the exit row above the wings and they were fantastic.

• Like 1

Black friday apple deals up on best buy. Got new ipad for $100 off and the keyboard case for $60 off

5 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Black friday apple deals up on best buy. Got new ipad for $100 off and the keyboard case for $60 off

Looks like I missed it. Says $329 for me. 

Edit: never mind, I see once logged in, I get the discounted price.

Tempted by the Series 4 watches on sale at Best Buy, but was planning on getting a Series 5... decisions...

So I forgot my Airpods Pro in my other jacket this morning.  Had to use the old Airpods instead.  Have to say that I really miss the Pros!  The difference is just night and day in sound quality.

• Like 1

So the Airpod Pros - do they really sound good? And is the isolation enough for city streets and subways?

I just have a real hard time believing they sound decent as I've yet to hear active sound-isolation headphones or earphones that I like. They all sound - for lack of a better term - compressed to me, if that makes any sense. I love my in-ear Klipsch's as they have a wide-open loudspeaker presence, and with double-flanged eartips I'm pretty well isolated.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

So the Airpod Pros - do they really sound good? And is the isolation enough for city streets and subways?

I just have a real hard time believing they sound decent as I've yet to hear active sound-isolation headphones or earphones that I like. They all sound - for lack of a better term - compressed to me, if that makes any sense. I love my in-ear Klipsch's as they have a wide-open loudspeaker presence, and with double-flanged eartips I'm pretty well isolated.

I'm always confused about noise cancelling headphones.  Do they mean they seal off the ear and keep the noise out.  Or do they mean they're doing some magic with the room noise polarity to mask the room noise.

Likely both.  I know the new Airpods have Active Noice Cancellation, which sounds like reversing the outside noise to cancel out.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I'm always confused about noise cancelling headphones.  Do they mean they seal off the ear and keep the noise out.  Or do they mean they're doing some magic with the room noise polarity to mask the room noise.

Correct - "active noise canceling" tech does what you're talking about. The other, sealing off the ear to keep outside noise out, is considering "sound isolation". I was saying that I vastly prefer the latter. But then again, you have to be comfortable shoving a double-flanged eartip into your ear canal.

The part that the Pros do well is switching between ANC and Transparency mode.  I can switch to transparency and have a conversation with someone then switch back to ANC without touching the music which is great.

The new IPad is very nice, as is the keyboard case. The screen is not that much bigger then my original air, but it’s still a nice improvement. Glad I was waiting for BF so I saved myself $160 bucks which will now go towards something else that needs upgrading.

• Like 1