LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Have you ever checked out Marvelous Ms Maisel on amazon? One of the best looking shows I’ve seen.

I have, great show, it does look great, but I think Apple is on a whole other level. Although this reminds me that it can be difficult to separate high production values (including cameras, lenses, and lighting) from a HQ stream. I was wondering about that while watching The Morning Show because it clearly is well shot and lit, but I don't think that explains the level of detail. I've never seen so many pores on people's skin in a stream. See is no slouch either.

It could be my new gigabit internet connection playing a role as well. That matched with Apple's own hardware (Apple TV) may allow them to scale the data rate higher than 3rd party apps on the ATV. I dunno, just a guess.

Quality wise, I would say the ATV+ content looks better than most to me as well. I haven’t watched much yet (saving most series for the Christmas break) but, what I did watch was really crisp and some of the best 4K HDR I’ve seen. Up there with UHD’s in Plex. Amazon’s 4K stuff hasn’t looked all that good to me with the exception of Good Omens - I think that was the best looking show I’ve seen on Amazon. 

I thought Brittany Runs and Marathon and The Report both looked good in 4k on Prime this past week. The Report has a lot of dimly lit scenes and I noticed nothing distracting. I do agree that Apple’s quality is particularly good though.

The challenging stuff is going to be film based content that’s particularly grainy as that’s where the low bitrates struggle, and the low rates can also introduce banding regardless of whether it’s animation/digital/film based content (even the obscene bitrates on discs can’t always escape it). 

I still haven’t bought very many titles on iTunes though as if there’s a disc it will always been by first choice, unless it’s a title I have only a passing interest in like Predator 2 for example, and Predator 2 is probably the worst 4k title I have in my iTunes library (there seems to be heavy DNR in places to combat the streaming bitrate, and I’ve not read of the disc being the same).

Hopefully the iTunes winter sale will start soon as there were some absurd bargains last year.

Apple’s video and music streaming operation could be SO much better though. On the music side, lack of lossless options still seems silly to me this day in age, even if they limit it to purchases rather than streaming. 

As far as movies/TV goes I wish they wouldn’t make the download sizes of video files half that of their streaming quality, and I wish you could download 4k content. I also hate that for some TV box sets if early seasons were SD but latter HD you get stuck with everything in SD. You see this a lot with British stuff. They also need to provide more detailed information like data on aspect ratios as I was caught out last year buying stuff that wasn’t presented correctly (impressively they did refund me at least). Oh and stop making people jump through hoops to access content from other store regions.

Apple could solve so much of my trouble with whether to buy stuff on there with a short clip of what you’re actually getting, rather than purely trailers. Just enough to check aspect ratio, which master is used, sound formats etc. 

im not sure there will be a massive January sale like last year, though - Black Friday reductions weren’t that exciting. 

• Like 1

Orders for the 2019 Mac Pro are now live. If you like, you can spend $25,000 on 1.5TB of RAM. $400 for the wheels.

At these prices, the extra $1,400 they charge for 4TB of internal storage seems like steal!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

You can max one out for $52,000.

I’ve ordered nine. Almost went for ten but more than two in the bathroom seemed a bit excessive.

What about the Pro Display XDR? How many of those did you get? 15? 20? Make sure to order plenty of extra stands in case you lose one.

2 minutes ago, JFo said:

What about the Pro Display XDR? How many of those did you get? 15? 20? Make sure to order plenty of extra stands in case you lose one.

I don’t need the stands. I’ve ordered 32 of the displays which will make up an entire wall 8x4. Seemed like the most cost effective thing to do.

I drew the line at an extra £50 for the Magic Trackpad though.

Just collected my MBP from repair. Glad to finally get that done. Still not sure why it took nine days, but oh well. Had to pay the fee unfortunately. Booted it up in store and all my data is still there so no need to do a restore from backup thankfully.

Spent time with the iPads again with a view to getting a 2020 model when released. I’m warming to the 11” size Pro. I doodled in procreate and did a bit of multitasking. I just don’t know if I’d regret not going 12.9 though. When I see it my brain convinces me the bigger one would be just fine for every day use and easy to hold. I can’t be certain unless I lived with one for an extended period though.

When I make plans for owning an assortment of new Apple products I try to avoid redundancy between devices cannibalising one another where possible, so with a view to now getting a 13” mbp next year I am not sure if I’d sooner partner that with an 11” iPad Pro. The extra real estate of the big Pro does make it a nicer drawing canvas, especially if you want to split the screen with a reference image open on screen. There is an argument for the 12.9 making an ideal sidecar second screen with a 14” mbp too. 

• Like 1

I've been using the 12.9" for a couple of years now and I couldn't see myself with anything smaller. If carrying something the size of a notebook didn't work for me (like if I had to have something smaller for a bag) then maybe I'd look at the 11".

That's the old bigger/heavier 12.9 presumably if you've had it that long? It's when they slimmed it down and removed touchID that it really became a practical proposition for me. I just keep wondering how practical it might be away from a desk. Would I find it too cumbersome in bed, too cumbersome and weighty for single hand use after long periods, too cumbersome on an economy flight or a long haul coach journey.

Unless Capture One came to iPad, I can't legitimately see using one for anything other than entertainment and word processing document management. Lengthy writing work I'd still sooner relegate to a laptop too purely for the preference of the proper keyboard. I'm re-acquiring a love of drawing again, and learning the rules again, but it will always be a hobby, so in that respect I don't know if I need the bigger canvas since I am not a professional artist. I'll happily wait it out for 2020 models, but I really do need to make a decision.

I'm still thinking about my next computer and just did an experiment minimising Capture One to a 13" window and also 14" and it's quite surprising what a difference there is between the two on a photo application like that. It really would be such a mistake if Apple did not bump the 13" MBP to 14" in 2020. With 13 I think were I at my desk I'd want it hooked up to a monitor almost all the time for that kind of work, whereas with 14" I could happily get by with the laptop's own display for a lot of the time, and only turning to the external monitor for the most important editing and colour correction tasks. 

I did look at the 16" again today. A real conundrum is going to be that upping a 13/14" to a higher spec will be very close to the cost of a 16" base model. I've got plenty of time to think as I've no plans to replace my 15" until at least the new 13" comes out. If certain software were available on iPad my decision making next year would be so much simpler as I'd go iMac > 12.9" iPad in a heartbeat, but as it is a desktop, laptop and a tablet would all have uses for me but I won't be able to afford all three in 2020.

Yeah, the one I have is the previous body style 12.9". One thing I like better about this version is the fact you can (or could) buy a variety of Smart Covers for it. That's the way I prefer to carry it. Just the Smart Cover over the screen which allows me to also use it as a stand. 

They only sell folio cases for the new body style which is too much. And the colors are really lacking. 

33 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Yeah, the one I have is the previous body style 12.9". One thing I like better about this version is the fact you can (or could) buy a variety of Smart Covers for it. That's the way I prefer to carry it. Just the Smart Cover over the screen which allows me to also use it as a stand. 

They only sell folio cases for the new body style which is too much. And the colors are really lacking. 

The new keyboard folio cases don't seem as versatile as the old ones. I'm not sure what I'd decide in that respect. 

I love the 2018 Pro model and use the 11” with a smart folio off Amazon (navy blue leather). I like the case quite a bit especially with the Pencil attached magnetically and I think this design (the iPad Pro) is the best yet. The smart folio works and is good but, attaches magnetically so was a little weird at first. I was always scared it would pop out but, it never has. Regardless, I loved the older design on the 12.9” and had no issues with that one for 2 years (used a Smart Cover + a skin on the back) so there really is no downside to either on design. The newer models are faster of course and lighter weight so that’s probably a bigger consideration than the bevel-less or small bezel designs :) 

Do you ever draw on yours, Dave? I'm curious what happens with the keyboard folio flipped over when applying pressure with the pencil and whether that accidentally registers a key press. It'd bug me having to remove the folio whenever I want to draw.  

Only occasionally draw on it these days but, I’ve not had any issues when I do draw with it, no accidental key presses or anything. I use the smart folio though so no keyboard on the reverse side ( I use an external Logitech keyboard). 

Finally had a thought to try and find out how to defat an infuriating CUDA bug on my Macbook Pro as NVIDIA have not updated the drivers for Macs in a couple of years now and Youtube came to the rescue. Not sure if anyone else has this problem with non-AMD based Macs, but if you do have a look at this (mute the irritating music):

I'd get the update prompt EVERY TIME I booted up the Mac from shutdown, despite the fact there's never been any driver to update. This solved it perfectly.

Any reason not to get a standard iPad?  They are really cheap at Target, $250, plus another 5% off with their card and I also assume I would still be eligible for the year of AppleTV+.  I’d just be using it for web browsing, videos, some games, nothing intensive. 

No reason not to get the standard iPad (especially at that price) for web browsing, video and games. As Dan said, the Pro, etc will have higher performance and I believe the standard iPad is limited to the Apple Pencil 1 if that matters to you but, the standard iPad is still a great tablet: Good screen, good battery life and everything. 

• Like 2