LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

23 hours ago, Josh said:

So the Airpod Pros - do they really sound good? And is the isolation enough for city streets and subways?

I just have a real hard time believing they sound decent as I've yet to hear active sound-isolation headphones or earphones that I like. They all sound - for lack of a better term - compressed to me, if that makes any sense. I love my in-ear Klipsch's as they have a wide-open loudspeaker presence, and with double-flanged eartips I'm pretty well isolated.

I think they are much better than the ones Sony came out with a few months ago. I’ve been really pleased at how well they did blocking out busy airport and airplane sounds. 

• Like 2

The 16” MBP may debut tomorrow, and apparently it could indeed be pitched as the standard to replace the 15” model rather than as some higher end laptop in the lineup.

It would definitely be nice to see 13” move up to 14” in future. Seems to me they’d either do that and keep the size roughly the same as the existing model since the bezels will be slimmer, or they retain the 13” screen size but use the slimmer bezel to scale down the form factor of the whole laptop and boast “our smallest/lightest MacBook pro ever” which unfortunately would be the most Apple thing to do.

And here’s the 16” MBP. The 15” is now discontinued from the lineup.

The webcam is still 720p. 🤦‍♂️ Really thought we might get FaceID too, but no. No wifi6 is also an odd omission. Good news all round on the keyboard though. Bigger battery too.

I’m not sure I want the expense of the larger machine. I kept telling myself I don’t really want a laptop again, at least not to serve as my main computer but I can’t run everything I want on an iPad. I’m still likely to hold out for the next 13” refresh as even without a dedicated GPU it would now outperform my mid 2014 15” MBP.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I spent quite a bit of time listening to podcasts and reading up on the new 16” MacBook Pro. Even though this is a product I wouldn’t plan on getting for myself, I’m excited about it because of what it means for the rest of Apple’s notebook lineup — particularly the 13” (soon to be 14”?) model.

My wife is in desperate need of a new laptop sometime soon. She's using a pre-Retina 13” from 2012, and it is on its last legs. She hasn’t been in a big hurry to replace it, but I still didn’t want her to end up with one of the current/old models with the butterfly keyboard, lest it start having issues. I hope that the smaller model gets a redesign next, presumably sometime early next year. My guess is that this is the model she would go for, since she seems to like the smaller form factor of that model.

Nice interview with Phil Schiller on the 16" MBP:

That Microphone seems genuinely impressive. Would be great to see that filter into future 13" MBPs and iMacs.

49 minutes ago, JFo said:

I hope that the smaller model gets a redesign next, presumably sometime early next year. My guess is that this is the model she would go for, since she seems to like the smaller form factor of that model.

The current 13" is really great, even at the base level, but yes I really hope 13" becomes 14 next year. My fear is Apple would sooner stick to 13" in a smaller form factor thanks to the reduced bezel, but on the other hand making the MBP line up 14" and 16" would help differentiate it further from the 13" Air. 14" seems logical, but then "our smallest Macbook Pro EVAAAAAHHH" also seems very Apple, so it could go either way.

I'd assume there'd still be no way to cram a dedicated GPU into a 14" model, but the Ice Lake Intel chips that should go into MBPs next year genuinely seem to have some good graphical performance on board (again, the latest 10th gen Intel GPU would certainly appear be a step up over the NVIDIA GPU in my 2014 MBP from numbers I've seen).

Lack of 10th gen intel chips in the 16" model is seemingly why it lacks WiFi6 support apparently.  

I wonder if we'd see the Ice Lake chip go into a Mac Mini in 2020. It could do with the update.

21 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

14" seems logical, but then "our smallest Macbook Pro EVAAAAAHHH" also seems very Apple, so it could go either way.

Given the fact that this new laptop -- as well as the iPhones 11 (normal and Pro) -- are both slightly thicker and heavier than previous models, I think it's likely that the smaller MBP can go the same route as well.

On 11/14/2019 at 6:48 PM, JFo said:

Given the fact that this new laptop -- as well as the iPhones 11 (normal and Pro) -- are both slightly thicker and heavier than previous models, I think it's likely that the smaller MBP can go the same route as well.

Deleted segment from the interview above posed the 14” question to Schiller:

That’s a wavering answer to be sure, but by the end seems to suggest that if the 16” model’s new changes and additions are received warmly, and if demand is there, then it will happen. It would seem crazy to me if it didn’t, but that's likely as good an answer as we'll get for now while they still have 2019 13" spec models they want to sell over the holidays. Even if the display size doesn't change, as a bare minimum there's no way they can't just sit back and deny the smaller model the chance to inherit the new keyboard layout and design. Hopefully its not left as late as WWDC though (since the 16" debuted without fanfare then hopefully we could see something in February/March).

Yeah, it's really something I thought would find it into the next Macbook Pro refresh. Perhaps with the finger sensor there they considered it pointless, which leads me to wonder if the long overdue iMac re-design could in fact be a better contender for incorporating FaceID (unless they opt to incorporate TouchID into the power button on that too. I do think the iMacs deserve some kind of modern ID sensor either way).

Been a few weeks with the Iphone 11, and a week with the newer regular ipad. Both are fantastic. I do wish the ipad had face Id, but after not having an Ipad with touch ID Im more then good with it.

• Like 1

Picked up the iPhone 11 Pro today, haven't had an iPhone since the 3s, pretty good experience so far, but they really haven't made it possible to place apps anywhere you want on the home screen yet? 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:09 AM, JoeyN said:

Well In the last week my 6s battery has taken a turn for the worse. As in dies in an hour, if not in low power mode. So I just ordered an 11, and will pick it up tomorrow. Now just hoping the iPad Air holds out until Black Friday.

Nice.  I'm in the same boat.  My +4yr old iPhone 6 battery is also on its last legs.  Drains super fast if not in low power and now my lightning port has some connectivity issues.  Can't get phone to sync with PC (fortunately the last backup was only a month or two ago) but can still manage to charge it.  Sooo I just placed an order for a iPhone 11 pro max.  I've taken my share of pics with the 6 over the years and am looking forward to using the new camera and the larger screen of the 11.  

• Like 2

Weird - my 1st-gen Watch kicked the bucket this week. Wasn't showing any issues, battery life was still fine. Just a red exclamation point now.

Went to look at the 16” MBP today. It’s definitely lovely, but too heavy for me to want to lug around. Keyboard seemed great and had a nice texture to the keys. Honestly a 14” would be amazing. Ugh. Please do it, Apple.

Looked at the iPad Pros again too and I forgot just how small the 11” is. It’s so lovely and portable but I just feel that I would want the real estate of the bigger model (which itself always surprises me when I see it in person as it really did benefit immensely from the removal of touchID and the reduced bezels).

• Like 1

Finally got time to take my Macbook Pro in for battery replacement next Tuesday. Booked it in just now so hopefully that goes smoothly. I'm really interested to see if they charge me or not. It died at 758 cycles and they are supposed to be good for 1000, which would mean I should be covered by 6yr UK consumer law from point of sale. One accidental knock of the Magsafe cable and the whole laptop crashes. Not an ounce of life left in the battery at all. 

• Like 1

Anyone else notice how aggressive the new iOS is at killing apps?  I was reading an article on my X the other day, hit the button to put it in sleep, then not even two minutes later picked it back up and the app had reset and refreshed and the article was gone.  It's getting a bit annoying to be honest.  It's like you can't ever continue what the hell you were doing.  It did this to some extent previously but it has seemed really awful since 13, and it's myriad of updates, dropped. 

Ya, that was a bug that was supposed to have been fixed in a recent update (I forget which). 

My battery life has been cut short recently, and it feels like it started around the upgrade to 13.2.3. Not too sure though. When I got the XR in August, it was easily making it a day and a half, now I’m barely making it to the end of the day. 

Well damn it I won’t be getting my MBP back until next Thursday as they apparently give you an entirely new base section due to the stupid way batteries are glued to the chassis. So I’m computer-less for nine days (they said they’d call if it’s ready sooner. All the parts were available). Jury’s out on whether I get charged or not. Looking at £200 if I am.

It’ll be interesting just getting by with an iPhone until I get the computer back. An urge to rush out and buy an iPad Pro is certainly there at times like this, but I shall resist. 

I really do not like Apple Stores. The big ones are OK as they segregate “Genius” bar sections off a lot better (Covent Garden and Regent St put theirs on dedicated floors of the building for example), but the smaller stores are just a jumble of products, live talks and the genius bar helpers all in one open space. It’s a mess of noise.

• Like 1

I have to say, the picture quality on TV+ is pretty astounding. To my eyes it surpasses all the other major streaming platforms. Morning Show in particular routinely has eye-popping detail. See isn't far behind.

Have you ever checked out Marvelous Ms Maisel on amazon? One of the best looking shows I’ve seen.